MurraysWorld  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at Roland Garros
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10 Reply

Andy at Roland Garros

I've not had much Internet for the last few days... Federer has withdrawn???

Federer withdrew yesterday due to his back issues, Monfils withdrew this morning having been hospitalised with a viral infection.
IP Logged

Andy's potential path through the draw.

R1 - Qualifier
R2 - Bourgue/Qualifier
R3 - Karlovic
R4 - Isner
QF - Nishikori
SF - Wawrinka/Raonic
F - Djokovic/Nadal

Other than drawing the hardest possible QF opponent that isn't a bad draw, first week looks straightforward. Kei didn't do too well at RG last year despite a good run at Barcelona, Madrid and Rome, but he has the potential to make that QF a long match, even if I think Andy's variety should get him through it in the end.
[ Last edit by amongsttheleaves May 20, 2016, 11:35 AM ] IP Logged

Andy's potential path through the draw.

R1 - Qualifier
R2 - Bourgue/Qualifier
R3 - Karlovic
R4 - Isner
QF - Nishikori
SF - Wawrinka/Raonic
F - Djokovic/Nadal
   Not too shabby.
IP Logged

Andy's got a relatively tough draw, 2 servebots in Karlovic and Isner, then an in form Nishikori and last years winner, crikey. Compare it to Novak's draw and cry 
IP Logged

Andy's got a relatively tough draw, 2 servebots in Karlovic and Isner, then an in form Nishikori and last years winner, crikey. Compare it to Novak's draw and cry 
Andy always does well against the servebots and has beaten Nishikori on the clay, so he can come through.
IP Logged
Joe

I'm not too worried. The important thing was to miss Nadal. He has the beating of anyone up until the final - I'm not sure Wawrinka will even make the semis. Nishi is a tough one in the QF but across 5 sets I would back Andy.
IP Logged

Andy's got a relatively tough draw, 2 servebots in Karlovic and Isner

You're complaining about the servebots being in the draw of the best returner on clay right now?! Ok then...

Both Dr Ivo and Isner have been struggling with knee injuries this year.

They may well have a chance of nicking a set off Andy, but neither have faced him on clay, both have faced him on medium/medium fast hard and Dr Ivo has faced him on grass, but on the slower hard surfaces Isner has never won a set off Andy.
IP Logged

You're complaining about the servebots being in the draw of the best returner on clay right now?! Ok then...

Both Dr Ivo and Isner have been struggling with knee injuries this year.

They may well have a chance of nicking a set off Andy, but neither have faced him on clay, both have faced him on medium/medium fast hard and Dr Ivo has faced him on grass, but on the slower hard surfaces Isner has never won a set off Andy.

I don't appreciate passive aggressive repsonses to my opinions thanks. Furthermore, Isner has played well on clay before and beaten top players on the surface, and 2 servebots in succession (if Andy does meet both) is not exactly ideal preparation for playing Nishikori. I'm well aware that draws can play out differently to what's on paper from the start, and i hope Isner gets knocked out early.
IP Logged

It's there under Live Now rather than tennis, db.

Thanks, guys.  I got a stream in the end but as I could only listen it was a bit of a waste of time, it being in French and very much a visual thing.  Smile
IP Logged

Who is Bourgue? Never heard of him. So great to see Janko Tipsarevic back in a slam although he has a tough start against Kukushkin. Dimitrov isn't even seeded! That guy is a mess.
IP Logged

Fine till the quarters, I hope  Fingers crossed
And  no Rafa!  yay
Will wait worrying about Stan until I've seen him play. Tho. have horrid sneaking feeling he saves himself for slams  Think
IP Logged

Not too shabby, methinks.
IP Logged

Fine till the quarters, I hope  Fingers crossed
And  no Rafa!  yay
Will wait worrying about Stan until I've seen him play. Tho. have horrid sneaking feeling he saves himself for slams  Think

Stan's got his eye on Wimbledon this year!

But you are right BBH that he does tend to perform much better at the slams than the Masters. But even with the virus he had in Melbourne he never seemed completely into the AO this year. Maybe he's looking at peaking in Paris again...

Andy's never taken a set off Stan on clay. But a little over a year ago Andy had beaten just one top ten player on clay. Since then he's beaten guys he lost to on clay like Raonic and Ferrer, and beaten Rafa and Novak in straight-sets in Master's finals on clay. First time for everything and all that.

Who is Bourgue?

Mathias Bourgue - ranked 165 - he's one of the French wildcard entrants. Depending on which qualifiers land where I'd expect Andy to face another qualifier in R2 to be honest.
[ Last edit by amongsttheleaves May 20, 2016, 01:00 PM ] IP Logged

I think an indication that it is a pretty good draw for Andy comes from the bookmakers.

Andy moved up to second favourite, now ahead of Nadal.
IP Logged

Would love Andy to win this! Sending only positive vibes. cmonandy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10 Reply