Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Who are the best pundits? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Down Reply
Author

Who are the best pundits?

(Read 5147 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #120 on: April 27, 2013, 10:38 PM »

The eyes tell the truth.. yes
Windows to the Soul.  yes

Tis true.. unless you have an eye infection.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #121 on: April 27, 2013, 10:39 PM »

How did you meet him ? :O
He was playing on the practice courts (behind him) and he went to fetch a ball which was near to where I was standing, so I started talking to him.
IP Logged
CoolDude
Futures Level

us open champion 2012

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #122 on: April 27, 2013, 10:41 PM »

He was playing on the practice courts (behind him) and he went to fetch a ball which was near to where I was standing, so I started talking to him.
oh cool  looks happy xD
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #123 on: April 27, 2013, 10:42 PM »

Windows to the Soul.  yes
Ive been caught out loads of times over the years by my better half.......my excuses which have been plenty never ever corresponded with the look in my eyes. Smile
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #124 on: April 27, 2013, 10:46 PM »

Ive been caught out loads of times over the years by my better half.......my excuses which have been plenty never ever corresponded with the look in my eyes. Smile
No - I suspect with what lies below your naval.  Now, I'm shuddering...  AND - you have single handedly corrupted this thread.  I wish I weren't too polite to ignore you!  Very Happy
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #125 on: April 27, 2013, 10:58 PM »

No - I suspect with what lies below your naval. 
Love my better half too much for that to ever happen......was meaning minor discrepancy,s.. Very Happy
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #126 on: April 27, 2013, 11:01 PM »

Love my better half too much for that to ever happen......was meaning minor discrepancy,s.. Very Happy
I know you were talking 'looking, but not touching'.  You're a sweet man, even if you do tell very bad jokes!  hug
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #127 on: April 27, 2013, 11:03 PM »

even if you do tell very bad jokes!  hug
Its my role in life Elly. hug
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #128 on: April 27, 2013, 11:03 PM »

Love my better half too much for that to ever happen
Good lad.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #129 on: April 28, 2013, 12:05 AM »

Yep, Petchey and Fleming also good to listen to - a real love for the game always comes across and an ability to be enthusiastic yet objective. Do know what folk mean re Becker being a bit sleazy, it's what put me off him when he was on tour, but do find him interesting and knowledgeable to listen to as a pundit. do also usually like Marcus - I remember him from way back on radio 2 and the fledgling radio 5 - if my memory serves me right his cat featured a lot in his chat! lol. He wasa good radio anchorman for the beeb which is where I first remember hearing John Inverdale and also Clare Balding, both excellent.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #130 on: April 28, 2013, 06:24 AM »

Sam Smith is my favourite. She's really knowledgeable, doesn't jabba on unnecessarily, has interesting anecdotes to tell and gets her tennis kit on for the veteran doubles at Wimbledon. clap What's not to like?
Ace woman yay
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #131 on: April 28, 2013, 12:47 PM »

My favourite double act, as it were, is Petch and Fleming. I think they work brilliantly together. I think it's funny to hear Peter Fleming when he gets excited, he sort of sounds like he's been sniffing something, but I can handle that. Petch is brilliant when he forgets himself. His commentary during Andy's match with Lopez at the USO is a Petchey classic. I think he sort of forgot that he was supposed to be a neutral observer lol.

Fleming can also be hilarious when he commentates with Cowan. Sometimes you can almost hear Fleming rolling his eyes at Cowan's latest outpouring of the bleeding obvious. I remember having fits during the USO in 2011. I don't remember who I was watching, but it wasn't Andy. Anyway, one of the players was chasing a shot down and Cowan goes, in that tone of his that suggests he's trying to crawl up the headmaster's rear end, 'We would have got back to that, wouldn't we Peter?' With no hesitation whatsoever Fleming replied 'I might have done, but you're too fat'. I swear I nearly wet myself laughing! It wasn't what he said, it was the way he said it, very dry, very quick and with no sense of 'I really shouldn't say this'. It was utterly priceless! What made it funnier was the long pause in commentary after. I think Cowan was in a huff!

I love McEnroe as a commentator. The only time he gets annoying is when he gets side-tracked. If he keeps to the point, i.e. the match he is actually watching, he's brilliant. I like his insight, but I also like the way he will explain what a player needs to do and why. He does it in a way that doesn't sound patronising.

I don't mind Castle just lately. Maybe it's because he's gone all supportive on Andy Whistle. I think his commentary with Tim Henman at the Olympic final is a classic. It was probably biased, but who cares?

I think Sam Smith was a revelation at the French last year. I really liked her balanced take on things.

I can sort of take or leave Shiras. That inane chirpiness of his gets on  my nerves, but he's harmless enough.

Wilander is creepy. The man makes me shudder. Becker can be all right, but he can come out with some utter crap too, rather like Pat Cash, although Cash can be quite funny too.

I despise David Mercer. I know he was an umpire, so he apparently knows his stuff, but the man is so up himself. Some of the snide stuff he has aimed at Andy has been really uncalled for, but I get the feeling Mercer is the founder member of Federer's fan club, so I have to put it down to where it comes from. Him and VW make a great pair. Frew Macmillan can be the same.

I'd rather not listen to Chris Bradman, he's such a big-head. His commentaries with Jo Durie are awful. I'd also like to take a baseball bat to Simon Reed. I HATE that man.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #132 on: April 29, 2013, 09:39 AM »

Anyone else met or spoken to any pundits?  If so, what were your impressions?
I almost bumped into John Inverdale coming off no 1 court at Queens last year.  I congratulated him on the RG coverage on ITV and he smiled and said thank you but shhh so bbc didn't hear - or something like that as can't remember the details now.  I thought he looked better in real life than on screen.
The reason I said Becker is sexist is that I've heard him make sexist remarks about female spectactors.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #133 on: April 29, 2013, 09:51 AM »

I don't mind Castle just lately. Maybe it's because he's gone all supportive on Andy Whistle. I think his commentary with Tim Henman at the Olympic final is a classic. It was probably biased, but who cares?

You make a very good point there Teejay-I'd forgotten it was he who commentated with Tim on the Olympic final.I enjoyed that tremendously,I have to say.It was completely biased,lol,but that was part of the fun of it!Remembering that perhaps I'll try and look a bit more favourably on him in the future-though I still don't like him haha!Maybe if he's very,very nice about Andy for a good while-maybe then I won't mind him.We'll see! Shrug

Tim himself isn't a bad commentator either,come to think of it.I like listening to him.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #134 on: April 29, 2013, 11:13 AM »

I dislike Castle too dani even though he is more positive about Andy than he used to be.  But can't share your enthusiasm about Tim - find him boring, banal and part of the 'bleeding obvious' brigade  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »