Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  What's your tennis rating? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 13 Go Down Reply
Author

What's your tennis rating?

(Read 4968 times)
Yamor
Top Seed

What's your tennis rating? « Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 04:53 PM »

I'd imagine you'd turn pro before then.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

What's your tennis rating? « Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 05:35 PM »

LTA rankings system. 1.1 is the best you can get e.g murray. 10.2 is where is starts

What game are you guys on about?
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

What's your tennis rating? « Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 05:38 PM »

Tennis, for real, not a computer game
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

What's your tennis rating? « Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 05:39 PM »

Tennis, for real, not a computer game

I dont get all this 1.1 and 3.1 talk Frown
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

What's your tennis rating? « Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 05:41 PM »

The LTA have a rating system, as described earlier by Chris, for tennis players throughout the country, which I assume affects which tournaments you can enter etc.
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

What's your tennis rating? « Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 07:44 PM »

Just like golf and its handicap crap!  my mate at workj spent all day telling me about his handicap rating and what it meant and what he could do with it. God it was boring.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

What's your tennis rating? « Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 07:46 PM »

Just like golf and its handicap crap!  my mate at workj spent all day telling me about his handicap rating and what it meant and what he could do with it. God it was boring.

You should have kicked his ass.
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

What's your tennis rating? « Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 07:46 PM »

You should have kicked his ass.

Well that would have been a bit extreme, but would have worked. lol
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

What's your tennis rating? « Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 07:50 PM »

Well that would have been a bit extreme, but would have worked. lol

Desperate times call for desperate measures.  Golf talk = desperate times.

Actually, my dad is a golf fan.  Delighted in telling me that he got his handicap back down to 10 today.

I don't like the handicap system.  It means you can be miles better than your opponent and still lose even when you get a far, far lower score.
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

What's your tennis rating? « Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 09:53 PM »

LTA Ratings.

ALL pros (i.e. if you are world ranked in seniors pretty much) are 1.1.

Everyone else is 1.2, 2.1, 2.2 etc etc up to 9.2 for adults and up to 10.2 for juniors.

It takes ages to improve now as you have to a) win 3 matches against players rated higher than you and b) have a 60% win ratio in all qualyfying matches. It used to just be winning the 3 matches but they stopped this because of people just playing every week and increasing ratings by sheer number of matches, despite not actually being that good.

A qualyfying match is one in which you beat a player ranked higher, or you lose to a player ranked lower.

If you lose to a player ranked higher or beat a player ranked lower, it doesn't count to your ratio.

I just got my rating recently and am at 8.2 lol Playing my first tourney in a couple of weeks which should be fun Smile Depends on the draw as to whether I can actually make any progress. Anyone who is greater than a 6.2 would be fine as I feel I could beat them if playing well. AS long as I don't draw my doubles partner who is a 4.2........ I drew him 3 years in a row in the first round of the school champs  - 6-0, 6-1, 6-0. Frown lol
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

What's your tennis rating? « Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 10:44 AM »

The USTA rating is better I feel, goes from 1.0 - 6.0 (novice - pro)
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

What's your tennis rating? « Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 10:45 AM »

What rating are you, Andrew?
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

What's your tennis rating? « Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 10:54 AM »

I just cant get the movement and timing right. plus my manual is in SPanish so I dont really know the controls.

A - Flat shot
B - Top spin shot
X - Slice
Y + pushing left analogue stick up - Lob
Y + pushing left analogue stick down - Drop Shot

LT - Risk Shot (down the line)
RT - Risk Shot (added power)
RB - Hold to approach the net after shot
LB - To get into position after shot
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

What's your tennis rating? « Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 10:54 AM »

What rating are you, Andrew?

Haven't got an LTA rating, but on the USTA rating, I'd say I'm 3.5 and hopefully pushing onto 4.0 after this summer. Smile

You have limited experience and are working primarily on getting the ball in play.

You lack court experience and your strokes need developing.  You are familiar with the basic positions for singles and doubles play.

You are learning to judge where the ball is going, although your court coverage is limited.  You can sustain a short rally of slow pace with other players of the same ability.

You are fairly consistent when hitting medium-paced shots, but are not comfortable with all strokes and lack execution when trying for directional control, depth, or power. Your most common doubles formation is one-up, one-back.

You have achieved improved stroke dependability with directional control on moderate shots, but need to develop depth and variety. You exhibit more aggressive net play, have improved court coverage and are developing teamwork in doubles.

You have dependable strokes, including directional control and depth on both forehand and backhand sides on moderate-paced shots.  You can use lobs, overheads, approach shots and volleys with some success and occasionally force errors when serving. Rallies may be lost due to impatience. Teamwork in doubles is evident.

You have developed your use of power and spin and can handle pace. You have sound footwork, can control depth of shots, and attempt to vary game plan according to your opponents.  You can hit first serves with power and accuracy and place the second serve.  You tend to overhit on difficult shots. Aggressive net play is common in doubles.

You have good shot anticipation and frequently have an outstanding shot or attribute around which a game may be structured.  You can regularly hit winners or force errors off of short balls and can put away volleys.  You can successfully execute lobs, drop shots, half volleys, overhead smashes, and have good depth and spin on most second serves.

You have mastered power and/or consistency as a major weapon. You can vary strategies and styles of play in a competitive situation and hit dependable shots in a stress situation.

6.0 to 7.0
You have had intensive training for national tournament competition at the junior and collegiate levels and have obtained a sectional and/or national ranking.

You are a world-class player.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

What's your tennis rating? « Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 11:08 AM »

I'm sure you think you are, Andrew Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »