Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Today, 12:00 Midnight BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Two things worse than Federer. His Fans. His Media. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Two things worse than Federer. His Fans. His Media.

(Read 848 times)
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Two things worse than Federer. His Fans. His Media. « on: August 19, 2012, 12:15 AM »

Found this beauty watching a re run of Feds "Silver" winning medal match  Whistle

We have a few Fed bashing threads on MW and rightly so, but as my title alludes to, the thing that gets on my "GOAT" no (more than the man himself), are his deluded followers and more annoyingly, the media that worship at his feet;  I thought they deserved a thread of their own. Fill your boots!

I became a serious tennis fan around 2005 thanks to a certain Scotsman. I'll be the first to admit that I actually had the same warped point of view about RF that the rest of the world now seems to share. Specifically, I can remember watching a TV interview that he gave at Wimbledon where he visited the behind the scenes areas of the BBC studios. The only thing I can recollect from the entire feature, was coming away with the overall impression that he was a really decent guy. Unsurprising given the universally positive press he is commonly shrouded in, but a few months watching the tennis circuit can really do wonders to your opinion of how much a likeable chap Fed is.

I understand that tennis has a limited following (not that I remotely understand why), but I just cant believe that the public can be so continuously naive year after year. It took me a few Fed matches to get to grips with what a dire man he really can be, so what is everyone else's excuse? It has to be the media?

* fedsidiots.png (467.84 KB, 744x459 - viewed 169 times.)
[ Last edit by drchef August 19, 2012, 12:26 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Two things worse than Federer. His Fans. His Media. « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 01:14 AM »

His fans are one of a kind, no doubt but I still think it's a toss up between media and the fans. lol at the title though but I wonder sometimes and honestly so, if it's healthy at all to dislike someone this much.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Two things worse than Federer. His Fans. His Media. « Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 02:00 AM »

The thing is, he's the most successful tennis player ever. So naturally all the thick, part-time fans will just latch on to him like sheep. Sure, he'll have his proper fanbase, the guys that were there before he won all those honours (mostly Swiss fans I would imagine..), but the rest that latch on over the years just to revel in his victories are the ones that make up most of his fanbase.

Similar to Man Utd in football. Same with the media, constantly referring to them as "United" shows a complete lack of class and respect to the hundreds of other teams called "United" and as a result many just latch on to it. And the constant bumming of Ferguson (what an arrogant prick he is btw) and the likes of Rooney and Ferdinand by the media doesn't help either.

Makes my stomach churn every time I hear someone in the media going on about how wonderful Federer/Man Utd are.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

Re: Two things worse than Federer. His Fans. His Media. « Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 02:06 AM »

His fans are one of a kind, no doubt but I still think it's a toss up between media and the fans. lol at the title though but I wonder sometimes and honestly so, if it's healthy at all to dislike someone this much.

It's healthy when its Fed... and it's okay.... the rest of the world love him!.

Don't get me wrong; There are worse people out there, that's for sure. Its just that the  Putins of the world tend to have their critics.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Two things worse than Federer. His Fans. His Media. « Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 02:19 AM »

Valid points drchef.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Two things worse than Federer. His Fans. His Media. « Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 03:18 AM »

.. I wonder sometimes and honestly so, if it's healthy at all to dislike someone this much.
Yeah, bad for your health. You should get over that, especially on the other thread. Very Happy

.. the majority of us simply hate Federer... 
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Two things worse than Federer. His Fans. His Media. « Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 03:31 AM »

Dr Chef.. I can't see what it was you posted at the beginning (was it a pic?.. it's just a blank box, too bad.)

Anyhoo, like you, for years I thought Mr Federer was one of the nice guys. This was based on media reports and interviews.. and to the untrained eye and ear, he still can coast it. He says all the right things to the right people at the right time, but every so often his facade slips.
I'm not sure if I can blame him. If he's surrounded by people who are constantly telling him how wonderful he is, and he's surrounded by the trappings of wealth, then it's not difficult for him to believe in his own press. And we can't really blame the masses because they are feeding on the propaganda.

I think he's a fantastic tennis player who has brought his own, unique, elegant version to the beautiful game of tennis, and frankly I will miss his game when he goes.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Two things worse than Federer. His Fans. His Media. « Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 06:57 AM »

Some of his fans are lovely but some are as smug as he is and many are arrogant and unpleasant. vomit They want him to last for ever and win everything in sight and hate anyone who dares to beat him.
As if his mantle piece isn't stacked with enough trophies already doh
As for Fed, well in his glory years I think he was a wonderful, beautiful tennis player. His movement was astonishing- effortless and graceful.
As scot says though, if the whole world is telling him  how brilliant he is, no wonder he's big-headed.
What gets me though, these days he doesn't play as well as he used to all the time, but the comms still go on and on about how gr8 he is and treat poor shots with shocked disbelief. They better get used to seeing more of them.  Whistle
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Two things worse than Federer. His Fans. His Media. « Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 07:00 AM »

As I say to my friends and family I admire his tennis and would never take that away from him but I find him excessively arrogant and such a bad loser.  This, in my mind, makes for a bad sportsman. The worst time was when he blamed Wawrinka for the loss at the Dvais Cup match.  Shame Wawrink did not beat him at Cincy this week.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Two things worse than Federer. His Fans. His Media. « Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 09:05 AM »

good thread drchef.  I agree.  If smugfed wasn't fawned over so much I probably wouldn't dislike him so much.  Indeed like others I used to be a fan because of the beauty of the tennis he was playing.  But as he has become more arrogant and the media have become ever more fawning, watching him through heavily rose-tinted spectacles, I've become more and more critical of the man.  And being surrounded by his fans like I was at 02 last year was hell - all in their RF caps and t-shirts  vomit
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Two things worse than Federer. His Fans. His Media. « Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 09:21 AM »

One of my work colleague's dad is a Fed fan and hates Andy.  He was trying to spout at me that Federer didn't actually want to win the Gold medal recently and his gullible daughter believed him! wtf  I did point out that was the one little bauble missing from his precious collection and despite being No.1 in the world on 3 outings to the Olympics (I believe he's attended 4) that he's not managed to snag the singles medal naughty  For me, some Fed fans need to wise up on the other players too.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Two things worse than Federer. His Fans. His Media. « Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 11:09 AM »

Like with some Andy fans there will be Federer fans that can't see the court for the player lol There are many people that focus so much on their tennis player that they lose all perspective about all the others- Federer's fans are not alone in this. Though I would say that the head to toe RF gear is a bit nauseating Smile
I love Roger's tennis, always have and until the last couple of years had a lot of time for him off court. In many ways I still do, his charity work and other commitments do a lot to commend him BUT he needs to realise that there are people how are going to become better than him, that the only way he's going to go out unbeaten is if he retires at the top.
So I'm a fan of his tennis, without being a fan of him- my mums the same, she doesn't like pouding baseline tennis so she likes watching Roger play, and I imagine there are many p-t tennis fans like that.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Two things worse than Federer. His Fans. His Media. « Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 11:44 AM »

I erupt into violent fits of screaming anger when ever I see this.

IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

Re: Two things worse than Federer. His Fans. His Media. « Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 12:28 PM »

Dr Chef.. I can't see what it was you posted at the beginning (was it a pic?.. it's just a blank box, too bad.)

Sorted?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Two things worse than Federer. His Fans. His Media. « Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 01:15 PM »

When it comes to Federer, the only thing I look forward to is his retirement. And some of the obnoxious fans will be gone too.

But to be fair, Nadal has some obnoxious fans too especially on MTF. They get repeatedly banned as I understand it.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »