Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Andrey Kuznetsov, Saturday, Estimated time - 5:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  US Open 2012: The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 [72] 73 Go Down Reply
Author

US Open 2012: The Other Players

(Read 14106 times)
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #1065 on: September 13, 2012, 11:34 AM »

Both Fed and Stan are part of the team due to play the Dutch this weekend.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #1066 on: September 13, 2012, 01:13 PM »

The future's bleak for Switzerland once Federer retires isn't it. And for Sweden now too that Soderling is no longer playing.

Saying that, it's not much better for GB but the Andy has at least half a decade in the game yet so plenty of time for the likes of Golding and Edmund to come through.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #1067 on: September 13, 2012, 06:28 PM »

I don't think Switzerland should worry about the future. Federer has done enough for them by securing a lot of the years ahead. His record will be eventually broken but it will stay that way at least for a while.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #1068 on: September 17, 2012, 02:01 AM »

Thinking back I feel, apart from all the Andy's matches, the one that really stood out for me was the Berdych vs Federer one.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #1069 on: September 17, 2012, 10:23 AM »

It was definitely significant.

Tipsarevic/Ferrer was a cracker as well, although less significant on the tournament.

Klizan/Tsonga was one that stood out for me as well.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #1070 on: September 17, 2012, 10:55 AM »

Tipsarevic/Ferrer was a cracker as well, although less significant on the tournament.

I loved the Tipsarevic/Ferrer match - really tense stuff in the fifth set, especially with it ending on a tie-break. Nice contrast of styles in that match - great shotmaking from Tipsarevic and brilliant defence from Ferrer. I think after the Andy/Djokovic final, this would be the match of the tournament for me.

The Tsonga match was good - great to see Klizan play so well but was a bit bemused with how badly Jo was playing. Perhaps his knee had still not healed properly from the fire hydrant accident.

Sadly I didn't stay up to watch Berdych/Federer but am sure that one would have been great to watch. I usually try and watch Berdych's matches against the top players as there's always a chance that he'll score an upset win. He really pushed Rafa at the Australian Open too. Delpo/Djokovic is another one which I didn't see but sounds like it was a good match.

I really enjoyed Laura's matches against Clijsters and Li Na - it really felt like this was her breakout tournament, similar to Andy's Wimbledon 2005. And Serena/Azarenka was great - though did feel sorry for Vika when she wasn't able to serve the match out - it would have been such a big win for her.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #1071 on: September 17, 2012, 11:03 AM »

I also thought the Tipsy/Ferrer match was great. Ferrer and Berdych have both been hard at work again this weekend, winning Davis Cup semi finals. Looks like Berdych will be no 2 seed at Tokyo.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #1072 on: September 17, 2012, 11:08 AM »

I also thought the Tipsy/Ferrer match was great. Ferrer and Berdych have both been hard at work again this weekend, winning Davis Cup semi finals. Looks like Berdych will be no 2 seed at Tokyo.
That could be interesting. Strange he's opted to play Tokyo rather than defend his Beijing title where he would probably have been top seed.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #1073 on: September 17, 2012, 12:17 PM »

That could be interesting. Strange he's opted to play Tokyo rather than defend his Beijing title where he would probably have been top seed.

Djokovic and Ferrer are also playing Beijing this year so he'd only be the number 3 seed there.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #1074 on: September 17, 2012, 12:21 PM »

Djokovic and Ferrer are also playing Beijing this year so he'd only be the number 3 seed there.
Ah didn't realise that, fair enough.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #1075 on: September 17, 2012, 01:42 PM »

Hi All,

Outside of Andy's matches, I loved Tipsarevic/Ferrer. That was riveting stuff. I like Ferrer anyway, he's good to watch against anyone but Andy, although Andy tends to find a way on the grass and hard courts. I just like Ferrer's tenacity. I always think Tipsy is delightfully bonkers!

I was thrilled with young Laura Robson's breakthrough as well. It feels like she could really push on now, which will be exciting to watch if it happens. I have a feeling it might.

I thought Tsonga/Klizan was fascinating. I don't think I've ever seen Tsonga like that. He seemed really flat to me, almost like he'd given up.

I didn't see Berdych/Federer, but I almost wish I had. The same with Djokovic/Del Potro.

I bet Victoria Azarenka is still having nightmares. I have to say, I don't watch the women's as much, but that was a good final.

I have to say it though, the highlights of the tourney for me were Andy winning (clearly!) and watching him confuse the hell out of young Raonic!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #1076 on: September 17, 2012, 03:19 PM »

The Berdych/Federer match was a classic one to watch. Fed had no answer to Berdych's powerful winners and he got a bit lucky in the third set so that is why he won it...maybe because I wanted to see Fed getting kicked out, I enjoyed it more.... Whistle
and the best part was to see my brother's face during the match, he was just speechless. He kept saying something about a comeback by Fed but that didnt seem to happen... yay
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #1077 on: September 18, 2012, 12:51 AM »

It was significant most undoubtedly but it was also very entertaining because it had all the elements a fan would like to see. I was so very thrilled at the prospect. Also, it was very different than watching any of Andy's matches because there you are always on your last breath and you just can't wait for the match to be over, so that you can properly breathe lol. But this one didn't have that kind of pressure; instead it was entertaining and had the potential for an enormous upset. I mean how often do we get to see Federer losing in qtrs?

Ferrer/Tipsarevic was very good but not as entertaining. I was sort of on and off with that one.

I really missed the Klizan/Tsonga one due to work. Really wish I had seen that one. That could have been easily my 2nd best match of the tournament.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #1078 on: September 18, 2012, 12:55 AM »

I didn't enjoy Nole/Del Potro match all that much. Delpo was only trying to stay in the match and that doesn't really make a great match. He couldn't even take a set from Nole.

The women's final was actually pretty good but Vika couldn't hold it for too long in the end. Needs to improve her serve especially the 2nd one a great deal.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: US Open 2012: The Other Players « Reply #1079 on: September 18, 2012, 02:12 AM »

I loved the Tipsarevic/Ferrer match - really tense stuff in the fifth set, especially with it ending on a tie-break. Nice contrast of styles in that match - great shotmaking from Tipsarevic and brilliant defence from Ferrer. I think after the Andy/Djokovic final, this would be the match of the tournament for me.

The Tsonga match was good - great to see Klizan play so well but was a bit bemused with how badly Jo was playing. Perhaps his knee had still not healed properly from the fire hydrant accident.

Sadly I didn't stay up to watch Berdych/Federer but am sure that one would have been great to watch. I usually try and watch Berdych's matches against the top players as there's always a chance that he'll score an upset win. He really pushed Rafa at the Australian Open too. Delpo/Djokovic is another one which I didn't see but sounds like it was a good match.

I really enjoyed Laura's matches against Clijsters and Li Na - it really felt like this was her breakout tournament, similar to Andy's Wimbledon 2005. And Serena/Azarenka was great - though did feel sorry for Vika when she wasn't able to serve the match out - it would have been such a big win for her.

Katie i have posted links to the fed/berdych and djoko/delpo quarter finals full matches in the sticky tennis videos thread Smile  it's in Tennis talk thread / tennis movies
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 [72] 73 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »