Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 279 [280] 281 282 283 ... 313 Go Down Reply
Author

Tennis News

(Read 123964 times)
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4185 on: June 04, 2013, 07:08 PM »

An article on the new partnership-sounds like the grass season is going to be something of a trial-run period

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22776562
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4186 on: June 04, 2013, 07:10 PM »

She's had far too many coaching changes and someone needs to sort that serve out Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4187 on: June 04, 2013, 08:58 PM »

Also she needs somebody to tell her that if she wants to get anywhere she needs to start growing up and make more of a commitment to the game.  Well Krajan told her that, and she didn't like it, so Shrug  Maclagan had the reputation of being a 'yes man' when he was Andy's coach so, given Laura's temperament, I can see the same thing happening here.
[ Last edit by Aileen June 04, 2013, 09:08 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4188 on: June 04, 2013, 09:12 PM »

Although let us not forget is was under Maclagan that Murray made his most significant progress - from around the top 10 to becoming the 4th member of the 'Big 4'.

Laura seems to be quite a big confidence player. She enjoys being out there. It's a tough line between being completely serious and focused (and maybe losing the fun element of it) or being able to go out there and have fun but then maybe not taking it completely seriously.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4189 on: June 04, 2013, 09:28 PM »

Didn't Maclagen turn Murray into a full time pusher? Before he was quite aggressive, but then he turned to that.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4190 on: June 04, 2013, 09:48 PM »

Good for Laura trying something different. She strikes me as a little madam though so Miles may have his work cut out!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4191 on: June 04, 2013, 10:25 PM »

I think it's a pretty interesting choice. I wonder if Andy has had any part in it.

From what I remember people were telling Andy he was playing all wrong to win slams way before Maclagan was on the scene. I just don't think Andy was ready to make a big change to the way he played then, for whatever reason. Still, Andy didn't do too badly at that time. I think all his coaches have played a part in his story, but they have had good material to work with.

What I think Laura has is the same sort of confidence - note I said confidence, not arrogance - that Andy has always had. Laura, at least I think, knows she's a good player, which she is. What I get the feeling she needs is someone to direct that talent a bit, show her that she has potential, but she has a way to go yet. At the same time I think she needs someone who she can click with on some level. Her previous coach is known as a taskmaster, the suggestion was that he'd taken all the fun out of it. Personally I thought the way he mouthed off about Laura after they parted made him sound like an overbearing bully. Trying to teach her is one thing. Insulting the kid is something else.

Laura's default setting appears to be aggression. That has to be good. However, I hope Miles can temper that just a bit. She has to go for it, but sometimes I think she can throw caution to the wind too much and it makes her reckless. I wonder if that is the issue with her serve, or is it technical?

As long as Maclagan doesn't sit smirking when he watches Laura, as he used to do with Andy at times, it might work out well. Laura wouldn't be the first player to try a few coaches before she finds the right one for her.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4192 on: June 04, 2013, 10:38 PM »

I agree TJ, that Krajan sounds like a bully and I'm glad the lovely Laura has split with him.

from Simon Briggs: Krajan has previously worked with Dinara Safina, who became the world No 1 under his guidance but then left the game at the unusually early age of 25, and the Slovakian Dominika Cibulkova, who described him as “very intense all the time”.

After their relationship ended last July, Cibulkova added: "He was just putting too much pressure and with every ball I missed and every match I lost I was just putting myself really down because he was very, very tough.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/10042990/Laura-Robson-splits-from-hard-taskmaster-Croatian-coach-Zeljko-Krajan.html
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4193 on: June 04, 2013, 10:58 PM »

Elena, I'd forgotten Krajan worked with Safina. That might go some way to explaining why the kid always looked such a nervous wreck. I think Laura is well rid of him. I admire her for having the balls to make a change. It is her career after all.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4194 on: June 04, 2013, 11:55 PM »

Didn't Maclagen turn Murray into a full time pusher? Before he was quite aggressive, but then he turned to that.
Dispensing with the services of Brad Gilbert wasn't a smart move on Andy's part, but I can understand why it happened.  Due to the LTA trying to save money, players and coaches were required to share the same hotel accommodation, so in this case you've got a teenager being with someone old enough to be his father virtually 24/7.  Gilbert complained about Andy always wanting to listen to pop music or play computer games, while Andy complained that Gilbert never stopped talking, and nearly always about tennis.  Interestingly it was after they split that the LTA changed that ridiculous rule and allowed players and coaches to have separate rooms.
[ Last edit by Aileen June 05, 2013, 12:00 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4195 on: June 08, 2013, 03:05 AM »

MILOS RAONIC REVEALS LJUBICIC AS COACH, REPLACING BLANCO   [Toronto Sun, 7 June]

Canada's top male tennis player has hired former world No. 3 Ivan Ljubicic as his coach.

Milos Raonic, ranked 16th in the ATP, started working with Ljubicic at the French Open in Paris late last month. He parted ways with his former coach, Spaniard Galo Blanco, at the beginning of May.

"Being coached by Ivan will really offer a new dimension to my game," Raonic said in a statement released by Tennis Canada. "He brings such a vast knowledge of the game and his recent experience on tour is a major plus for my development. We both come from aggressive styles of play so he can definitely understand the mentality I have on court and areas where I can improve.

"I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from him and to continue to grow my game in the best way possible."

Ljubicic retired in 2012 with a career-best ranking of third in the world. He won 10 titles during a 14-year career and teamed up with Mario Ancic to snag a bronze medal in men's doubles at the 2004 Olympics in Athens.

"Working with Milos will be a great challenge," Ljubicic said. "He already has great weapons and I am looking forward to helping him develop his game even further this season. Since I retired I have never been too far from the Tour and I think that my familiarity with the Tour can be of help to Milos."

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/07/milos-raonic-reveals-ljubicic-as-coach-replacing-blanco
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4196 on: June 20, 2013, 10:38 PM »

It seems that Russell Fuller will be the new BBC Tennis Correspondent, taking over from Jonathan Overend.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4197 on: June 23, 2013, 01:01 PM »

http://www.changeovertennis.com/tomas-berdych-and-pseudofed-know-a-lot-of-wham-songs-win-twitter/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tomas-berdych-and-pseudofed-know-a-lot-of-wham-songs-win-twitter

Lol.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4198 on: June 23, 2013, 01:57 PM »

Dispensing with the services of Brad Gilbert wasn't a smart move on Andy's part, but I can understand why it happened.  Due to the LTA trying to save money, players and coaches were required to share the same hotel accommodation, so in this case you've got a teenager being with someone old enough to be his father virtually 24/7.  Gilbert complained about Andy always wanting to listen to pop music or play computer games, while Andy complained that Gilbert never stopped talking, and nearly always about tennis.  Interestingly it was after they split that the LTA changed that ridiculous rule and allowed players and coaches to have separate rooms.

I think Brad and Andy were just wrong for each other then. Ironically, they might've worked better now - but Andy's got Lendl and I doubt he'd give him up.

I think Andy's more mature now, more equipped to tell someone to pipe down, whereas he might have been less assertive back then. I think Brad comes across like he's mellowed a tiny bit as well, but he still likes the sound of his own voice, bless him.

It was bonkers of the LTA to expect young players to share rooms with coaches. When you consider the money they've wasted for years they had a bit of a nerve.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4199 on: June 28, 2013, 11:51 PM »

This is such a good read. An Irish pro talks about the trials and tribulations of being a sub-journeyman on the tennis tour:

http://jamesmcgeetennis.com/2013/06/24/financing-the-tour/
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 279 [280] 281 282 283 ... 313 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »