Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  The ATP love/hate thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

The ATP love/hate thread

(Read 1195 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

The ATP love/hate thread « on: January 22, 2012, 09:18 PM »

The comments about Berdych on another thread got me thinking. It's interesting when there's a bit of needle between particular players. Who do we know about on the ATP tour who actively dislike each other (or the opposite, although that's more boring)?

Here's a few haters to kick off:

Tsonga-Djokovic
Federer-Djokovic and also not a big fan of Muzza.
Soderling-Nadal
Berdych-almost anyone
Hewitt-Argentinians
Mathieu-Fish (apparently)
Muzza-del Potro (or is this now sorted?)
[ Last edit by Grabcopy January 22, 2012, 09:21 PM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: The ATP love/hate thread « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:21 PM »

Here's the Mathieu-Fish incident. Fish does seem to have had a charisma bypass.

IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: The ATP love/hate thread « Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 09:22 PM »

Tsonga & novak.  Really? I didnt know that. Whats the history between they two that proves they dont like each other? 
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: The ATP love/hate thread « Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 09:23 PM »

Fish does seem to have an issue with les francais:

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: The ATP love/hate thread « Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 09:24 PM »

Tsonga & novak.  Really? I didnt know that. Whats the history between they two that proves they dont like each other? 

'Emma' was on here talking about it the other day. It goes back to the Aussie Open final of 08. Try to find Emma's post.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: The ATP love/hate thread « Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 09:30 PM »

I get the impression that it's now sorted between Murray and Del P. The spat at Rome in 2008 looked like a hangover from their junior days. After that, I think they both realised that they needed to grow up a bit. I'm sure I even saw a picture of them practising together a while back.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: The ATP love/hate thread « Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 09:30 PM »

Here, I found Emma's post about the Djoker and Tsonga:

'It all started in 2008 AO when they both made the final in which Novak saw a 4 sets victory over Tsonga. I guess because they were both very new to the Grand Slam final, Tsonga took the loss a bit too personally, especially when he won the first set and everyone was under the impression at that moment that, he was going to lead it all the way. Since then on, both are at odds.

In 2008 alone, they met 3 more times and guess what? Tsonga beat Novak in all of them including that tiny title final in Bangkok. Because I prefer Novak, I was getting sick and tired at the venom. LOL.

I do like Tsogna though but this match up is way too bitter for my taste. Even last year in Montreal, Tsonga decided to retire when Novak was 1 set up. His reasons were too funny and I was watching it live. I was fully convinced Tsonga didn't want to give Novak the satisfaction of winning against him once again. Tsonga pretty much walked up to the umpire and told him Novak was playing too good for him and then the next thing you know, he retires totally out of the blue. And then in Paris, Novak decided to pull out completely and his next round opponent was Tsonga. Coincidence? I don’t think so. LoL

Tsonga, in fact, leads the H2H (5-4). However, in Grand Slams, Novak leads 2-1. Novak's biggest/worst enemy is, in fact, Tsonga  not Federer or Nadal or Andy.'
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: The ATP love/hate thread « Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 09:32 PM »

The comments about Berdych on another thread got me thinking. It's interesting when there's a bit of needle between particular players. Who do we know about on the ATP tour who actively dislike each other (or the opposite, although that's more boring)?

Here's a few haters to kick off:

Tsonga-Djokovic
Federer-Djokovic and also not a big fan of Muzza.
Soderling-Nadal
Berdych-almost anyone
Hewitt-Argentinians
Mathieu-Fish (apparently)
Muzza-del Potro (or is this now sorted?)
Suggest L. Hewitt - The Rest of the Tour.

No one likes him apparently, I read recently. Too abusive to other players.

Is there any evidence out there?
h
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The ATP love/hate thread « Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 09:33 PM »

Daniel Koellerer - basically anyone. Though Koellerer is now serving a life ban for match fixing.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: The ATP love/hate thread « Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 09:35 PM »

Back in the day, Agassi hated Chang (cos Chang believed God helped him win tennis matches - why would God choose Chang and not his opponent?) and Becker, who always cracked on he was really 'deep'. Agassi and Brad Gilbert used to call him BB Socrates.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: The ATP love/hate thread « Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 09:39 PM »

More interestingly, legendary dubs pair Bob Hewitt and Frew McMillan refused to speak to each other, despite winning five slams together.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: The ATP love/hate thread « Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 09:46 PM »

There was the Blake-Gonzo thing as well (Olympics?), where Gonzo claimed the ball hadn't touched his racket, although the world and his wife clearly heard contact.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: The ATP love/hate thread « Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 09:58 PM »

Here, I found Emma's post about the Djoker and Tsonga:

'It all started in 2008 AO when they both made the final in which Novak saw a 4 sets victory over Tsonga. I guess because they were both very new to the Grand Slam final, Tsonga took the loss a bit too personally, especially when he won the first set and everyone was under the impression at that moment that, he was going to lead it all the way. Since then on, both are at odds.

In 2008 alone, they met 3 more times and guess what? Tsonga beat Novak in all of them including that tiny title final in Bangkok. Because I prefer Novak, I was getting sick and tired at the venom. LOL.

I do like Tsogna though but this match up is way too bitter for my taste. Even last year in Montreal, Tsonga decided to retire when Novak was 1 set up. His reasons were too funny and I was watching it live. I was fully convinced Tsonga didn't want to give Novak the satisfaction of winning against him once again. Tsonga pretty much walked up to the umpire and told him Novak was playing too good for him and then the next thing you know, he retires totally out of the blue. And then in Paris, Novak decided to pull out completely and his next round opponent was Tsonga. Coincidence? I don’t think so. LoL

Tsonga, in fact, leads the H2H (5-4). However, in Grand Slams, Novak leads 2-1. Novak's biggest/worst enemy is, in fact, Tsonga  not Federer or Nadal or Andy.'

Thanks.. thats very interesting ... I dont think a lot of players hate Andy M..  only Fed really I think... Andy is too awesome .not to be hated..
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: The ATP love/hate thread « Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 01:42 AM »

Tipsarevic - Mauresmo.

I know they would never play each other, but he did call her a pervert.  I bet Margaret Court's recent comments went down a storm in his house.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: The ATP love/hate thread « Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 02:20 AM »

Any ideas what may have happened here? Cannot think why Fed would blank Tsonga like that, want to give Jo a big bear hug! hug

IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »