Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  US Open 2012: The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 73 Go Down Reply
Author

US Open 2012: The Other Players

(Read 14485 times)
Judge Holden

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 09:43 AM »

They were talking about this on five live last night.,  They said it was v unusual.  The draw had been drawn up in advance and then the seeds are dropped in to it at the official draw.  There's no way that smugfed would want to have been in Andy's half as Ferrer always crumbles before him.  So this does suggest it was not rigged in his favour at least at the point of the SFs.

What do you mean?  Do you have evidence that other draws have been rigged to favour Federer?  That's outrageous if true.  Did he draw them up himself?  Have you been to the police?  It's true that the Wimbledon draw was a bit suspicious.  I mean he only had to beat Djokovic and Murray in successive matches, and presto.

Suggest you guys get real.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 09:56 AM »

I don't believe that the draws are ever rigged. Andy's had a couple of tough ones this year, but last year he had some easier ones too. It all seems to even itself out over time.

I see that Ferrer has drawn Anderson in his first match, tough draw!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 10:04 AM »

What do you mean?  Do you have evidence that other draws have been rigged to favour Federer?  That's outrageous if true.  Did he draw them up himself?  Have you been to the police?  It's true that the Wimbledon draw was a bit suspicious.  I mean he only had to beat Djokovic and Murray in successive matches, and presto.

Suggest you guys get real.
Oh enough of the sarcasm especially as the only other alternative was Nadal - who would have thought he wouldn't have made the SFs?  If you'd read the thread properly you'd see I was responding to comments already made. No of course I don't really believe they are rigged but it does seem odd how often smugfed gets an easy draw and how often Andy gets a tough one - and interesting that even the comms at USO draw were commenting on this.   I'm not a statistician but it does seem like statistical probability is stretched.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 03:40 PM »

Would be a lot better if, instead of this razz-m-tazz, they gave some thought to the scheduling and built a roof. Rolling Eyes

The point about the scheduling is right, but I don't want a roof thanks. You all know why.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 05:12 PM »

The problem with the rain is that, there's no other way of dealing with it other than build a roof, but I don't think US Open will opt for it anytime soon.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 06:14 PM »

Well they could reduce the disruption if they had covers like at Wimbledon but apparently they have always rejected this option on grounds that they are 'unsightly'.
IP Logged
Judge Holden

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 09:03 PM »

No of course I don't really believe they are rigged but it does seem odd how often smugfed gets an easy draw and how often Andy gets a tough one - and interesting that even the comms at USO draw were commenting on this.   I'm not a statistician but it does seem like statistical probability is stretched.

So they're not rigged, but Federer's amazingly lucky?  It's simply false to say that Federer gets easy draws and Murray gets tough ones.  They even out, but in recent times Fed's had Djokovic in the SF's more often than not.  Until recently he was the world no.1.  Murray's Wimbledon draw was a doddle.  I know there was whining about Karlovic, but Fed had him and Soderling in 2009.  As soon as Murray makes the top 2 he won't have to beat the two best players in the world to win, now will he?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 03:34 PM »

So they're not rigged, but Federer's amazingly lucky?  It's simply false to say that Federer gets easy draws and Murray gets tough ones.  They even out, but in recent times Fed's had Djokovic in the SF's more often than not.  Until recently he was the world no.1.  Murray's Wimbledon draw was a doddle.  I know there was whining about Karlovic, but Fed had him and Soderling in 2009.  As soon as Murray makes the top 2 he won't have to beat the two best players in the world to win, now will he?

yawn
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 03:37 PM »

DRAWS ARE RIGGED.  NUFF SAID.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 03:57 PM »

Well they could reduce the disruption if they had covers like at Wimbledon but apparently they have always rejected this option on grounds that they are 'unsightly'.

During the evening (UK time) coverage on one of the days last year I remember Marcus from Sky saying that. It sticks in my mind because I was eating my evening meal at the time and I nearly choked on it lol.

The thing is, in all seriousness, I imagine putting a roof on Ashe would be a logistical nightmare, but covers, for goodness sake, I just don't understand any of the reasons for not having them.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 04:13 PM »

I know it's crazy isn't it tj.   I've been to Wimbledon and you don't really notice the covers when they're not in use.  But they  certainly speed things up, if it rains as they can start again as soon as it starts raining and the covers are off.  None of that going round with towels trying to dry the courts out, which makes the USO look like it's not made it to the 21st century.  w00t
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #26 on: August 25, 2012, 06:37 PM »

I know recently with all the rain at the Roger's Cup, Nole suggested that they get covers, too, like at Wimbledon, but their reasoning as to why they haven't done so had nothing to do with "unsightliness" (lol!) but rather do with the fact that the covers create humidity under them so the court still has to be dried with dryers afterwards. Something along those lines anyhow...
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #27 on: August 25, 2012, 07:11 PM »

Well that is a better excuse but you'd have thought that with modern technology they could find a way around that
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #28 on: August 25, 2012, 08:37 PM »

Well that is a better excuse but you'd have thought that with modern technology they could find a way around that

They have at Wimbledon - they raise the covers in the centre so that the air circulates - it's not really rocket science!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #29 on: August 25, 2012, 09:08 PM »

Of course, you're right Alis as I saw it on Court 1 while waiting for bronze medal match to start.  I hadn't realised how high above the ground the cover is before.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 73 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »