Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  US Open 2013 - The other players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 ... 102 Go Down Reply
Author

US Open 2013 - The other players

(Read 19209 times)
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #645 on: September 03, 2013, 09:02 AM »

I know Federer says how much he loves playing, but do you think he will be able to cope with losing more often and sliding down the ranking?  Might this defeat see him not qualify for the O2 and could it prompt his retirement at the end of the year?  Should he bow out at the top or be content to keep on playing, regardless of the results, until his body says "enough"?  No doubt we'll see him in the Seniors, etc.

Apparently,because of how early Delpo went out,even though Fed does lose points with this defeat,he'll still actually rise to No. 6 in the rankings,so no-no more sliding just yet.

But,like you, I have to wonder how long Fed will play purely for the "love of playing".He might be saying now that there's not much difference between no. 7 and no. 4,but it's not so long ago that he used to say there was a HUGE difference between those rankings,and that it was very tough to close the gap.Of course,that was back when he was still at the top-and nobody,least of all him,would've dreamed of him losing to Robredo!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #646 on: September 03, 2013, 09:12 AM »

I am still shocked Boredo managed to beat Fed.

Quite frankly I am not happy about the result at all. Whilst I dislike Fed the character, I still love his Tennis when he's on form, and it's kind of sad to see him to sink to new lows. Boredo is a BORING player, and his brand of Tennis is really disgusting. I'd much rather see Federer win than Boredo make a Slam QF through pushing and waiting on opponents errors.

Boredo used gamesmanship to play with Evo's mind in their R3 match, and instead of a talented shotmaker in Evans facing Fed, we got a boring gamesmanship user.

Now I am not sure if Evo would have been able to beat this Fed simply because Fed somehow has the know how to toy with these youngsters, and beat them quite well. Even if Fed was playing well below par vs Evo, his name alone would have perhaps given Fed the edge vs a tired and emotionally drained Qualifier.

Oh well, I guess it's good for Fed that he avoided yet another beat down from his master, but I can't help but think had Fed faced Nadal he would have stepped it up and given it his absolute all.

Kind of sad to see a legend fall so fast, I am still dissapointed I haven't seen Fed live even though I was scheduled to see Fed vs JJ live this year until Fed crashed out to Stakovsky. But it is what it is.

I hope Fed doesn't completely explode, and still has a few classic moments before retiring.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #647 on: September 03, 2013, 09:19 AM »

I am still shocked Boredo managed to beat Fed.

Quite frankly I am not happy about the result at all. Whilst I dislike Fed the character, I still love his Tennis when he's on form, and it's kind of sad to see him to sink to new lows. Boredo is a BORING player, and his brand of Tennis is really disgusting. I'd much rather see Federer win than Boredo make a Slam QF through pushing and waiting on opponents errors.

Boredo used gamesmanship to play with Evo's mind in their R3 match, and instead of a talented shotmaker in Evans facing Fed, we got a boring gamesmanship user.

Now I am not sure if Evo would have been able to beat this Fed simply because Fed somehow has the know how to toy with these youngsters, and beat them quite well. Even if Fed was playing well below par vs Evo, his name alone would have perhaps given Fed the edge vs a tired and emotionally drained Qualifier.

Oh well, I guess it's good for Fed that he avoided yet another beat down from his master, but I can't help but think had Fed faced Nadal he would have stepped it up and given it his absolute all.

Kind of sad to see a legend fall so fast, I am still dissapointed I haven't seen Fed live even though I was scheduled to see Fed vs JJ live this year until Fed crashed out to Stakovsky. But it is what it is.

I hope Fed doesn't completely explode, and still has a few classic moments before retiring.

Robredo is Spanish, like Kneedal and Ferrer. Anyone spot the connection?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #648 on: September 03, 2013, 09:21 AM »

They all grunt like morons
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #649 on: September 03, 2013, 09:53 AM »

I see what you mean, Masaka!!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #650 on: September 03, 2013, 10:05 AM »

I spot a connection - all great fighters who always give 100% on the court. In Robredo's case, he deserves so much credit for how he's come back from being out 14 months. He had to play on the Challenger tour initially, but has gradually improved his ranking and now has reached two slam QFs this year.

I'm very pleased for Gasquet too. He's been stuck at the R16 stage of slams for so long now. After missing chances to go a break up in the fifth set, I thought Milos would take the match - pleased to be proved wrong.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #651 on: September 03, 2013, 10:31 AM »

A few thoughts from someone who was awake in the middle of the night following the Fleming doubles, and is therefore over tired.

Tommy Robredo    Spanish  Aged 31 - Doing better than ever
David Ferrer Spanish Aged 31- Doing better than ever
Rafael Nadal Spanish Aged 27 - Purportedly with career ending knee injuries. Doing better than ever.

Roger Federer Aged 32 - Not Spanish - steady decline

Lance Armstrong............ Major purportedly career ending health issues. Mr lots of doping rumours, but never failed a drug test. Remind you of anyone?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #652 on: September 03, 2013, 11:39 AM »

I saw a bit of Robredo/Federer before I went to bed last night, although not from the start. I have to say I'm not in the least surprised Robredo won. Federer was looking flustered, really unsure of himself, apart from every now and then, which looked more about the survival instinct than anything. He just couldn't get through Robredo at all.

To be honest I haven't got the heart to mock Federer for this one. It's starting to feel a bit like mocking the afflicted. I almost felt a bit sorry for him when I heard he'd lost, not because he lost per se, but because he must be humiliating himself now. I suspect that even if he has moved back up a place in the rankings he'd much prefer to be doing some winning. He's starting to look like a man who knows the end is in sight, but won't accept it. Sad really.

I was shocked by the look of Paul Annacone last night. Now there is a man who looks like he knows full well he'll be looking for another job soon. He looked like it was all rather inevitable. He also looked really scruffy, which means nothing in itself, but is a far cry from all that neat 'perfection' that usually surrounds Federer.

I was pleased to hear Kholi had given Nadal a bit of a match. Raonic going out at the same stage as last year didn't really surprise me.

As much as I like Ferrer, I felt sorry for Tipsy when I heard he lost. He played some great stuff at times, just couldn't take his chances when he needed to.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #653 on: September 03, 2013, 11:42 AM »

A few thoughts from someone who was awake in the middle of the night following the Fleming doubles, and is therefore over tired.

Tommy Robredo    Spanish  Aged 31 - Doing better than ever
David Ferrer Spanish Aged 31- Doing better than ever
Rafael Nadal Spanish Aged 27 - Purportedly with career ending knee injuries. Doing better than ever.

Roger Federer Aged 32 - Not Spanish - steady decline

Lance Armstrong............ Major purportedly career ending health issues. Mr lots of doping rumours, but never failed a drug test. Remind you of anyone?

God are you still going on about doping  Rolling Eyes give it a rest eh.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #654 on: September 03, 2013, 11:43 AM »

Masaka ever heard of libel?

Keep your doping thoughts to yourself because the site could be in trouble if a player stumbled across your posts.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #655 on: September 03, 2013, 12:05 PM »

Masaka ever heard of libel?

Keep your doping thoughts to yourself because the site could be in trouble if a player stumbled across your posts.

If Mark wants me to stop posting on this topic, because I might potentially be putting this site at risk, he only has to ask me, and I will of course do so. He doesn't even need to do it nicely. I am quite willing to delete any posts he has an issue with.  Can't see what is possibly libellous about my post above. It makes three observations and asks a question.  I have repeatedly stated that my comments reflect my personal opinion on the topic.

Personally I think it's an important topic, particularly given the damage Lance Armstrong did to cycling. A situation that was compounded by the niavety of many of the fans.

Boring I know, but unpleasant, and difficult topics often are.  I have never been very good at burying my head in the sand. There is an obvious connection to me. I am staggered that some people can't or won't see it.

Mark?

IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #656 on: September 03, 2013, 12:20 PM »

@Prod
In fairness to Masaka, Yannik Noah got there first Whistle
IP Logged
Cmongoose
Satellite Level

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #657 on: September 03, 2013, 01:50 PM »

Masaka is spot on as far as I'm concerned
please its obvious;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22578200

And yes its AMAZING the return Nadal and Robredo have made
No honestly  Whistle
[ Last edit by Cmongoose September 03, 2013, 01:54 PM ] IP Logged
Cmongoose
Satellite Level

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #658 on: September 03, 2013, 02:03 PM »

I spot a connection - all great fighters who always give 100% on the court. In Robredo's case, he deserves so much credit for how he's come back from being out 14 months. He had to play on the Challenger tour initially, but has gradually improved his ranking and now has reached two slam QFs this year.

Oh yes!
And played 3 successive 5 setters in the French
Unbelievable!!!
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #659 on: September 03, 2013, 02:04 PM »

Masaka is spot on as far as I'm concerned
please its obvious;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22578200

And yes its AMAZING the return Nadal and Robredo have made
No honestly  Whistle

Do you know if the appeal has been heard yet, or when it is due to be heard?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 ... 102 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »