Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG?

(Read 2059 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 09:45 PM »

I'd be lucky to get love.
x
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #31 on: May 13, 2013, 10:37 PM »

Tsonga is massively under-estimated on clay.

He's achieved as much as Andy on clay; zilch.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #32 on: May 13, 2013, 10:40 PM »

Your head has turned to MTF mush matey.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 11:14 PM »

Probably only Novak, and at a push i'd say maybe delpo also.
1. Novak - needs no explanation
2. Delpo - We saw at IW what he can do when on-song. He's a very good claycourter, and mentally would have no issues w/ beating Rafa on a big stage.

Andy's biggest problem may well be reaching Rafa, if he does I fancy he will put up a good fight maybe win a set... Andy would relish the opportunity to def the king in his adopted backyard and who knows could come up with the win.
Andys best chance of beating rafa would be in the qfs though i'm not sure he can win a final against him.

tsonga another guy who could possibly win against rafa  if he gets on a hot streak on chatrier late one evening with french crowd cheering him on,

The only player who could beat him in the finals is novak.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #34 on: May 13, 2013, 11:27 PM »

If they could change the colour to green, I'd say Rosol might be in with a decent shout.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 12:07 AM »

Andy has gone one step further than Tsonga at the FO.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 12:12 AM »

Because he never plays any small clay tournaments. Hence he only plays Masters and Slams, where the top 4 dominate. Hence no clay titles.

Still a very solid clay player. People seem to think he's useless on this surface. Useless players don't have multiple match points against Djokovic in a grand slam.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 12:12 AM »

Andy has gone one step further than Tsonga at the FO.
Because of his seeding and an insanely lucky draw. Tsonga would have gone just as far.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 12:14 AM »

That we don't know. All we know Andy has done better than Tsonga so far.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #39 on: May 14, 2013, 06:16 PM »

I can honestly only see Djokovic beating him, and more to the point I think he will. In a way, and with all due respect for everyone else, especially Andy, I don't think it would be a bad thing if Djokovic did. At least it would get all the thing about Djokovic and the career slam out of the way, and it might put the brakes on all the OTT Nadal adoration going on in the game just now.

As much as I'd love it to death I don't see Andy beating a fit Nadal on clay, not this year. I do, however, think that if Andy's best form was to click in on the clay he could make life awkward, more awkward than some might think. I can sort of see that Andy's respect for Rafa might have been an issue before, but I don't see it standing in his way now. The Andy of now is not the same as before Nadal's sabbatical.

Delpo could be another who could make life awkward, he might push Nadal around a bit. I just think he'd need a couple of easy rounds beforehand, otherwise Nadal would probably wear him down.

I don't see Ferrer doing it, not in a major. I think in his case respect really would stand in the way. Berdych might have a go, he might even push a bit, but then he'd throw his rattle out of the pram and that would be his lot.

The one big question over Nadal for the FO this year is whether he can go through 7 best of five matches in order to win. The thing is though, that doesn't just apply to the FO. To state the obvious, he hasn't played a major since Wimbledon last year, and that didn't last long. In a way the FO will test how fit he is, because the best of five format is totally different to best of three, physically and mentally. If Nadal was to get tired (unlikely I know, but indulge me lol) he might come unstuck against someone who might not otherwise get through him. I don't really see it on the clay, but it is a thought. I suspect an 'upset' would probably be more likely at Wimbledon or the USO.

For me the more pertinent question is whether Andy could get through Federer on clay, but I guess that's another topic entirely.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #40 on: May 14, 2013, 08:05 PM »

It will definitely be interesting to see how Nadal's stamina would stand up if he were to meet Murray or Djokovic in a best of 5. Of course Murray would need to take at least a set for it to be any different to a Masters match.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #41 on: May 14, 2013, 09:05 PM »

Would you fancy a Nadal/Murray qtr at RG?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #42 on: May 14, 2013, 09:14 PM »

I don't know. I'd rather Andy test himself against Nadal than lose to someone like Del Potro or Berdych. I have a feeling he'd raise his game against Nadal as well.

But then again, the H2H..
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #43 on: May 14, 2013, 09:17 PM »

I used to worry about the H2H against Nadal but then I realized one thing, it doesn't matter because Nadal hit his prime 5 years earlier than Andy and clay is always Andy's weakest surface, so given all that I don't think the H2H will ever matter.

I apply the same logic when it comes to Federer. But when it comes to Nole, I want to see the H2H in Andy's favour since they are pretty much from the same time.

I will welcome a qtr final against Nadal at RG.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Who can Realistically beat Nadal at RG? « Reply #44 on: May 14, 2013, 09:27 PM »

Would you fancy a Nadal/Murray qtr at RG?

Not really as i want Andy to go as far as possible, and if he met rafa in qfs theres a 90% chance Andy goes no further.

But Rafa more vulnerable to a loss at the QF stage, he'll have not played enough high quality opponents  to be playing his best and if Andy were to come out firing and put him under pressure, Andy would have a decent chance.

But yeh I'd rather Novak takes Rafa out in semis in 5 sets circa 5 hours, and Andy  plays tired Novak in final Very Happy ( one can dream hey!)
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »