Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Today, 12:00 Midnight BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG?

(Read 1749 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 06:27 PM »

Tsonga is massively under-estimated on clay.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 07:01 PM »

It's a hard one to say. No-one would have picked Soderling in 2009, when just a few weeks earlier he lost to Nadal 6-1, 6-0 in Rome. If someone other than Djokovic is going to beat him, then I think the best chances are in the early rounds. Perhaps Dimitrov if he was playing perfect tennis? But that would be a really long shot. Gulbis perhaps - he beat Berdych in R1 of Wimbledon and loves a big occasion. He's taken a set off Nadal on clay before too. Unlikely though.

I actually think Del Potro probably has the best chance of the top 8 players (bar Djokovic). He played really well against Nadal in their Davis Cup final match. But what goes against him is the fact that he's often jaded by the time he gets to the latter end of slams (he led Federer by 2 sets to 0 at the French Open last year, but faded physically after that). But if Nadal is seeded 5, then they most likely won't play each other anyway, unless Del Potro upsets one of the top 4.

As for the rest of the top 8, past form at RG has shown that Federer can't do it. Andy's movement on clay isn't good enough (would love to be proved wrong there). Ferrer and Berdych don't have the belief against Nadal. And Tsonga's probably too inconsistent.

If someone is going to beat him, then they're going to have to be consistently excellent over 3-5 sets. Any dip in form and Nadal will take advantage and turn the match around. At the moment, I see only Djokovic as having that ability, plus the belief that he can actually do it (because he has now beaten Nadal at all the clay masters).
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 07:14 PM »

I'm going with no one pray I don't care what anyone says , I Heart Rafa Very Happy
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 07:54 PM »

I wouldn't write off Andy.  I think back to the SF in 2011.  Andy was very very close, created more break points than Rafa but just couldn't convert (sounds familiar after Madrid).  Sure, Andy isn't a natural on clay but if he goes deep in Rome and RG he'll get better and better and better.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 08:14 PM »

His knees  lol
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 08:26 PM »

Nole. Deffo not Isner, he lacks matches and confidence. could see Tsonga doing it if he gets a good start and the crowd behing him. Tho equally he could get thrashed. If Andy or Federer get a good run going in Rome and through the early RG rounds, esp if Rafa is tired from his run I'd give them a chance. but mainly Nole,
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 08:30 PM »

If there's a drug prohibition maybe.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 09:03 PM »

Have you seen Isner play this year?

He has about as much chance of beating Nadal (on any surface, let alone clay) as I do.

I am fairly sure you won't even survive 2 games against Nadal.

Anyway, the point is, Isner doesn't have to be in form all the time. Sometimes players tend to find their form when they are put against the top players. Think about Berdcyh and how he suddenly finds his form against Federer. sner will have to very healthy to compete against Nadal though. Often times he spends way too much energy on court but a healthy Isner can give Nadal all sorts of trouble on clay.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean May 13, 2013, 09:11 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 09:10 PM »

It's a hard one to say. No-one would have picked Soderling in 2009, when just a few weeks earlier he lost to Nadal 6-1, 6-0 in Rome. If someone other than Djokovic is going to beat him, then I think the best chances are in the early rounds. Perhaps Dimitrov if he was playing perfect tennis? But that would be a really long shot. Gulbis perhaps - he beat Berdych in R1 of Wimbledon and loves a big occasion. He's taken a set off Nadal on clay before too. Unlikely though.

I actually think Del Potro probably has the best chance of the top 8 players (bar Djokovic). He played really well against Nadal in their Davis Cup final match. But what goes against him is the fact that he's often jaded by the time he gets to the latter end of slams (he led Federer by 2 sets to 0 at the French Open last year, but faded physically after that). But if Nadal is seeded 5, then they most likely won't play each other anyway, unless Del Potro upsets one of the top 4.

As for the rest of the top 8, past form at RG has shown that Federer can't do it. Andy's movement on clay isn't good enough (would love to be proved wrong there). Ferrer and Berdych don't have the belief against Nadal. And Tsonga's probably too inconsistent.

If someone is going to beat him, then they're going to have to be consistently excellent over 3-5 sets. Any dip in form and Nadal will take advantage and turn the match around. At the moment, I see only Djokovic as having that ability, plus the belief that he can actually do it (because he has now beaten Nadal at all the clay masters).

Good post, Katie. I agree with almost everything you said.

Andy's movement is okay but he somehow feels its compromised so he doesn't feel highly confident. Nole has proved since 2011 that he can beat Nadal but before then, he was just as useless so who's going to convert into what who knows. One thing I am sure of, Nadal isn't going to win RG forever and he has already maximized his limit.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 09:13 PM »

I agree with almost everything you said.

That's as good as your ever gonna get Katie......take it.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 09:17 PM »

I'm pretty sure I could give Nadal a run for his money  Super
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 09:17 PM »

I'm pretty sure I could give Nadal a run for his money  Super

On here....like that....I am sure.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 09:18 PM »

Laundry, we should play doubles against him, my big forehand will neutralise his weaknesses easily.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 09:29 PM »

Laundry, we should play doubles against him, my big forehand will neutralise his weaknesses easily.
What 2 vs 1? And he has to play in the singles court while we get to play in the doubles court :p
You know, we might stand a chance at that. Probably not on clay still but on grass I think there could be a decent shot.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 09:38 PM »

I am fairly sure you won't even survive 2 games against Nadal.

Anyway, the point is, Isner doesn't have to be in form all the time. Sometimes players tend to find their form when they are put against the top players. Think about Berdcyh and how he suddenly finds his form against Federer. sner will have to very healthy to compete against Nadal though. Often times he spends way too much energy on court but a healthy Isner can give Nadal all sorts of trouble on clay.
I'd be lucky to get love.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »