Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Wimbledon 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon 2011

(Read 15263 times)
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #885 on: July 05, 2011, 06:26 PM »

Julia is as bitter as me following an Old Firm defeat, I love it. Very Happy

What Old Firm defeat? And what's it to do with the discussion in hand?
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #886 on: July 05, 2011, 06:27 PM »

Scotland yes ... I had been thinking along the lines of his home town.  Not the capital necessarily.  

I'm sure there would be huge celebrations there as well. Let's hope he wins one soon and we can all find out for sure.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #887 on: July 05, 2011, 06:28 PM »

Djokovic played better today Shrug Well done to him. but just wanted to give Rafa a big hug hug Nice speeches from both but my loyalty still lies with the sweetheart from Spain tender

Do you mean Andy from Barcelona?
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #888 on: July 05, 2011, 06:39 PM »

You reckon?  I'm not so sure.  That sort of response seems to be reserved for football clubs in this country.

He most certainly would. Alex Salmond would milk it!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #889 on: July 06, 2011, 01:47 AM »

Why do you think? He's Scottish and Edinburgh is our capital city. Didn't you see the celebrations we had when Sir Chris Hoy and the other Scottish athletes came back from the Olympics in China.  Also, Alex Salmond has already said that there will be a celebration in Edinburgh when Andy wins a slam.

I would hope there would also be a celebration in London.
I'm not at all optimistic about London (I'm not even convinced they'd have done it for Henman either, given the general lack of interest in the sport), and the celebrations you refer to were for our Olympic champions, so whether they'd do the same thing for a tennis player is also doubtful for the same reason that I stated re London, despite Alex Salmond's promise; but one thing's for sure, they'll probably be celebrating for a week in Dunblane!

He most certainly would. Alex Salmond would milk it!
Definitely - and true to form he would somehow manage to extol the triumph as yet another reason why Scotland should be independent. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #890 on: July 06, 2011, 08:08 AM »

I
Definitely - and true to form he would somehow manage to extol the triumph as yet another reason why Scotland should be independent. Rolling Eyes

If only the Scottish independence issue were to be opened to ALL native born Scots wherever domiciled, the proposal would be overwhelmingly defeated. Salmond would then be finally put in his place.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #891 on: July 06, 2011, 08:20 AM »

Not previously having the time to watch the Djokovic / Nadal final, last night I succeeded in doing so.

As much of the comments came from Castle, I used the mute button as much as possible, as I had no wish to suffer his inter-round comments.

Listening to Castle's assinine comments, made me long for the late greats Dan Maskell and Bill MacLaren.

All sports commentators should listen and absorb the correct way to advise viewers. Don't state the obvious, for the sake of being heard, but let the viewers understand themselves what is going on. Maskell and MacLaren were in a different class from today's commentators in every sport.   
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #892 on: July 06, 2011, 08:22 AM »

If only the Scottish independence issue were to be opened to ALL native born Scots wherever domiciled

That would never fly and is surely unrealistic, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying?
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #893 on: July 06, 2011, 08:24 AM »

That would never fly and is surely unrealistic, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying?

Just wishful thinking, Daisy
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #894 on: July 06, 2011, 08:26 AM »

Just wishful thinking, Daisy

Ahhhh   hug  It's a great bit of wishful thinking though Smile
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #895 on: July 06, 2011, 04:27 PM »

Blair and virtually the whole of his cabinet were Scottish...I rest my case...Wink
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #896 on: July 07, 2011, 03:38 AM »

If only the Scottish independence issue were to be opened to ALL native born Scots wherever domiciled, the proposal would be overwhelmingly defeated. Salmond would then be finally put in his place.
I think it should be open to all native-born Scots.  And I see the English are claiming they want a say in the matter, not to mention that the Boy David is insisting he'll fight tooth and nail to oppose the break-up of the union.  He's got no right whatsoever to interfere in Scottish politics.  Anyway Salmond's on a high road to nowhere with this issue, because the majority of Scots don't want independence, myself included, just more powers for the Scottish Parliament.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #897 on: July 07, 2011, 07:52 AM »

just more powers for the Scottish Parliament.

Provided that the so called additional powers will not be abused. Unfortunately, I can not trust Salmond in control of anything.

PS. I notice that you are back to ridiculous posting times
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #898 on: July 07, 2011, 07:59 AM »

Not previously having the time to watch the Djokovic / Nadal final, last night I succeeded in doing so.

As much of the comments came from Castle, I used the mute button as much as possible, as I had no wish to suffer his inter-round comments.

Listening to Castle's assinine comments, made me long for the late greats Dan Maskell and Bill MacLaren.

All sports commentators should listen and absorb the correct way to advise viewers. Don't state the obvious, for the sake of being heard, but let the viewers understand themselves what is going on. Maskell and MacLaren were in a different class from today's commentators in every sport.   

Was Maskell that good, OSS? He rarely spoke, and when he did he only ever said 'Oh, I say, that's a peach of a volley'.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #899 on: July 07, 2011, 08:05 AM »

Was Maskell that good, OSS? He rarely spoke, and when he did he only ever said 'Oh, I say, that's a peach of a volley'.

And that's what made a good commentator. He allowed the viewers to see and appreciate for themselves the skills of the players. Too many comments as per Castle only serves to infuriate the viewer.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »