Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Wimbledon 2010 - Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 82 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon 2010 - Other Players

(Read 9455 times)
Daisy
John McEnroe

Wimbledon 2010 - Other Players « on: June 16, 2010, 12:39 PM »

http://aeltc2010.wimbledon.org/en_GB/pdf/2010_seeds.pdf

I can (sometimes) agree with the All-England seeding committees' decision to base the seedings on grass pedigree, but when the world no1 mens player who has been in the final on the last 3 occasions he has played and won one of those finals, does that not justify the right to be the top seed based on previous performances at the championships? Don't get me wrong, it probably helps Rafa in a way with the likes of Soderling lurking, but smacks a little of favouratism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A70220288
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Wimbledon 2010 - Other Players « Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 12:49 PM »

Gentlemen's singles withdrawal list

Sunday, 16 May 2010
DEL POTRO, Juan Martin (ARG) (5) X Due to wrist injury
Monday, 17 May 2010
HAAS, Tommy (USA) (20) X Due to hip injury
Thursday, 03 Jun 2010
GONZALEZ, Fernando (CHI) (14) X Knee Injury
Thursday, 10 Jun 2010
MONACO, Juan (ARG) (27) X Wrist injury
Q
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Wimbledon 2010 - Other Players « Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 12:58 PM »

A propos of nothing, I just discovered that Simon Reed, the Eurosport commentator, is the brother of the late hellraising actor, Oliver Reed. That could be the most bizarre thing I've heard since somebody told me Barry Chuckle wrote songs for Whitney Houston.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Wimbledon 2010 - Other Players « Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 01:00 PM »

A propos of nothing, I just discovered that Simon Reed, the Eurosport commentator, is the brother of the late hellraising actor, Oliver Reed. That could be the most bizarre thing I've heard since somebody told me Barry Chuckle wrote songs for Whitney Houston.

Never in a million years Nigel  shocking.... how did you turn that little choice morsel up?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2010 - Other Players « Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 01:04 PM »

Never in a million years Nigel  shocking.... how did you turn that little choice morsel up?

What, you mean you didn't know about Barry Chuckle and Whitney?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2010 - Other Players « Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 01:05 PM »

I am loving those comments on 606 about Federer entering the court riding an RF-monogrammed unicorn with full orchestra and choir.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2010 - Other Players « Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 01:13 PM »

Interview from 1981:

http://www.oliverreed.net/Press/press1980_19.html
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Wimbledon 2010 - Other Players « Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 01:22 PM »

What, you mean you didn't know about Barry Chuckle and Whitney?

That too .... lol
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Wimbledon 2010 - Other Players « Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 01:27 PM »

I was enjoying this article till I came to ....

"Who knows... people may even one day refer to Oliver as the elder brother of Simon Reed! Oliver? Well, he's always lived dangerously. It worries me. I've always said he'd kill himself one day... "

That type of remark is very scary ....
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Wimbledon 2010 - Other Players « Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 01:37 PM »

Some Oliver Reed tidbits:

He died of a heart attack in a bar after downing three bottles of Captain Morgan's Jamaica rum, eight bottles of German beer, numerous doubles of Famous Grouse whiskey and Hennessy cognac, and beating five much younger Royal Navy sailors at arm-wrestling. His bar bill for that final lunch time totaled 270 Maltese lira, almost £450.

He was severely injured and almost died during the filming of The Three Musketeers (1973) when he was stabbed in the throat during the windmill duel scene.

In 1973 Steve McQueen flew to England to meet Reed and discuss a possible film collaboration. "Reed showed me his country mansion and we got on well," recalled McQueen. "He then suggested he take me to his favorite London nightclub." The drinking, which started at Reed's home, Broome Hall, continued into the night until Reed could hardly stand. Suddenly, and with no apparent warning, he vomited over McQueen's shirt and trousers. "The staff rushed around and found me some new clothes, but they couldn't get me any shoes," said McQueen. "I had to spend the rest of the night smelling of Oliver Reed's sick."
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Wimbledon 2010 - Other Players « Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 05:27 PM »

Some Oliver Reed tidbits:

He died of a heart attack in a bar after downing three bottles of Captain Morgan's Jamaica rum, eight bottles of German beer, numerous doubles of Famous Grouse whiskey and Hennessy cognac, and beating five much younger Royal Navy sailors at arm-wrestling. His bar bill for that final lunch time totaled 270 Maltese lira, almost £450.

He was severely injured and almost died during the filming of The Three Musketeers (1973) when he was stabbed in the throat during the windmill duel scene.

In 1973 Steve McQueen flew to England to meet Reed and discuss a possible film collaboration. "Reed showed me his country mansion and we got on well," recalled McQueen. "He then suggested he take me to his favorite London nightclub." The drinking, which started at Reed's home, Broome Hall, continued into the night until Reed could hardly stand. Suddenly, and with no apparent warning, he vomited over McQueen's shirt and trousers. "The staff rushed around and found me some new clothes, but they couldn't get me any shoes," said McQueen. "I had to spend the rest of the night smelling of Oliver Reed's sick."

Such a shame, isn't it.  I think he was quite young when he died .... It's hardly any wonder that his brother Simon appears to be such a "mouse" ...
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Wimbledon 2010 - Other Players « Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 05:49 PM »

Wimbledon 2010 Predictions: How the Men's Field Stacks Up

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/406986-wimbledon-2010-predictions-how-the-mens-field-stacks-up?utm_source=newsletter

Interestingly enough, this writer has Murray reaching the semis "at least" .....
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Wimbledon 2010 - Other Players « Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 06:55 PM »

Wimbledon have banned vuvuzelas. lol
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Wimbledon 2010 - Other Players « Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 07:17 PM »

clap good for them!
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon 2010 - Other Players « Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 09:08 PM »

LOL. They also have a ban against 'Heelies' or the official term, 'wheeled footwear'. Got my ticket today w00t
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 82 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »