Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  US Open 2013 - The other players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 [101] 102 Go Down Reply
Author

US Open 2013 - The other players

(Read 19499 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #1500 on: September 10, 2013, 11:47 AM »

I read it a couple of times to get the gist. Very Happy

Sorry. I'm a shocking writer.

Yes, the Australian Open is the only slam he's won since 2011.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #1501 on: September 10, 2013, 11:58 AM »

If Murray hadn't been physically and even more emotionally drained from finally beating Federer  in a GS,  I don't think he would have even got that. Murray would have 3 by now.

I agree with that. Some will say that's Andy's fault, just as they will point the finger after the USO this year. I see it differently and see it as all as a process Andy is dealing with. He's doing pretty well at it too.

I also don't think Andy's USO form this year is anything worry about. I'm in no doubt Andy will be back and better for it. Assuming Nadal finishes the year at no.1, and realistically I can't see him being stopped now, I think it's now a race for the no.2 spot, and though I haven't looked at the numbers to work out if it is mathematically possible, I still would not be surprised if Andy finishes the year back at no.2. Andy might have had a loss of form since Wimbledon, but Djokovic has lost a lot of confidence through this year. He isn't looking much like superman just at the moment and I really think a fit, fresh Andy would have the edge on him in most situations at the moment, psychologically as much as any other way, and an awful lot of tennis is played between the ears.

I think Djokovic is suffering the effect of having Andy and Nadal breathing down his neck. In 2011 it was probably easier, because although he was pushed a few times, a couple of times Andy got very close, Djokovic was winning. That clearly breeds confidence. Now he's got two of them chasing his tail and he's clearly not comfortable. I can't comment on last night because I didn't watch and have only seen clips on the news this morning, but at Wimbledon there were times when Djokovic looked frightened. That can't help him and must do the opposition the power of good.

IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #1502 on: September 10, 2013, 03:35 PM »

Nadal surging ahead is not a bad thing, i Remember Federer saying that tough competition is what made him still hungry and look for that little bit extra in trying to stay level, Andy & Novak will simply look for ways to improve their own games in order to match Rafa's level, both of them may have been complacent, but they will now have added incentive to improve.

Not sure how people can think Andy has had a poor year when he's the 2nd most succesful player on tour currently.
[ Last edit by The Gnome September 10, 2013, 03:44 PM ] IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #1503 on: September 10, 2013, 03:52 PM »

Nadal surging ahead is not a bad thing, i Remember Federer saying that tough competition is what made him still hungry and look for that little bit extra in trying to stay level, Andy & Novak will simply look for ways to improve their own games in order to match Rafa's level, both of them may have been complacent, but they will now have added incentive to improve.

Not sure how people can think Andy has had a poor year when he's the 2nd most succesful player on tour currently.

Second most succesful ?
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #1504 on: September 10, 2013, 04:06 PM »

I agree with that. Some will say that's Andy's fault, just as they will point the finger after the USO this year. I see it differently and see it as all as a process Andy is dealing with. He's doing pretty well at it too.

I also don't think Andy's USO form this year is anything worry about. I'm in no doubt Andy will be back and better for it. Assuming Nadal finishes the year at no.1, and realistically I can't see him being stopped now, I think it's now a race for the no.2 spot, and though I haven't looked at the numbers to work out if it is mathematically possible, I still would not be surprised if Andy finishes the year back at no.2. Andy might have had a loss of form since Wimbledon, but Djokovic has lost a lot of confidence through this year. He isn't looking much like superman just at the moment and I really think a fit, fresh Andy would have the edge on him in most situations at the moment, psychologically as much as any other way, and an awful lot of tennis is played between the ears.

I think Djokovic is suffering the effect of having Andy and Nadal breathing down his neck. In 2011 it was probably easier, because although he was pushed a few times, a couple of times Andy got very close, Djokovic was winning. That clearly breeds confidence. Now he's got two of them chasing his tail and he's clearly not comfortable. I can't comment on last night because I didn't watch and have only seen clips on the news this morning, but at Wimbledon there were times when Djokovic looked frightened. That can't help him and must do the opposition the power of good.

Djokovic is over 2,000 points ahead of Andy in the race so I think he'll be safe at 2. Andy should finish the year at 3 though.

I agree about Novak having lost confidence. I think the RG match was key for his season. He'd targeted it as his main goal for the year and he fell just short. If he'd won that match, chances are that Rafa wouldn't have gone to to sweep the US hardcourt season as he's a confidence player himself.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #1505 on: September 10, 2013, 04:07 PM »

Second most succesful ?

Only Rafa has won more titles this year than him, Andy is 2nd with 4
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #1506 on: September 10, 2013, 07:19 PM »

Carreno-Busta has won 11.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #1507 on: September 10, 2013, 07:20 PM »

Titles aren't the only measurement of success.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #1508 on: September 10, 2013, 07:23 PM »

Mostly challengers, but yes, he has been majorly consistent this year, had some tough wins too to get the titles.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #1509 on: September 10, 2013, 08:14 PM »

agree, last year, the day after the USO, I went to work a kind of drunk  with no booze and a very little sleep....

I went to work with no sleep and a little drunk on plenty of booze Wink

Time for an anniversary drink I feel cheers
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #1510 on: September 10, 2013, 09:02 PM »

I went to work with no sleep and a little drunk on plenty of booze Wink
I had plenty to drink,no sleep but went to work,so I'm told.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #1511 on: September 10, 2013, 09:30 PM »

As in - was physically present in your place of work? (I'd say that's how I'd've described myself).

Like sound of anniversary drink mind you.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #1512 on: September 10, 2013, 09:41 PM »

Nigel (grabcopy) started a pub thread when Andy won the USO.
That would be a good hang-out for anyone interested to re-toast to the his glorious moment.

Would have to look for it.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #1513 on: September 10, 2013, 10:33 PM »

I clearly wasn't including challengers, and neither was the official ATP website where i got the info from.
[ Last edit by The Gnome September 10, 2013, 11:11 PM ] IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: US Open 2013 - The other players « Reply #1514 on: September 10, 2013, 10:36 PM »

Titles aren't the only measurement of success.

If Rafa had made all these finals this year but didn't win any of them, you think that would be a reason to celebrate? he'd probably take another 7 months off to work on what's gone wrong.
I'm pretty sure if you asked any tennis player if they would prefer 10 finals or 4 titles they would choose the titles,
[ Last edit by The Gnome September 10, 2013, 11:12 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 [101] 102 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »