Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Who are the best pundits? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 13 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Who are the best pundits?  (Read 4224 times)
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #60 on: December 12, 2010, 04:16 PM »

I can remember families, pensioners, younger, older people on anti poll tax marches in fact I went on one myself and I dont categorise myself as a leftie nor were many of those on the demo I was on.    I dont think you can generalise, if people feel sufficiently strong about an issue they may want to demonstrate and vent their feelings that doesn't make them lefties.  Your right though Ruthie, I don't want to be classed in the same league as Andrew Castle!
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #61 on: December 12, 2010, 07:39 PM »

Agree about Boris Aileen and he's another one with a reputation for sexism (which I've seen in practice on tv but can't remember now exactly what he said - just know I shouted at the tv in disgust).  And that information about Castle reinforces my v negative view of him - but I think I can live without watching his wandering hand! Whistle

Oh and Jan I too would love to see Andy and John M get together.  I'm sure JM could help Andy with his net game, serve and how to channel his frustrations.  And although they play a very different game I do think Andy more than most of the modern players has JM's skilful touch.
Yes, it's a 'suggestion of genius' and they both have it - what do I mean? I couldn't think of another way to put it but if he an Andy ever got together - not permanently because it wouldn't work for too long, but just long enough for Andy to learn from him and develop his own game from what he has learnt. Boris I dislike -not sure why - there's just something about his attitude towards people that I don' like. Tim Henman is the nice guy of tennis - what more can anyone say to that.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #62 on: December 13, 2010, 12:26 AM »

OK, I found it but, for some reason, I'm not getting the web address in my browser. If you search You Tube for 'Clare Nasir GMTV Upskirt' (now, at this juncture, I must point out that I at no time searched for this - somebody just sent me a link), you'll be able to see Mr C#stle's wandering left hand.

Ugh!  How could he do that so blatantly on TV - and he makes no attempt to remove it when she moves away from him!  Mind you, Ms Nasir is dressed a little provocatively, and has something of a sexy reputation, but still ...

I can't stand Barry Gowan, he is such a kiss arse, and they way he drools over Federer's arse makes me want to throw up. over him I wish. Also hate Andrew Castle the man who never won anything, but talks a good game or so he think's. I find he is very envious of Andy. I enjoy the commentating of Leif Shiras, Peter Fleming and Mark Petchy, I find Mark is very loyal to Andy and does not jump on the band wagon when other commentators are putting Andy down.
Ah yes, I'd forgotten about Mark Petchy.  He's another one of my favourites.

Agree about Boris Aileen and he's another one with a reputation for sexism (which I've seen in practice on tv but can't remember now exactly what he said - just know I shouted at the tv in disgust).  And that information about Castle reinforces my v negative view of him - but I think I can live without watching his wandering hand! Whistle
Boris did a nauseating "tell-it-all" documentary a few months ago.  He seemed to think the sex thing was amusing, and I quote -

Becker Rewarded For Sex Scandal           
Tennis legend BORIS BECKER gets an impressive discount when he dines at an exclusive London restaurant, because of the publicity they got from his notorious sexual encounter on their staircase.  NOBU got so much free advertising from the German star's drunken romp with Russian model ANGELA ERMAKOVA in 1999 - which resulted in the birth of his lovechild with her - they welcome him with open arms when he returns.  The 36-year-old says, "When I finally returned to the restaurant the same manager was there. He laughed and said, 'Ah, Mr Becker, we've been waiting for you!'  I went to Nobu in Miami as well. The manager there said I should get a big discount because I had given the restaurant so much publicity"

How could he show his face there ever again!  And yet the strawberry and pimms brigade still think he's Wimbledon's Mr Wonderful.

Oh and Jan I too would love to see Andy and John M get together.  I'm sure JM could help Andy with his net game, serve and how to channel his frustrations.  And although they play a very different game I do think Andy more than most of the modern players has JM's skilful touch.
McEnroe offered to help Andy about 4 years ago to help to channel his aggression into his tennis, even inviting him to phone him for advice, but the offer was apparently ignored.  No doubt the ever-stubborn Andy thought, as so many youngsters do, that they know it all, and I doubt the offer will be repeated.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #63 on: December 13, 2010, 06:10 PM »

I prefer the Sky commentators...

Me too.  I don't like my commentary to be too stats based and I think they get the balance just right between facts and gags.  I also like Marcus in the studio.  At one of the WTF matches, our seats were very close to the Sky box and it was interesting to watch Marcus and co doing their stuff.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #64 on: December 17, 2010, 01:46 PM »

Me too.  I don't like my commentary to be too stats based and I think they get the balance just right between facts and gags.  I also like Marcus in the studio.  At one of the WTF matches, our seats were very close to the Sky box and it was interesting to watch Marcus and co doing their stuff.
Yes I prefer Sky commentators on balance other than when JM is on BBC for Wimbledon (which Sky doesn't cover anyway).  And I like Marcus too.  He doesn't claim to be an expert but I like his style and he's a great foil for the sardonic Peter Fleming.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #65 on: December 17, 2010, 02:32 PM »

Becker Rewarded For Sex Scandal          
Tennis legend BORIS BECKER gets an impressive discount when he dines at an exclusive London restaurant, because of the publicity they got from his notorious sexual encounter on their staircase.  NOBU got so much free advertising from the German star's drunken romp with Russian model ANGELA ERMAKOVA in 1999 - which resulted in the birth of his lovechild with her - they welcome him with open arms when he returns.  The 36-year-old says, "When I finally returned to the restaurant the same manager was there. He laughed and said, 'Ah, Mr Becker, we've been waiting for you!'  I went to Nobu in Miami as well. The manager there said I should get a big discount because I had given the restaurant so much publicity"

I read Becker's autobiography - unbelievably dull for someone who always claimed to be so 'deep' - and he made an interesting statement, something like, 'It was impossible for her to be pregnant. I'm not going to go into details of what we actually did, but it was simply impossible for her to be pregnant'.

How can I put this politely? It conjured up visions of Angela 'manipulating' spillages in order to achieve the desired, dollar-ensnaring effect.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #66 on: December 17, 2010, 02:51 PM »

'It was impossible for her to be pregnant. I'm not going to go into details of what we actually did, but it was simply impossible for her to be pregnant'.

He is referring to... surely not Very Happy
[ Last edit by Mark December 17, 2010, 03:01 PM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #67 on: December 17, 2010, 02:58 PM »

No, Mark, I wasn't thinking of that. Please god, no. Not in a restaurant. I'm assuming that some kind of relief was offered. Which makes me think she must have moved pretty quickly cos, once that stuff hits the air, there's only about 15 seconds before it loses its magic.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #68 on: December 17, 2010, 03:01 PM »

surveys show anywhere from 20 to 40 percent of heterosexuals have at least tried it, and the percentage may be increasing.

Don't you forget that old Grabby.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #69 on: December 17, 2010, 03:11 PM »

I hope he had a good wash before he tackled his dessert.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #70 on: December 17, 2010, 03:17 PM »

BOYZ ... you're putting me off my afternoon tea ...  lol
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #71 on: December 17, 2010, 05:05 PM »

I don't think only the left opposed the poll tax.  And I'd rather a left wing prat than a right wing one - but not him!! Whistle

There was nothing wrong with the poll tax. It was based on council services and you didn't get any better service if you lived in a mansion or a council house. That's why it was a flat rate.

Your bins weren't emptied any more regularly and you couldn't take out your library books for longer. In fact, people in council houses were more likely to make more use of council services, e.g., when they call out the fire brigade to put out their chip-pan fires.

Why should you pay more just because you live in a bigger house? The poll tax was spot-on.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #72 on: December 17, 2010, 06:04 PM »

In fact, people in council houses were more likely to make more use of council services, e.g., when they call out the fire brigade to put out their chip-pan fires.

lol
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #73 on: December 17, 2010, 06:19 PM »

lol

Hazel will be along in a minute to say something like 'Just when I start to like you, you remind me of how horrible you are, not allowing poor people to benefit from the hard work and ball-breaking efforts of others. You really must understand how important it is that people in council houses must have absolutely no incentive to better themselves in life.'
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #74 on: December 18, 2010, 01:48 AM »

I read Becker's autobiography - unbelievably dull for someone who always claimed to be so 'deep' - and he made an interesting statement, something like, 'It was impossible for her to be pregnant. I'm not going to go into details of what we actually did, but it was simply impossible for her to be pregnant'.

How can I put this politely? It conjured up visions of Angela 'manipulating' spillages in order to achieve the desired, dollar-ensnaring effect.
Nicely put, Nigel Very Happy   Becker made the same claim in his 'frank' TV interview, but if the lady was going for 'spillage' insemination, I still think it was a pretty remote chance that she got pregnant unless she was at the most fertile part of her cycle.  Unfortunately for Boris, Becker junior was the spitting image of him.

There was nothing wrong with the poll tax. It was based on council services and you didn't get any better service if you lived in a mansion or a council house. That's why it was a flat rate.

Your bins weren't emptied any more regularly and you couldn't take out your library books for longer. In fact, people in council houses were more likely to make more use of council services, e.g., when they call out the fire brigade to put out their chip-pan fires.

Why should you pay more just because you live in a bigger house? The poll tax was spot-on.
Not quite sure what the Poll Tax is doing on this thread, but I'm glad somebody agrees with me that it was a very fair tax, unlike its successor which most certainly is not.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »