Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  US Open 2012: The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 73 Go Down Reply
Author

US Open 2012: The Other Players

(Read 14820 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

US Open 2012: The Other Players « on: August 17, 2012, 11:10 AM »

Official Site:-

http://www.usopen.org/

I was just having a look around the site, and noticed that the opening night ceremony being talked about.  I didn't realise that the USO had an opening night ceremony and wondered if any of the other tournies did?

Anyhow, here's what they had to say:-

The USTA announced a dramatic opening night ceremony that will include an immersive video and light show for the first time, and a special performance by pop sensation Jordin Sparks.  The ceremony will take place prior to the night session in Arthur Ashe Stadium, on Monday, August 27.

Sparks will perform “Celebrate,” the hit song from the movie “Sparkle,” in which Sparks stars alongside the late Whitney Houston, in Houston’s final performance.  Houston opened Arthur Ashe Stadium 15 years ago with a performance of “One Moment in Time” in front of a sold-out crowd and some of the biggest names in tennis history.  The video and light show will follow Sparks’ performance, and then Sparks will return to sing the National Anthem.

Sparks is a US Open veteran having first performed at Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day in 2009, and she is returning to host this year’s Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day on August 25.

“Our goal is to take our Opening Night Ceremony to the next level and create a memorable moment for all of our fans in the stadium and those watching around the world,” said Jon Vegosen, USTA Chairman of the Board and President.  “It is only fitting that we feature world-class entertainment on the same court upon which we feature world-class tennis.  We are thrilled to present our sport in an exciting new way.”

For the 11th consecutive year, New York City Michael R. Bloomberg will “Welcome the World to New York” and to the US Open as part of the ceremony.  Following Sparks’ performance, Vegosen will be joined on court by young people from the National Junior tennis and Learning Network who represent the future of tennis – the “Sport of Opportunity.”

The ceremony will be broadcast live on ESPN2.

All seems a bit OTT to me but what do I know retard
[ Last edit by Mark September 08, 2012, 09:32 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 12:17 PM »

It's Back in the USA Bev so bound to be OTT  Whistle
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 02:09 PM »

Would be a lot better if, instead of this razz-m-tazz, they gave some thought to the scheduling and built a roof. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:29 PM »

The Ferrer/Tipsy quarter looks wide open. I predict Haas to make the semis.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 12:10 AM »

A strange tweet from @Neilharman he says he was handed a completed draw list with the exception of the seeds before the draw had actually taken place.  This gives the conspiracy theorists credibility when they say the Frauderer's opponents are fixed!
IP Logged
Judge Holden

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 12:23 AM »

Do you think the officials actually talk to Federer to see who he would most like to play?  It would seem a bit odd that he would want to play Murray in the semis, but all the officials are in the tank for Federer, so he must do!
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 12:50 AM »

Would be a lot better if, instead of this razz-m-tazz, they gave some thought to the scheduling and built a roof. Rolling Eyes

Agreed!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 12:57 AM »

I borrowed this from a friend but I was in this discussion just last year but since USO is here again, the topic has resurfaced.

Here's the story.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/6850893/espn-analysis-finds-top-seeds-tennis-us-open-had-easier-draw-statistically-likely

Conclusion: 4 out of 1,000,000. Again, that's 4 out of 1 million.

And here's a good table to look at:

Men's Grand Slam                       Percent of draw simulations as easy as actual draws
Australian                                      71.2%
French                                           69.5%
Wimbledon                                    37.0%
U.S. Open                                      0.3%

Women's Grand Slam                 Percent of draw simulations as easy as actual draws
Australian                                     94.7%
French                                          99.2%
Wimbledon                                   30.7%
U.S. Open                                     0.0%

_________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

US Open has the lowest percentage and Wimbledon has the 2nd lowest.  French has the highest followed by AO. This is from last ten years or so.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean August 24, 2012, 01:17 AM ] IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 01:04 AM »

Here's the more of the tweet conversation - it is very strange!

Neil Harman ‏@NeilHarmanTimes
There is something frankly not right about being handed a full draw sheet as you walk into the room where the draw is about to take place
Expand
 Reply  Retweet  Favorite
8h creamola_foam ‏@creamola_foam
@NeilHarmanTimes When you say "full" draw sheet you surely don't mean "already completed", do you?
Expand
 Reply  Retweet  Favorite
8h Neil Harman ‏@NeilHarmanTimes
@creamola_foam All except for the seeds (with the exception of No.1 and No.2), the draw is completed before we walk into the room
 Hide conversation
 Reply  Retweet  Favorite
9:19 AM - 23 Aug 12 via web · Details
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 01:16 AM »

There is something frankly not right about being handed a full draw sheet as you walk into the room where the draw is about to take place
Expand
 Reply  Retweet  Favorite
@NeilHarmanTimes When you say "full" draw sheet you surely don't mean "already completed", do you?
Expand
 Reply  Retweet  Favorite
@creamola_foam All except for the seeds (with the exception of No.1 and No.2), the draw is completed before we walk into the room
 Hide conversation
 Reply  Retweet  Favorite

Not only strange but also very, very interesting.
IP Logged
Judge Holden

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 01:18 AM »

Federer's in on this somehow....
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 01:27 AM »

I see that PseudoFed is on to it superman
[ Last edit by Bevc August 24, 2012, 01:35 AM ] IP Logged
AmyLiz9
Junior

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 04:12 AM »

I was watching some of the USO qualifying matches earlier today and even the announcers were talking about how Andy's draw is usually the most difficult. I forget who it was but they said "It never is easy for Andy Murray" and then they argued about it for awhile.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 08:04 AM »

Expand
 Reply  Retweet  Favorite
Expand
 Reply  Retweet  Favorite
 Hide conversation
 Reply  Retweet  Favorite

Would appear to be quicker alternative than waiting for the official site to load the draw!  I gave up in the end.  Thanks EJ for posting a link to it btw.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 08:52 AM »

They were talking about this on five live last night.,  They said it was v unusual.  The draw had been drawn up in advance and then the seeds are dropped in to it at the official draw.  There's no way that smugfed would want to have been in Andy's half as Ferrer always crumbles before him.  So this does suggest it was not rigged in his favour at least at the point of the SFs.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 73 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »