Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  US Open 2012: The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 73 Go Down Reply
Author

US Open 2012: The Other Players

(Read 14884 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #90 on: August 29, 2012, 12:51 PM »

Some 'epic' matches there, looking at the scores.

Garcia Lopez coming from two sets down to beat Monaco (10) in two tie-breaks. How much closer can you get?!
Andujar beating Bellucci 7-6, 3-6, 7-6, 7-5.
Baghdatis winning in a 5th set tie-break.
Raonic coming from behind to win in five.
Petzschner beating Mahut from two sets down.
Fognini coming from two sets down, winning 7-5 in the fifth.
Dutra Silva twice coming from behind to win 7-5 in the fifth.
Dolgopolov coming from two sets and two breaks down to win.

Also in the women's, Jo Konto (ranked outside the top 200) won 6-2, 7-5 (was 1-5 down in the 2nd set) against the world #57! She joins Robson in R2, with the two highest ranked women both out in R1 (two seeded players albeit).

sorry to see Pico out especially as he seemed to be winning comfortably for first couple of sets
But pleased to see Baggy through and also Fleming & Hutchins in the dubs - would be nice if they could do well here and move up the dubs rankings
Won't happen - they're defending 360 points here so unless they reach the Quarters again they're going to take a tumble. And they've been horribly out of form of late. But who knows.

We have a lot of involvement in the doubles this year. Flem/Hutch and Marray/Nielsen are seeded, whilst Inglot (with Huey), Jamie Murray (with Sa) and Skupski and Delgado are all playing.

Just seen some of the results. Wow. The 1st, 4th, 7th (who were 2nd this time last year), and 13th seeds all out. Flem/Hutch are now seeded to reach the QFs again, but it's still a tough ask, especially with Erlich and Ram in their section.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #91 on: August 29, 2012, 01:28 PM »

Meelosh's return game sucks. His footwork is bad.
This is what he needs to work on.

Yes, but not until after he's played Andy thanks, assuming he gets there, which is still dubious in my mind.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #92 on: August 29, 2012, 01:41 PM »

Hi All,

I was glad to see Robson go through, and Konta as well. It strikes me that Robson is becoming quite the self assured young woman. She's still developing, without a doubt, but she definitely seems at home doing interviews and such.

Kerber looked in good nick against Keothavong. I reckon she could be a dark horse.

I wanted Monaco to win .

Raonic dodged a bullet there. I thought he was on his way. I'm still not sure about him. I'm no expert, but I think he has a way to go before he is as good as they all seem to think he will be. I still think he will be gone before he can get to Andy, and if he isn't I think Andy will beat him.

Oh, and I still don't like Berdych. He just gets up my nose for no reason.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #93 on: August 29, 2012, 02:20 PM »

I don't like Berdych either, he really annoys me, to a lesser degree Querry does as well.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #94 on: August 29, 2012, 02:25 PM »

Hi All,

Oh, and I still don't like Berdych. He just gets up my nose for no reason.

given how few of us like Berdych I somehow think it might be for some reason  ie he comes across as arrogant and unfriendly Rolling Eyes
thanks for the information re dubs tmh.  Must admit I don't follow that closely so hadn't realised that.  I know CF had been out with injury so might take them time to find their form again.  Good luck to them all.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #95 on: August 29, 2012, 04:31 PM »

Some okay matches today. Ferrer vs Anderson, Harrison vs Becker, Gulbis vs Haas, Kamke vs Hewitt, Gasquet vs Montanes, kukushkin vs Nieminen, Youzhny vs Muller, Robredo vs Seppi etc.

Will have to keep an eye on Del Po as well. Last night Nole nearly destroyed Lorenzi but I still don't think that's a firm indication of his form in this tournament. 
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #96 on: August 29, 2012, 04:38 PM »

Some okay matches today. Ferrer vs Anderson, Harrison vs Becker, Gulbis vs Haas, Kamke vs Hewitt, Gasquet vs Montanes, kukushkin vs Nieminen, Youzhny vs Muller, Robredo vs Seppi etc.

Will have to keep an eye on Del Po as well. Last night Nole nearly destroyed Lorenzi but I still don't think that's a firm indication of his form in this tournament. 
What do you mean nearly?! lol

given how few of us like Berdych I somehow think it might be for some reason  ie he comes across as arrogant and unfriendly Rolling Eyes
thanks for the information re dubs tmh.  Must admit I don't follow that closely so hadn't realised that.  I know CF had been out with injury so might take them time to find their form again.  Good luck to them all.
Aye me neither really. I've been keeping check on the results but since Wimbledon I don't think Fleming and Hutchins have won more than a couple of matches. Inglot won a 500 (Washington) with his Phillipine partner. The injury really didn't help but they did bounce back to win Eastbourne. They've just struggled to find any momentum since.

And their QF last year sticks in my mind. It was when I had just started to follow them and I watched the 4th set against Bopanna and Qureshi. They were serving for the match, had two match points, and then it got rained off. They came back on next day, got broken and went on to lose in five.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #97 on: August 29, 2012, 04:45 PM »

What do you mean nearly?! lol

Lorenzi was able to win 2 games. Not a total washout.  Whistle

Oh man, I felt so sorry for him though. I really liked Pete's approach. He wouldn't go for too much - only just one break would be enough for him and that way, players like Lorenzi wouldn’t feel too embarrassed or too bad about themselves. Unless it's Federer on the other side of the net (and a couple of others), you be kind I say!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #98 on: August 29, 2012, 04:51 PM »

Lorenzi was able to win 2 games. Not a total washout.  Whistle

Oh man, I felt so sorry for him though. I really liked Pete's approach. He wouldn't go for too much - only just one break would be enough for him and that way, players like Lorenzi wouldn’t feel too embarrassed or too bad about themselves. Unless it's Federer on the other side of the net (and a couple of others), you be kind I say!
Aye I know what you mean, I can't help but feel sorry for these guys when they're on the end of a hammering. That poor Luxembourg guy against Andy in the DC springs to mind. Or Kukushkin last year at the AO, who was completely knackered after beating Monfils in five a couple of days earlier.

Just remind yourself that at the end of the day these guys get to play the sport they love as a career and are probably richer than we'll ever be (even taking into account the heavy costs of accomodation and travel). I'd happily swap places for the odd hammering at the hands of one of the greatest players ever.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #99 on: August 29, 2012, 04:51 PM »

Aye me neither really. I've been keeping check on the results but since Wimbledon I don't think Fleming and Hutchins have won more than a couple of matches. Inglot won a 500 (Washington) with his Phillipine partner. The injury really didn't help but they did bounce back to win Eastbourne. They've just struggled to find any momentum since.
Fleming and Hutchins reached the final in Newport after Wimbledon. At the Olympics they lost to the eventual bronze medalists then last week in Winston-Salem they lost in in 2 tie-breaks to the eventual champions
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #100 on: August 29, 2012, 05:03 PM »

Aye I know what you mean, I can't help but feel sorry for these guys when they're on the end of a hammering. That poor Luxembourg guy against Andy in the DC springs to mind. Or Kukushkin last year at the AO, who was completely knackered after beating Monfils in five a couple of days earlier.

Just remind yourself that at the end of the day these guys get to play the sport they love as a career and are probably richer than we'll ever be (even taking into account the heavy costs of accomodation and travel). I'd happily swap places for the odd hammering at the hands of one of the greatest players ever.

The lower ranked players don't make as much money unfortunately. Anyway, remember the match between Serena and Sharapova at the Olympics? Now you know that I am not a big fan of Sharapova's game and I don't have any particular feelings for Serena either, but on that day, after the way Serena was hammering away Sharapova, I really and hoenstly prayed that she'd at least give Sharapova one game and she sure did in the 2nd set if you remember. If I were a player, I'd deliberately give some games to my opponent; that is, if I am sure I can win this even in my sleep. Also, the crowd is not as disappointed. Nole was showing off slightly and I thought he didn’t need to. That’s just my opinion.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #101 on: August 29, 2012, 05:06 PM »

So I am in this bloody mandatory training today from 1 to 5 (no phones allowed  Rolling Eyes), so won't be able to follow the scores unless they give us a break in between. Good luck to some of my players like Hewitt, Harrison etc.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #102 on: August 29, 2012, 05:12 PM »

The lower ranked players don't make as much money unfortunately. Anyway, remember the match between Serena and Sharapova at the Olympics? Now you know that I am not a big fan of Sharapova's game and I don't have any particular feelings for Serena either, but on that day, after the way Serena was hammering away Sharapova, I really and hoenstly prayed that she'd at least give Sharapova one game and she sure did in the 2nd set if you remember. If I were a player, I'd deliberately give some games to my opponent; that is, if I am sure I can win this even in my sleep. Also, the crowd is not as disappointed. Nole was showing off slightly and I thought he didn’t need to. That’s just my opinion.
Lorenzi earned $7000 last week for winning a Challenger and will get another $23,000 for just turning up this week. That's $30,000 in two weeks. Sure, travel and accomodation will cost, but it won't take more than a tiny chunk out of that figure (not sure how tax affects this mind).

I wouldn't read too much into Stakhovsky's Q&A a few months back, he was exaggerating greatly. If what he said was spot on the money then the guys ranked 200 and beyond would be living on the streets. They're not.

These guys aren't rich like the top few with their millions, but they earn probably 3-4x what the average person earns per year. Plus, they get to enjoy themselves for a living.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #103 on: August 29, 2012, 05:26 PM »

But there are all sorts of costs as well. Travel cost, team cost, meals, training and so many other hidden costs. While I am sure they absolutely love the game otherwise they wouldn’t be here, I am sure it's also quite taxing on the body to travel so much and the game itself can be really stressful. dunno. I really feel for the players (not the top ones) if they lose early and if they lose badly. I guess you are right too but still, it doesn't hurt to give them a few more games if you can afford it. lolol. Am all Mother Teresa today.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #104 on: August 29, 2012, 05:30 PM »

Ferrer is cruising fairly easily right now. Thought Anderson would give him slightly better fight than this.

And Tipsy lost the 1st to Rufin.

Youzhny 2 sets to love up vs Muller. Muller is no good these days.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 73 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »