Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Who are the best pundits? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Reply
Author

Who are the best pundits?

(Read 5430 times)
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #165 on: May 02, 2013, 11:44 AM »

Can you down a pint like I can?

Aha prod! No I certainly cannot lol but you seem like my kinda drinking buddy  highfive
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #166 on: May 02, 2013, 12:19 PM »

Mark Petchey is definitely one of my favourite commentators. I loved his commentary of the US Open final: 'History is made at the US Open!...' Those words are going to be played for years in the highlights of Andy's career - he got the tone just right.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #167 on: May 02, 2013, 12:26 PM »

If you think that fine but you are a very rude  little boy who needs to learn a little respect and  your post about Andrew Castle is not acceptable.
Prodigy Eng I wan't getting at you for calling Petch a clown although I don't think he is, more for your response to Connor.
Also I thought we were meant to be talking about those we liked as Pundits more than running down those we don't like.

That is fine michelle, I apologize for upsetting you.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #168 on: May 02, 2013, 01:21 PM »

I loved his commentary of the US Open final: 'History is made at the US Open!...' Those words are going to be played for years in the highlights of Andy's career - he got the tone just right.

Good posting!  Agreed Katie,I think you put it perfectly
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #169 on: May 02, 2013, 02:13 PM »

Good posting!  Agreed Katie,I think you put it perfectly

I also love petch  wub every time I hear those words "history is made at the US open" I still get goosebumps
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #170 on: May 02, 2013, 02:19 PM »

I find pundits.....kinda irritating. TBH, I feel commentary during a match gets me distracted and is completely unnecessary. They talk as if they know everything and I do not like to hear their predictions and opinion, actually.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #171 on: May 03, 2013, 11:39 PM »

The reason I don't like Petchey, and I know this might upset some people, is because he's too much of a Murray fan boy. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with him supporting Andy, but being someone who's studied Media for the past 4-5 years, and been a fan of sports all my life, I'm not really a fan of commentators who let their fanboyism get in the way of their job. Petchey's job isn't to be Murray's personal fan boy, it's to commentate on the match in hand, impartially, and I don't feel he does that. Nothing against the guy on a personal level, but as a professional, he should not be acting like a fanboy, and the same goes for Castle and Henman. I much prefer Cowan, Shiras and Flemming on Sky, although some mention here that Cowan is critical of Andy at times, that doesn't really bother me, because the job of the commentator is to offer praise AND criticism to players and I feel Cowan does that well, his analysis is also great in my opinion.

Those reasons above are why I really like the World Feed commentators of Koenig, Goodall and Lester (Gore, Fisher, Shiras, Palmer etc are alright for world feed when they're on as well), because they're inpartial and not bias towards a certain player. They offer great analysis and are always drawn into the action going on.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #172 on: May 03, 2013, 11:56 PM »

^ I can hear what you're saying Prod, and your points do have merit.  Although, I don't see how a person can't like Petch.  He may be Andy's fan, but he doesn't take that to a point where he disrespects other players and fails to be objective.  He is just always dead chuffed when Andy does well, and if Andy doesn't do so well, he doesn't mither and moan - just gives the other guy the credit.  I think he's a lovely man and is good at what he does. 
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #173 on: May 03, 2013, 11:57 PM »

^ I can hear what you're saying Prod, and your points do have merit.  Although, I don't see how a person can't like Petch.  He may be Andy's fan, but he doesn't take that to a point where he disrespects other players and fails to be objective.  He is just always dead chuffed when Andy does well, and if Andy doesn't do so well, he doesn't mither and moan - just gives the other guy the credit.  I think he's a lovely man and is good at what he does. 

I'm not denying he's a great man, and I don't hate him, just personally I cannot listen to his commentary. I feel the same with Eurosport at times, because they seem to lick smugfeds ass a bit too much.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #174 on: May 04, 2013, 12:05 AM »

I'm not denying he's a great man, and I don't hate him, just personally I cannot listen to his commentary. I feel the same with Eurosport at times, because they seem to lick smugfeds ass a bit too much.
I think unbiased Commentators are few and far between.  They are also human and are more than likely to have a preference.  At least they're not all like Castle! 
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #175 on: May 04, 2013, 12:07 AM »

I think unbiased Commentators are few and far between.  They are also human and are more than likely to have a preference.  At least they're not all like Castle! 

I would listen to Petchey over Castle any day of the week. At least the petch knows what he's talking about, Castle is clueless.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #176 on: May 04, 2013, 12:08 AM »

I would listen to Petchey over Castle any day of the week. At least the petch knows what he's talking about, Castle is clueless.
And - has very bad hair.  Very Happy  (And that's me just being flippant)
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #177 on: May 04, 2013, 07:14 PM »

I think you make some good points Prodigy, but then again I've heard Petch be quite critical of Andy at times, so he can be objective.

I remember after Wimbledon last year I saw a clip from Sky news on the net. They were interviewing Petch about Andy's performance and his likelihood of winning a major at some point. Petch credited Andy with fighting in the final, but in talking about his future chances it was quite clear, at least to me, that he had started to have just a wee bit of doubt that Andy was ever going to come through. He didn't give specific reasons other than saying how tough this era is, with Federer and Nadal not going away, and Djokovic making his moves as well, but the point was, and it stood out a mile to me because it was Petch saying it, he didn't seem to think Andy would break through whle they were all still playing. He virtually said that he thought Federer and Nadal, at least, would have to be gone first.

Sure, that wasn't in commentary, but I just thought it was worth showing that whilst Petch clearly admires Andy, he isn't afraid to question. What he'd said came back to me after Andy won the USO. I'm sure Petch was delighted to be proved wrong.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #178 on: May 08, 2013, 08:45 PM »

Anyone else met or spoken to any pundits?  If so, what were your impressions?

Petch was happy to chat for a minute about the tournament and how he thought things would turn out.  Fleming was quieter, but found it amusing that I was so impressed with his height!  Castle was chuffed that we remembered seeing him in a local tournie back in the 90s.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Who are the best pundits? « Reply #179 on: May 08, 2013, 08:47 PM »

If you think that fine but you are a very rude  little boy who needs to learn a little respect and  your post about Andrew Castle is not acceptable.
Prodigy Eng I wan't getting at you for calling Petch a clown although I don't think he is, more for your response to Connor.
Also I thought we were meant to be talking about those we liked as Pundits more than running down those we don't like.

A development of humour wouldn't go amiss.

PS: Are you always bitter? Or is this an alter ego thing to give you a tough persona?
[ Last edit by GangstaMurray May 08, 2013, 08:55 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »