Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Who are the best pundits? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Reply
Author

Who are the best pundits?

(Read 4465 times)
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #45 on: December 10, 2010, 07:04 PM »

Yes, thanks Mark. Hadn't noticed this one.  But Daisy can't believe there's nothing more to say and there are quite a few of us on MW now who weren't on it in 2006.

All true ...
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #46 on: December 11, 2010, 12:40 PM »

What I cannot stand is commentators who talk the most banal rubbish during games, nothing to do with the game being played and laughing at their own jokes!  Going back a few years the best was Dan Maskell, no words were necessary apart from 'I say' and 'oh my word'.  Imo the best around at the moment is John McEnroe, I think he tells it as it is.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #47 on: December 11, 2010, 01:19 PM »

What I cannot stand is commentators who talk the most banal rubbish during games, nothing to do with the game being played and laughing at their own jokes!  Going back a few years the best was Dan Maskell, no words were necessary apart from 'I say' and 'oh my word'.  Imo the best around at the moment is John McEnroe, I think he tells it as it is.
I agree with that Iris apart from Dan Maskell - for me he epitomised the old upper middle class ethos of British tennis, which our Andy crashed through.

Didn't hear most of the pundits around WTF as I was there for much of it, so can't comment on Pat Cash's contribution to that - but I just find him fun.  I'll listen more critically next time he's on.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #48 on: December 11, 2010, 09:21 PM »

Barry Cowan has 'grown' on me over the past year or so and I love Peter Fleming. Andrew Castle I avoid like the plague. John McEnroe is brilliant and he seems to have a good eye for Andy's game and Andy himself - wish he would help Andy out as a sort of partial coach - might be some fireworks but there could be humour too and the result - well! More fireworks - love to see that one!  Mark Petchey is still pretty close to Andy and they are good friends.

I prefer the Sky commentators to those on BBC and the Eurosport ones can be irritating but when there's non-one else ...... you can always watch on mute!
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #49 on: December 11, 2010, 10:49 PM »

I wrote a video script for Andrew C#stle. The client was selling property in Barbados and C#stle's job was to flog these villas on a website video. He got a free villa in the Caribbean; I got about £500.

I never met him, but the client did. She wasn't impressed. Says he kept throwing his arms around her and calling her darling, which reinforced my impression of him as a total creep. You can confirm this by watching a video of GMTV on You Tube - the one where he's fondling Clare Nasir's bum as she reads the weather. I'll try to find it.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #50 on: December 11, 2010, 10:57 PM »

OK, I found it but, for some reason, I'm not getting the web address in my browser. If you search You Tube for 'Clare Nasir GMTV Upskirt' (now, at this juncture, I must point out that I at no time searched for this - somebody just sent me a link), you'll be able to see Mr C#stle's wandering left hand.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #51 on: December 11, 2010, 11:00 PM »

That's amazing ... obviously feels invincible ...
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #52 on: December 11, 2010, 11:02 PM »

My other claim to fame is that Pete Bodo, the top tennis writer, once emailed me from Pete Sampras's house about an article I was writing for him for tennis.com. Pete ghosted Sampras's autobiography.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #53 on: December 11, 2010, 11:02 PM »

I like Bodo and used to read his stuff quite regularly ...
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #54 on: December 11, 2010, 11:04 PM »

Me and Pete, we're like that (some kind of appropriate emoticon needed here). Actually, I don't know him at all. Yes, he's a great writer. Steve Tignor is also v great.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #55 on: December 12, 2010, 05:27 AM »

Having limited access to tennis viewing, I don't know all that many commentators/pundits, but for me the best are John McEnroe, Tim Henman and Frew McMillan.

However, Tim is the easiest on the ears voice-wise, and he's informative because he doesn't assume that all viewers know everything about the game.

But PLEASE, PLEASE spare me the super-energised, opinionated Boris Becker!  I reach for the mute when he comes on!

Not struck on Rusedski (a bit biased in general, and it's obvious that Murray isn't top of his Christmas list) and I join in the mutual dislike of Creepy Castle.   
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #56 on: December 12, 2010, 12:52 PM »

Agree about Boris Aileen and he's another one with a reputation for sexism (which I've seen in practice on tv but can't remember now exactly what he said - just know I shouted at the tv in disgust).  And that information about Castle reinforces my v negative view of him - but I think I can live without watching his wandering hand! Whistle

Oh and Jan I too would love to see Andy and John M get together.  I'm sure JM could help Andy with his net game, serve and how to channel his frustrations.  And although they play a very different game I do think Andy more than most of the modern players has JM's skilful touch.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #57 on: December 12, 2010, 01:16 PM »

I also remember watching on TV Castle play in the final of the British Championships at Telford in about 86 vs Bates. Instead of focusing on the tennis, he had some stupid home-made placard on his chair that read 'Say no to the poll tax'. So not only is he a prat, but a left-wing one at that. *Shudders*
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #58 on: December 12, 2010, 04:03 PM »

I can't stand Barry Gowan, he is such a kiss arse, and they way he drools over Federer's arse makes me want to throw up. over him I wish. Also hate Andrew Castle the man who never won anything, but talks a good game or so he think's. I find he is very envious of Andy. I enjoy the commentating of Leif Shiras, Peter Fleming and Mark Petchy, I find Mark is very loyal to Andy and does not jump on the band wagon when other commentators are putting Andy down.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #59 on: December 12, 2010, 04:04 PM »

I also remember watching on TV Castle play in the final of the British Championships at Telford in about 86 vs Bates. Instead of focusing on the tennis, he had some stupid home-made placard on his chair that read 'Say no to the poll tax'. So not only is he a prat, but a left-wing one at that. *Shudders*
I don't think only the left opposed the poll tax.  And I'd rather a left wing prat than a right wing one - but not him!! Whistle
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »