Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  US Open 2012: The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 73 Go Down Reply
Author

US Open 2012: The Other Players

(Read 15196 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012, 04:43 PM »

Hi All,

I'm not sure this is the right thread, but I've just realised I can ask a question I've always wanted to know the answer to. Can one of you explain to me in clear terms exactly what a hard court is made from please? I know the AO surface is slower than the USO, but I don't quite follow what a hard court is made from.

Clay is obvious to me. Thanks to all the fuss about Madrid last year I understand that. Grass is obvious as well, but a while ago I read an explanation of what the hard courts are made from and it was complicated, so I'd love a clear explanation.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #31 on: August 26, 2012, 07:30 PM »

Hi teejay, here's a bit of on hard surface from Wikipedia:

Hard courts
Main article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcourt

Hard courts are made of uniform rigid material, offering greater consistency of bounce than other outdoor surfaces. Hard courts can vary in speed, although they are faster than clay but not as fast as grass courts. The quantity of sand added to the paint can greatly affect the rate at which the ball slows down. Hard courts are generally more equalizing than clay or grass in terms of playing style, although they favor harder-hitting baseliners and all-court styles with the current equipment.

The US Open is played on an acrylic hard court, while the Australian Open is played on a synthetic hard court. The main difference between a synthetic hard court and a true hard court surface is the level of hardness. When the ball bounces on this surface it is faster than all other surfaces if there is not much sand in the top paint. The amount of sand used in the top paint and the size of the sand also determines the speed – more sand means less speed and larger sand particles will slow the speed of play. The amount of friction can also be altered and more friction will produce a clay court effect, where topspin is magnified. The extra grip and friction will resist the sliding effect of the ball and the resistance will force the ball to change its rotation. Although hard courts are the least expensive to maintain, they are generally more rough on the human body than other surfaces due to their rigidity.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #32 on: August 26, 2012, 07:38 PM »

Arthur Ash Kids Day.  Hilarious stuff.  Hehe.  Copy of Gif  @thegrandslams  Call me Maybe. Very Happy

IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #33 on: August 26, 2012, 08:39 PM »

johnkiernan35 that gif is hilarious - reminds me of how the boys in my class danced in grade 8! LOL. Looks like Nole had a blast.  wub
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #34 on: August 26, 2012, 10:19 PM »

What I learned from that video is that Nole is **** at dancing.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #35 on: August 26, 2012, 10:38 PM »

Novak is hilarious great character - cant wait to see him in action! Carly Rae Jepson is mega beautiful!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #36 on: August 26, 2012, 11:19 PM »

I didn't find it all that hilarious to be honest. Maybe bits of it was a bit funny.

Anyway, Clijsters, Serena and Roddick all raised $15,000 each while Federer raised $12,000. Federer backhand was abysmal and hit the net most times. Anyway, all the money have gone to their own foundations anyway.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #37 on: August 27, 2012, 01:51 AM »

Not as many great matches to watch but some matches to keep an eye on...rather.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 02:59 AM »

Nole is good at PR.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #39 on: August 27, 2012, 08:05 AM »

Federer, who starts his campaign on Monday against Donald Young, remains the favourite to claim a sixth US Open title and his 18th Grand Slam crown.

"I feel like if I'm playing well I can dictate who's going to win or lose," Federer said.

"It's going to take something special from my opponent to win. That's kind of how it feels right now; then again, I might walk away from Monday and lose in the first round. I will take it one match at a time."

From the beeb.

shutup
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #40 on: August 27, 2012, 08:31 AM »

Federer, who starts his campaign on Monday against Donald Young, remains the favourite to claim a sixth US Open title and his 18th Grand Slam crown.

"I feel like if I'm playing well I can dictate who's going to win or lose," Federer said.

"It's going to take something special from my opponent to win. That's kind of how it feels right now; then again, I might walk away from Monday and lose in the first round. I will take it one match at a time."

From the beeb.

shutup
I would love to see him lose early on, wouldn't it be wonderful if Young had a Rosol match. He really needs to be brought down.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #41 on: August 27, 2012, 08:46 AM »

Hi All,

Once again, in just a few words, Federer demonstrates why I don't like him. I understand him being confident, but it's his cocky arrogance that annoys me. Can he not hear himself?

I can't see Young doing a Rosol, but I must be honest, it would be funny if it happened.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #42 on: August 27, 2012, 08:50 AM »

It would be nice if Andy can take Fed down in the SF when Fed is playing at his best to show Fed that it is not always in his hands to win but others like Nole and Andy can beat him when they too are playing well.

Having said that, maybe it is that feeling of extreme confidence that has helped Fed gathered 17 GSs so far ?
[ Last edit by Philip August 27, 2012, 08:57 AM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #43 on: August 27, 2012, 09:52 AM »

But Philip that almost implies that the gold medal was in Fed's gift.  Don't you think that he didn't play his best in that match because Andy didn't allow him to?
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players, etc « Reply #44 on: August 27, 2012, 11:24 AM »

I think this Federer suffers from low self esteem, somebody get this guy a shrink.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 73 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »