Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Wimbledon 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon 2011

(Read 15091 times)
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #900 on: July 07, 2011, 01:17 PM »

For anyone wishing to continue the discussion about Scottish Politics please refer to this thread: http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/chit-chat/t14531/
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #901 on: July 07, 2011, 02:01 PM »

And that's what made a good commentator. He allowed the viewers to see and appreciate for themselves the skills of the players. Too many comments as per Castle only serves to infuriate the viewer.

But he wasn't really adding anything, was he?
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #902 on: July 07, 2011, 02:26 PM »

But he wasn't really adding anything, was he?

Which would rather prefer: a Maskell-type or a Castle-type? The latter being a pretentious know-it-all or the former being a ooh-didn't-he-do-well. I know which I prefer.

However, I note that you did not make any comment re the late great Bill MacLaren. Any comments?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #903 on: July 08, 2011, 02:32 AM »

Provided that the so called additional powers will not be abused. Unfortunately, I can not trust Salmond in control of anything.

PS. I notice that you are back to ridiculous posting times
I told you I did have a daytime existence, but that doesn't stop me from staying up till 3 am most nights!

Re Bill McLaren - he was the best commentator I've ever heard.  Knowledgeable, witty and totally unbiased, he made rugby come to life.  Internationals became boring after he retired.
IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #904 on: July 08, 2011, 11:51 AM »

I get the impression that Castle's brief is to educate the masses.  The BBC sports editor appears to believe that the vast majority of viewers know next to nothing about tennis and so we all have to be treated like complete idiots.  Castle stumbles his way through an embarrassingly inept tutorial in the very basic rules of how the sport operates, explaining rudimentary principles during every match.  I guess his efforts are forgiveable in the early stages of Wimbledon fortnight as there will be newcomers who will benefit but to still have him whittering away pompously, patronisingly and repetitiously towards the end of the tournament is downright irritating and unprofessional.   
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #905 on: July 08, 2011, 12:12 PM »

Which would rather prefer: a Maskell-type or a Castle-type? The latter being a pretentious know-it-all or the former being a ooh-didn't-he-do-well. I know which I prefer.

However, I note that you did not make any comment re the late great Bill MacLaren. Any comments?

I don't recall him too well. Sorry.

Clementine makes a great point about Castle. I've said on here several times that he goes to great lengths to explain the basics - talking about the four grand slams, explaining the strengths and form of the players and even talking us through the rules of the tiebreak.

He knows that Brits aren't avid tennis fans, so he inducts them gently. It's probably part of his remit. While I'm not a fan of the guy, I don't actually dislike his commentary and just think he's a bit restricted by his job description.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #906 on: July 08, 2011, 05:18 PM »

But Castle says the same thing over and over again, frequently in the same match and quite often is wrong shocking
Are u really saying the BBC is paying him to be an oily git? I demand my license fee back, if that's the case Whistle
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #907 on: July 08, 2011, 10:01 PM »

He knows that Brits aren't avid tennis fans, so he inducts them gently.
I've always thought he did it to cater for the lack of knowledge of the typical viewer. yes
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #908 on: July 08, 2011, 10:10 PM »

I've always thought he did it to cater for the lack of knowledge of the typical viewer. yes

Yeah, which is good for the 2 week fans but annoying for everyone else Smile

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #909 on: July 09, 2011, 03:35 AM »

I don't recall him [Bill McLaren] too well. Sorry.

Clementine makes a great point about Castle. I've said on here several times that he goes to great lengths to explain the basics - talking about the four grand slams, explaining the strengths and form of the players and even talking us through the rules of the tiebreak.

He knows that Brits aren't avid tennis fans, so he inducts them gently. It's probably part of his remit. While I'm not a fan of the guy, I don't actually dislike his commentary and just think he's a bit restricted by his job description.
Hardly surprising since McLaren only commentated on Rugby Union.

My favourite Wimbledon commentator is Henman.  Like Castle he doesn't assume that everyone watching knows all the ins and outs of the sport (and if more knowledgeable tennis fans don't like, then press 'mute') but he strikes me as being fair and unbiased, something I don't think Castle always is.  Also Henman has actually been as high as No.4 and did manage to stay in the top ten for quite a while, yet there is an air of humility about him, something else Castle seems to lack.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #910 on: July 09, 2011, 09:55 AM »

But Castle says the same thing over and over again, frequently in the same match and quite often is wrong shocking
Are u really saying the BBC is paying him to be an oily git? I demand my license fee back, if that's the case Whistle

He'll always be an oily, unctious git, and a bottom-fondler (see YouTube clip). When he stands up, there's a team of gripper boys that comes on to wipe away the slime from the chair using industrial-strength Cillit Bang. It's like the floor sweepers who follow you around at Zurich station.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #911 on: July 10, 2011, 03:09 AM »

He'll always be an oily, unctious git, and a bottom-fondler (see YouTube clip). When he stands up, there's a team of gripper boys that comes on to wipe away the slime from the chair using industrial-strength Cillit Bang. It's like the floor sweepers who follow you around at Zurich station.
Oooh Nigel! lol
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #912 on: July 12, 2011, 12:57 PM »

Hardly surprising since McLaren only commentated on Rugby Union.

My favourite Wimbledon commentator is Henman.  Like Castle he doesn't assume that everyone watching knows all the ins and outs of the sport (and if more knowledgeable tennis fans don't like, then press 'mute') but he strikes me as being fair and unbiased, something I don't think Castle always is.  Also Henman has actually been as high as No.4 and did manage to stay in the top ten for quite a while, yet there is an air of humility about him, something else Castle seems to lack.
Yes, Tim Henman's my favourite too! As well as being knowledgable and fair, he strikes me as being a thoroughly nice guy!
IP Logged
nthornbury

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #913 on: August 24, 2011, 12:24 PM »

I was thinking about those boys the other day Aileen.I saw some aussie's cheering for  Hewitt and wondered if it were the same guys.Love to see them on monday.From what i read on here andy's gonna need all the help he can get.i will watch from behind my sofa
Hey guys im the N and i can gaurantee you that we were not cheering for LLeyton Hewitt even though we like him Andy is our boy!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Wimbledon 2011 « Reply #914 on: August 24, 2011, 01:12 PM »

Hey guys im the N and i can gaurantee you that we were not cheering for LLeyton Hewitt even though we like him Andy is our boy!
Lovely to hear from you! Hope you are all well! hug
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »