Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Wimbledon 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 63 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon 2011

(Read 14650 times)
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #60 on: June 15, 2011, 01:15 AM »

Been reading up on the internet and people are saying arriving at 2pm the day before is too late to get centre court tickets. Wondering if someone who camped out last year can testify.  I know a few years ago you could arrive at 6pm and be fine but things seem to be a lot more popular now, some even suggesting queueing from Tuesday for Thursdays play... shocking

Depends on the day I guess, but we were there at midday on the first Wednesday last year (to get in on the Thursday) and were within the first 200 or so in the queue. 2pm should be ok, but I'd get there earlier if you can. Think
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #61 on: June 15, 2011, 01:32 AM »

Once the ladies matches had been completed for the day, the men returned to action, treating the spectators at the Bank of England Sports Centre in Roehampton to some ferocious high-stakes tennis as they vied for one of the 32 spots in the third and final round of qualifiers for The Championships, 2011.

Among the stand-out performers today were Italy's Simone Bolelli, who looked a class act during his 6-3, 6-1 defeat of Germany's Simon Stadler, and young American Ryan Harrison, who scored a convincing 6-3, 6-3 victory over Laurent Rochette.

A late start for Bernard Tomic on Court 14 did not hamper the ebullient Australian youngster as he raced to victory against Robert Farah 6-1, 6-4 in what was probably the best all-round performance today by an unseeded player. Tomic effortlessly dismantled his opponent's game on a day that Farah will try to quickly forget.

Tomas Schoorel from The Netherlands went out in a battle of the giants to another Aussie, Chris Guccione, falling 7-6(5), 6-2 after his game came apart when the umpire over-ruled a call in the first set tie-break, taking the score to 5-2 in the Australian's favour rather than 4-3. Schoorel lost his cool and the tie-break, and an early break in the second set which was enough to derail the fourth seed and send him home earlier than expected.

Oliver Golding was outmuscled by Jerzy Janowicz 7-6(3), 6-1, who made life a misery for the British teenager all afternoon as he grew in confidence after a tough first set. Spain's Roberto Bautista-Agut meanwhile brought an end to Liam Broady's hopes, conceding just three games in the process.

Ireland's Conor Niland produced one of the fight-backs of the day against Australian Greg Jones, winning 4-6, 7-5, 6-2, and will look forward to his day of rest tomorrow as he recovers from six sets (and 63 games to be precise) of competitive tennis over the past two days. The same applied to Ruben Bemelmans, who came out on top 3-6, 6-4, 16-14 against Japan's Yuichi Sugita.

The full list of the 32 men in the final round can be viewed in the draws section. All matches will be decided in five sets and will be contested on Thursday.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #62 on: June 15, 2011, 01:33 AM »

Best include the ladies too

Melanie South flew the flag for Great Britain with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Liana Ungur, but her five compatriots in the ladies' singles draw all fell at the first hurdle on the second day of qualifying.

Wild card South, who lives a stone's throw away from the Bank of England Sports Centre in New Malden, Surrey, looked at home on the grass from the start and was not in the least troubled by her opponent who, at No.168 in the world, sits 125 spots above her in the rankings. It was perhaps not surprising. Just five years ago, the Kingston-born Brit defeated Italian Francesca Schiavone at Wimbledon and once again she displayed her magic, albeit on different lawns.

The match attracted the crowds and was a tightly-contested affair until South broke for a 4-3 lead, at which point Ungur receiving treatment and emerged with industrial-strength strapping taped around her entire left thigh. The interruption did little to dent South's concentration as she promptly held serve, took the set two games later and repeated the 6-4 score-line in the second.

Her five fellow countrywomen fared less well however. Samantha Murray, Tara Moore, Francesca Stephenson, Anna Fitzpatrick, and Jade Windley all went out of the tournament in straight sets, winning a mere 16 games between them.

The biggest upset of the day came when No.2 seed Chan Yung-Jan crashed out of the tournament to Marina Erakovic. The former world No.50 had no answer to the New Zealander's game and was demolished 6-2, 6-1. No.21 seed Urszula Radwanska, the less-heralded sister of Agnieszka, fell 4-6, 3-6 at the hands of Aleksandra Wozniak, who stood at no.21 in the world this time two years ago. Iryna Bremond, Czech Renata Voracova (No.11) and Mandy Minella (No.22) were all dealt first round blows.

It was a different story for top seed Nuria Llagostera Vives, who saw off Germany's Tatjana Malek 6-3, 6-3. Third seed Arantxa Rus, who made a name for herself at the French Open where she ousted No.2 seed Kim Clijsters in the second round, looked in devastating form as she found her feet on the turf to defeat France's Olivia Sanchez 6-4, 6-4.

Caroline Garcia, another player to generate headlines in Paris when she pushed Maria Sharapova to three sets on the Roland Garros clay, also demonstrated great form during her 6-0, 7-6(6) victory over Sally Peers leaving spectators in no doubt that she is definitely one to watch in the future.

IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #63 on: June 15, 2011, 01:47 AM »

Depends on the day I guess, but we were there at midday on the first Wednesday last year (to get in on the Thursday) and were within the first 200 or so in the queue. 2pm should be ok, but I'd get there earlier if you can. Think

Cheers Joe, it's nuts you were 200th at midday! Also wanting to go for Round 2, I'm only an hour north on the tube so no problem getting there just making sure it's worthwhile! Some greedy bugger inside me is wanting Rafa and Andy in the same half. sorry   Are you going this year?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #64 on: June 16, 2011, 02:04 AM »

World number two Kim Clijsters has withdrawn from next week's Wimbledon Championships because of a foot injury.

It's been reported that Sam Querrey out too search  Yep - American Sam Querrey has withdrawn from Wimbledon with an arm injury, tournament organisers said on Wednesday.
IP Logged
MurrayRocks
Veteran

I ♥ my scottish chouchou ...

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #65 on: June 18, 2011, 05:35 PM »

Al mal tiempo...Golf en el vesturario.....Foto: @picomonaco (Twitter de Juan Mónaco)

Rafa , Feliciano Lopez  playing golf in the locker room during the rain ...
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #66 on: June 18, 2011, 06:29 PM »

Al mal tiempo...Golf en el vesturario.....Foto: @picomonaco (Twitter de Juan Mónaco)

These boys do love playing with balls! w00t
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #67 on: June 18, 2011, 09:18 PM »

Feli  fainting
IP Logged
Joely
Junior

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #68 on: June 19, 2011, 01:02 PM »

I like Boris Becker the best. Smile
IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #69 on: June 19, 2011, 08:59 PM »

This BBC program on Wimbledon does nothing for the sports image doh
IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #70 on: June 20, 2011, 11:24 AM »

Who is gonna watch which one today? I'm going to start with the Raonic-Fognini match, probably.
IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #71 on: June 20, 2011, 11:28 AM »

Doubt that's on a TV court.
IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #72 on: June 20, 2011, 11:39 AM »

Hmmm, didn't check that, you're right. Now I probably gonna wait for the Nadal match, but that one doesn't promise too much. Frown
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #73 on: June 20, 2011, 12:02 PM »

My toes are curling. The BBC really need a new copywriter for those intro scripts.
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #74 on: June 20, 2011, 12:40 PM »

My toes are curling. The BBC really need a new copywriter for those intro scripts.

Yeah very cheesy, mixed metaphors all over the place...poetry it isn't!

On another note...what on earth is Venus wearing????

IT IS PURE MINGIN!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 63 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »