Murray pulls out of Toronto

By for on
Andy Murray has withdrawn from the Rogers Cup prior to his match against Milos Raonic, citing a left knee injury.

The 25 year old had just two days to recover from his Olympic victory and travel to Toronto, whilst also having to adjust to a new surface.

Murray had to call the trainer on after the first set during the 6-1, 6-3 win over Flavio Cipolla due to the injury, and has now decided not to risk doing further damage.

Murray comments on withdrawal:
I decided this morning. It was a bit sore yesterday. I came in today, saw the physios, they did some work on it, and it's still a bit sore.

I did a little warmup on the bike to try it out and it was still sore. I had to make a decision as to what I was going to do.

I spoke with the guys and decided the best thing was to rest and try and make sure I can actually let my body kind of adjust to the surface.

I'll be able to get as much treatment as possible. I wasn't able to to do anything to adjust to the surface (from Olympic grass) and get used to the movement at all.

I'll be able to do that and give it a few days and see how it feels.

The hard courts, for me anyway, are the hardest on my body. It always takes me a bit of time to get used to playing on them again. I hope it doesn't affect the next few weeks too much.

Now I have to take a couple days off without playing, so this (injury) may have set me back slightly.

The world number four will now hope he is fit to defend his Cincinnati title next week.
Wise decision.  Hopefully he will be fully fit when Cincy/ US open  comes around. 
August 09, 2012, 09:25 PM
By backhandslice

With the USO looming, it is a great decision to rest the body and gives it time to recharge. Actually Andy should not even have played in the first place.
August 09, 2012, 09:30 PM
By Philip

Glad that he now has a few days to rest/recover and adjust to the surface for Cincy Smile
August 09, 2012, 09:30 PM
By Hazybear

One report says there are doubts over Cincy and USO
August 09, 2012, 09:32 PM
By Tessie

^ No I hope not.  Frown I don't think it's that serious.
August 09, 2012, 09:37 PM
By janetx

One report says there are doubts over Cincy and USO

What? What?  shocking
Glad he's withdrawn and sorry he decided to play because this seems to have exacerbated the problem. nervous
Get plenty of rest Andy and get better soon Fingers crossed
August 09, 2012, 09:38 PM
By blueberryhill

One report says there are doubts over Cincy and USO
Speculation. I wouldn't worry, it was a surprise to even see him play here. I'd rather him pull out now than tank the match against Raonic to be honest.

He's picked up an extra 80 ranking points to add to the 750 won in London, meaning reaching the Quarters next week would be enough to cover the points he'll lose from Cinci (although naturally we'd like to see him do better), which is vital with Ferrer not far behind.
August 09, 2012, 09:41 PM
By TheMadHatter

One report says there are doubts over Cincy and USO

I hope that is the press being dramatic. Andy didn't seem over concerned yesterday, and so whilst I know things can change, I don't think we need to worry until we have to.
August 09, 2012, 09:43 PM
By teejay1

I am quite confident that Andy will play Cincy and the US Open
August 09, 2012, 09:45 PM
By backhandslice

Wise move on Andy's part - time to get some rest and adjust to the surface.  To be honest I never did think he would play this week and next week - it just didn't make any sense.  The weather was probably an added incentive to withdraw - if the rain continues there is a real likelihood of two matches in one day or the final being held over.
August 09, 2012, 09:49 PM
By Alis

add comment | 66 comments