Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Somdev Devvarman, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 296 [297] 298 299 300 ... 313 Go Down Reply
Author

Tennis News

(Read 121715 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4440 on: January 20, 2014, 12:06 AM »

BERNARD Tomic will be sidelined for up to three months after scans revealed a mysterious but longstanding hip injury ruling him out of Australia's Davis Cup tie with France in a fortnight.

Tomic tried to delay surgery until after the January 31-February 2 tie, but was overruled by doctors. He will be operated on in the next week in Melbourne.

Tomic was jeered after retiring hurt one set into his first-round clash with Rafael Nadal last Tuesday, but further scans have confirmed the groin tear was related to his femoralacetabular impingement (FAI).

FAI is a condition affecting the hip joint in young and middle-aged adults, hindering agility and movement.

Dr Martin Clark said Tomic may have been hindered by FAI for up to a decade but expected him to make a full recovery in time for May's French Open.

..."It is remarkable that he has had the success he has had considering this hip condition. The good news is that it can be fixed with surgery with most athletes returning with superior agility and speed.

"It's a condition that a lot of people have.''
more at http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/bernard-tomic-out-of-action-for-12-weeks-due-to-have-surgery-on-hip-injury/story-fnkrowp0-1226805073628
Having had a look at this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femoral_acetabular_impingement - it seems that people can have this abnormality of the hip and never know about it, but obviously it's going to show itself in people who play a lot of sport or who have an active lifestyle, which might explain why Lady Gaga had it (well-known sufferers are listed). 

In fact it sounds a bit like Andy's bipartite patella, which went undiagnosed until he started feeling pain in his knee, and even then it took ages to find out what was wrong, but which, again, people can have without being aware of a problem unless they start doing some strenuous activity.  BP though is not very common, and successful surgery cannot be guaranteed, whereas FAI is the opposite, and the prognosis for Tomic sounds excellent.  Incidentally, neither condition is congenital but is due to lack of proper bone development in childhood.

I wonder though how far FAI has been responsible for some of Tomic's patchier performances?
[ Last edit by Aileen January 20, 2014, 12:25 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4441 on: January 31, 2014, 09:24 PM »

Caroline Wozniacki fires her coach Thomas Hogstedt after only three months.  New one expected to be announced very soon.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcjSa?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=tennis
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4442 on: January 31, 2014, 09:55 PM »

Caroline Wozniacki fires her coach Thomas Hogstedt after only three months.  New one expected to be announced very soon.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcjSa?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=tennis

If she loses at any event early, she always sacks the coach. No time given whatsoever. Good look winning a Slam Shitniacki.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4443 on: January 31, 2014, 09:57 PM »

If she loses at any event early, she always sacks the coach. No time given whatsoever. Good look winning a Slam Shitniacki.
Hmmm - a case of not wanting to address her own issues, by the sound of it.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4444 on: February 05, 2014, 08:58 PM »

http://www.changeovertennis.com/atp-dark-age-coming/

Folks,I've posted this on 3 separate threads, apologies for duplication, but I didn't want anyone whose interested in tennis when Andy hangs his racquets up, to miss it.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4445 on: February 06, 2014, 06:49 PM »

really interesting bbh.  Looking on the bright side it suggests Andy's dominance could continue for some years.  But in the longer term not so good at all of course.  What the article doesn't mention is that so many of the tin generation are not touch players like Grigor but boring servebots. 
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4446 on: February 06, 2014, 06:53 PM »

Let's hope there are some really talented juniors coming through.  The two young Australians who were included in the DC team look useful and Andy seems to have a lot of faith in Kyle Edmonds - you never know!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4447 on: February 06, 2014, 07:32 PM »

Let's hope there are some really talented juniors coming through.  The two young Australians who were included in the DC team look useful and Andy seems to have a lot of faith in Kyle Edmonds - you never know!

I really like Kokkinakis' game, but Nick Kyrigos' is not for me, too reliant on a big serve.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4448 on: February 06, 2014, 07:41 PM »

Ridiculous article lol
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4449 on: February 06, 2014, 08:08 PM »

Nadal pulls out of Buenos Aires with a 'stomach virus'. Here we go again.

Masaka, you there?
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4450 on: February 06, 2014, 08:14 PM »

Nadal pulls out of Buenos Aires with a 'stomach virus'. Here we go again.

Masaka, you there?

Yep not surprised at all. I predicted another "break". The Nadal farce rampages on.  Somewhere there must be an awesome spreadsheet tracking which excuses have been dusted off recently. I wonder if it the same stomach virus which "afflicted" him before the AO in 2013.  I imagine he is concentrating on getting himself in pristine fettle for the Clay Court season.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4451 on: February 06, 2014, 09:19 PM »

Stomach ache affects Thugdal and he runs for his dummy, while grabbing the phone to tell organisers that he will not be playing.

But problem cannot be found ?

argument.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4452 on: February 06, 2014, 09:25 PM »

Hes a feckin hypochondriac that rafa  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4453 on: February 06, 2014, 09:27 PM »

To be fair Nadal could have one of those stomachs, one that reacts easily to stress or when he's a bit low. Either that or he's got the dodgiest stomach in tennis or a dodgy chef.

See, I tried to be sympathetic, but it didn't suit me.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4454 on: February 06, 2014, 10:06 PM »

Yep not surprised at all. I predicted another "break". The Nadal farce rampages on.  Somewhere there must be an awesome spreadsheet tracking which excuses have been dusted off recently. I wonder if it the same stomach virus which "afflicted" him before the AO in 2013.  I imagine he is concentrating on getting himself in pristine fettle for the Clay Court season.
Stomach viruses are a very common excuse.  Can't he think up something more original? Rolling Eyes

I posted this on the Nadal thread yesterday because it's about his progress following his 'back injury', and meant to put it here as well, only I forgot - http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/27128/20140204/rafael-nadal-schedule-2014-atp-tour-next-tournament-buenos-aires.html

He's scheduled to play Rio after BA, so I reckon we can expect a withdrawal from that as well.  Then of course he'll turn up all nice and fresh in IW and win it, same as he did last year, and nobody will say squeak.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 296 [297] 298 299 300 ... 313 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »