Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  US Open 2013 - The other players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 ... 102 Go Down Reply
Author

US Open 2013 - The other players

(Read 18370 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #435 on: August 31, 2013, 09:57 PM »

Hope Tursunov ends this nonsense joke in 4.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #436 on: August 31, 2013, 09:58 PM »

Rafa has got USO all but sewn up. I think unfortunately. I remain hopeful if Andy makes the final i give him a shot, but idk Dal looks unbeatable....
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #437 on: August 31, 2013, 10:03 PM »

Rafa has got USO all but sewn up. I think unfortunately. I remain hopeful if Andy makes the final i give him a shot, but idk Dal looks unbeatable....
Tsk,Tsk,Tsk, watch and learn.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #438 on: August 31, 2013, 10:14 PM »

Tsk,Tsk,Tsk, watch and learn.

Did you slip something into his water bottles while you were there?   Think
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #439 on: August 31, 2013, 10:20 PM »

Not so sure about that, i too watched the match, he didn't look invincible to me, in fact Dodig had chances to break, and pretty much matched him for 2 sets, he was also missing a lot of easy shots, he's still playing well but he hasn't been up against anyone yet who could trouble him.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #440 on: August 31, 2013, 10:32 PM »

Not so sure about that, i too watched the match, he didn't look invincible to me, in fact Dodig had chances to break, and pretty much matched him for 2 sets, he was also missing a lot of easy shots, he's still playing well but he hasn't been up against anyone yet who could trouble him.

Yet being the operative word. And which top player is he yet to face since is comeback? Andy won't be handing it gift wrapped to Rafa.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #441 on: August 31, 2013, 10:33 PM »

I was surprised how well Dodig stayed with Nadal for a couple of sets. I knew Dodig had beaten him once, but even so, it surprised me. What I think Nadal did today was outlast Dodig physically, but I don't think Nadal could do that with Andy, not now.

Nadal hasn't faced anyone yet who could really threaten over the long haul.

It fascinates me that of all the top players, it is only Andy Nadal is still yet to play since he came back. I find that intriguing. I also find it interesting when comms come out with rubbish like the only one who can beat Nadal is Djokovic. Yes, right, like at RG when Novak was too busy playing possum to bother playing? Still, it's a challenge that, one I bet Andy wouldn't shy away from.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #442 on: August 31, 2013, 10:36 PM »

Did you slip something into his water bottles while you were there?   Think

'....and lead us not into temptation....'
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #443 on: August 31, 2013, 10:36 PM »

^playing possum? I doubt Novak wanted to push their match to 5 sets.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #444 on: August 31, 2013, 10:38 PM »

Would one of you do me a favour? Ask the comms not to use the word 'groin' as in 'groin injury'? That word makes me cringe!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #445 on: August 31, 2013, 10:40 PM »

^playing possum? I doubt Novak wanted to push their match to 5 sets.

I honestly think he was playing possum. He's done it before.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #446 on: August 31, 2013, 10:51 PM »

Rafa on clay is basically the toughest challenge in tennis. Nole is 0-5 at Roland Garros vs Rafa. To think he wouldn't want to win as quickly as possible seems far-fetched imo. He was behind in 2012 until the weather shifted and he started to come back then too. Indeed he is regularly a slow-starter.

But I agree with another post you made earlier.

The USO and Wimbledon presumably, because Djokovic is such a pushover. Dear God, I despair!

There are no asterisks in winning slams. You either win or you don't. You don't get better prize money or ranking points based on the perceived worth of your opponent. There are no ifs, buts or maybes about the conditions. Andy has beaten Djokovic in high winds. He's beaten him in extreme heat with no air. Both times Andy won, the first time in five sets, where he made Djokovic work for every point, the second in straight sets, where he made Djokovic work for every point and tried to make him have a nervous breakdown as well. I have a feeling he won that battle as well as the trophy. ....

Indeed, this "perceived worth of opponents" applies to finalists, semifinalists, and so on, for all of the players' slam wins to be fair. A player can only play who is in front of him or her. If Djokovic got Tsonga in his first slam final it's because Tsonga took out Rafa and Nole took out Fed in the semis, much like Berd took out Fed last year here and Andy beat Novak in the final. NO slam wins are easy. Even though we know Rafa kind of "won" the FO this year when he beat Nole in the semis, he still had to beat Ferrer in the finals and in sport you never know (although in this case... ha ha). Sometimes a player gets an easier match in the later stages; some draws maybe do play out more easily than others, but that doesn't mean the ultimate prize didn't take effort, focus, concentration, expertise etc. Ideally, excuses shouldn't be made for any players who win slams. The current "top 4" (thinking of the traditional "big 4") players are all pretty legendary in their own ways and have all earned each of their wins.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #447 on: August 31, 2013, 11:11 PM »

Isner is terrible under pressure.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #448 on: August 31, 2013, 11:13 PM »

Isner is terrible under pressure.
No more he ain't, cause he's out.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #449 on: August 31, 2013, 11:18 PM »

Oh well, Evans next then.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 ... 102 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »