Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  US Open 2013 - The other players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 102 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: US Open 2013 - The other players  (Read 16756 times)
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #420 on: August 31, 2013, 12:57 PM »

I have a feeling Andy's semi final opponents are being brought into question, as if those wins for Andy are of less value than beating a Nadal, Djokovic or that other one, but I've been watching tennis for a number of years and I've yet to see anyone win a slam in the semi finals. What you can do at that point is lose one. In two of the last three majors Andy has played in he hasn't lost a match. That's good enough for me, and I couldn't give a flying fig who he has played to do it.

Andy beat a Top 10 player in the SF on US Open 2012, a top 10 player who had just beaten Federer, who was in decent form last year.

He beat a future Top 10 player of the SF of Wimbledon 2013, a guy that always steps it up against the big players and thrives of the big stages. Big server, big groundstrokes, deft dropshot... generally a difficult opponent. Not easy at all.

Also people forget the fact that Andy faced a Multi Slam winner and a guy who had won both these tournaments before, unlike the other big four, who faced non slam winners in their first finals.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #421 on: August 31, 2013, 01:05 PM »

Andy beat a Top 10 player in the SF on US Open 2012, a top 10 player who had just beaten Federer, who was in decent form last year.

He beat a future Top 10 player of the SF of Wimbledon 2013, a guy that always steps it up against the big players and thrives of the big stages. Big server, big groundstrokes, deft dropshot... generally a difficult opponent. Not easy at all.

Also people forget the fact that Andy faced a Multi Slam winner and a guy who had won both these tournaments before, unlike the other big four, who faced non slam winners in their first finals.

Exactly. At the USO last year Andy also beat someone who hadn't lost a hard court major for two and a half years, but Andy beat him in five sets to win the thing.
IP Logged
CoolDude
Futures Level

us open champion 2012

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #422 on: August 31, 2013, 01:39 PM »

saw Del Potro lost 5th set vs Hewwit 6-1 what happend, did he run out of gas like in Cincinati ?
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #423 on: August 31, 2013, 02:44 PM »

Two events to mention Nice to see Seppi back in the top20 and congrats to Hewitt beating Potro,his best result since starting his comeback
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #424 on: August 31, 2013, 03:01 PM »

The USO and Wimbledon presumably, because Djokovic is such a pushover. Dear God, I despair!

There are no asterisks in winning slams. You either win or you don't. You don't get better prize money or ranking points based on the perceived worth of your opponent. There are no ifs, buts or maybes about the conditions. Andy has beaten Djokovic in high winds. He's beaten him in extreme heat with no air. Both times Andy won, the first time in five sets, where he made Djokovic work for every point, the second in straight sets, where he made Djokovic work for every point and tried to make him have a nervous breakdown as well. I have a feeling he won that battle as well as the trophy.

I have a feeling Andy's semi final opponents are being brought into question, as if those wins for Andy are of less value than beating a Nadal, Djokovic or that other one, but I've been watching tennis for a number of years and I've yet to see anyone win a slam in the semi finals. What you can do at that point is lose one. In two of the last three majors Andy has played in he hasn't lost a match. That's good enough for me, and I couldn't give a flying fig who he has played to do it.

Ohh, beautifully put TJ! clap clap
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #425 on: August 31, 2013, 03:13 PM »

Ohh, beautifully put TJ! clap clap

Ta, we aim to please Smile.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #426 on: August 31, 2013, 04:08 PM »

I watched the Hewitt/DelPo match last night. Great result for Rusty, but I reckon that's as far as he goes in this tournie.
DelPo had 70 UE's!

It was more DelPo lost than Rusty won, but well done to him.
I feel bad for JM. His wrist problems continue to haunt him.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #427 on: August 31, 2013, 04:32 PM »

asterixed slams indeed.  Surely more to the point is that Andy is the only one of the 'fab four' to have won his first slam against someone who had already won a number of slams; the rest of them all played someone who had never done so. And to win Wimbledon with the weight of expectation on his shoulders against world #1 really makes it irrelevant who he didn't play against.

so pleased to see that Baggy beat Anderson.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #428 on: August 31, 2013, 05:01 PM »

asterixed slams indeed.  Surely more to the point is that Andy is the only one of the 'fab four' to have won his first slam against someone who had already won a number of slams; the rest of them all played someone who had never done so. And to win Wimbledon with the weight of expectation on his shoulders against world #1 really makes it irrelevant who he didn't play against.

so pleased to see that Baggy beat Anderson.

Quite! I read a few articles which mentioned the respect other top players had for Andy's ability to withstand the pressure of playing at Wimbledon - let alone win it. And McEnroe was quoted as saying  Federer would never have won it so many times if he'd been in that situation. Numerous comms / writers have referred to the fact that the other 3 in the 'Big 4' all won their first (and in feds case a few others too) slams against 'surprise' opponents unlike Andy who has always faced Federer or Djokovic in  all his finals - including the Olympics. The ability to recognise this achievement is what separates the tennis reporters for me.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #429 on: August 31, 2013, 06:32 PM »

David Ferrer is a joke.
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #430 on: August 31, 2013, 06:32 PM »

C'mon Cornet, the sooner Noserenka is out the better Sloane will do.
IP Logged
Dropnet

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #431 on: August 31, 2013, 07:33 PM »

Take a look at Nadal's attitude. He appears like invincible.
It is there that Andy can improve. I am sure that doing it, his game and success would be more more more amazing.
IP Logged
Dropnet

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #432 on: August 31, 2013, 07:35 PM »

I don't like Nadal, his game and his image of invincible man, but I think I don't like it because he is not my favourite player. Andy could keep his style and his fantasy, but mentally he needs to be more sure, showing to opponent that he is Wimbledon champion, Us Open champion, fab 4.
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #433 on: August 31, 2013, 07:38 PM »

Nadal is hitting huge forehand winners from 10 feet back, impossible.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #434 on: August 31, 2013, 09:32 PM »

Just finished watching Rafa's practise.. oops, match.

He looks incredibly confident and invincible.  nervous
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 102 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »