MurraysWorld  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at National Bank Open, Montreal
Pages: [1] 2 Reply

Andy at National Bank Open, Montreal

Andy has been offered a wild card into the main draw, which takes place today at 4 pm local time, 9 pm BST.  The tournament runs from 8 - 14 August.

The National Bank Open presented by Rogers is a prestigious professional tennis tournament owned and operated by Tennis Canada.  Founded in 1881 for the men and 1892 for the women, only Wimbledon and the US Open have longer histories than this major Canadian stop, which is acknowledged by the tennis world to be one of the best-run tournaments on the professional circuit.  Montreal and Toronto share the task of hosting the event with both tournaments being played at the same time during the same week, which means that this year the men play in Montreal and the women in Toronto.

Andy is a three-time winner of the tournament, claiming victory in 2009 (def. Federer), 2010 (def. del Potro) and 2015 (def. Djokovic).

* nationalbankopen-montreal.jpg (504.93 KB. 1365x768 - viewed 1126 times.)

[ Last edit by Aileen August 05, 2022, 07:41 pm ] IP Logged

Thanks for the intro.
I have a general question: When does a player not have to resort to wild cards to enter a tournament? I thought being top 50 gives you a certain guarantee in a Masters.
IP Logged

Thanks for the intro.
I have a general question: When does a player not have to resort to wild cards to enter a tournament? I thought being top 50 gives you a certain guarantee in a Masters.
I thought that too, but apparently it doesn't apply to Montreal.  The closing date for entries was 14 July, but even going by that Andy should have qualified.  Hopefully somebody who knows more about the workings of tournaments will provide an explanation.
IP Logged

Andy plays the No. 10 seed Taylor Fritz in round 1, and if he gets to round 2 the winner of Frances Tiafoe and Benjamin Bonzi, while the No. 5 seed Andrey Rublev could await in round 3, followed by the No. 2 seed Carlos Alcaraz in the QF.

Full draw: https://www.atptour.com/en/scores/current/montreal/421/draws
IP Logged

Thanks for the intro Aileen, shame Andy has has to depends on wildcards.
IP Logged

^  It is all the result of Andy not having a fixed schedule for his tennis. He should not need wildcards from now on as he is camped in the top fifty. He just needs to enter in time. It is not all about fitness.  I think that he just does not know how he should balance his life between work (tennis) and family as he no longer needs the former to provide for his family. He is now like a retired person playing a few games for fun. That sounds perfect to me. If we can enjoy watching his special skills at the same time even better for us. How long he dabbles with playing like this I cannot predict.

I think that if he extends his usual tournament participation to three matches won then we can expect a lot more tennis participation from him. I doubt if it will happen in Montreal as he has his usual not too helpful draw. I am hopeful though for him extending his career.  

Better stick to Montreal. He has a good chance to beat Fritz.
IP Logged

^ My only hope when it comes to beating Fritz is that he's not very good at dealing with weather conditions which are very hot and humid, and in fact had to retire at 1-4 down in the third set against Dan Evans in Washington due to heat exhaustion.  He lost the second set tiebreak and it was all downhill after that.  He had the same problem in the first round in Toronto last year against James Duckworth but carried on playing, then lost the match. 

PS - Thanks for explaining the wild card situation here.
IP Logged

^ You are right Aileen, Andy has been shown to have a problem with the heat which is very evident this year. In his latest first round defeat he was really struggling.
Is it as hot in Montreal?  I was there once and it was then very comfortable in the summer.
IP Logged

^ According to Accuweather, which is usually quite good, there is a heat warning out for this weekend followed by much cooler weather.  Anyway you can see it here - https://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/montreal/h3a/daily-weather-forecast/56186
IP Logged

I see that Andy's match is to be covered on Amazon Prime which is good for those, like me, with that option.
IP Logged

I see that Andy's match is to be covered on Amazon Prime which is good for those, like me, with that option.
Amazon cover all the tournaments with the exception of most of the 250s.
IP Logged

^  It is all the result of Andy not having a fixed schedule for his tennis. He should not need wildcards from now on as he is camped in the top fifty. He just needs to enter in time. It is not all about fitness.  I think that he just does not know how he should balance his life between work (tennis) and family as he no longer needs the former to provide for his family. He is now like a retired person playing a few games for fun. That sounds perfect to me. If we can enjoy watching his special skills at the same time even better for us. How long he dabbles with playing like this I cannot predict.

Better stick to Montreal. He has a good chance to beat Fritz.

Thanks marathonarthur, I need to keep that all in mind. I'm just happy to see his magic on court , which he still has and still makes my heart pound and stomach churn.

IP Logged
ATS

Trying to get my head back into tennis.  I'll catch this one!
IP Logged

Thanks very much for the updates
the newspapers don’t seem to be reporting .
I love seeing Murray on the court and I believe
he will get more wins even a GS !
IP Logged

The match is scheduled for tomorrow at a time to be declared.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Reply