MurraysWorld  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the Australian Open 2017
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8 Reply

Andy at the Australian Open 2017

I've started an AO 2017 thread - any chance that draw discussions could be moved there, so that they are all in one place?

Mod NoticeDone.
[ Last edit by Mark January 13, 2017, 12:01 PM ] IP Logged

Thanks for that atl. This could be one of the most interesting AOs for years I feel with winds of change whistling through both the men's and women's games.
IP Logged

Thanks Mark.

If you have a chance to move the posts, I think there was a draw discussion on the ranking thread as well.

Mod NoticeDone. Some of the replies look a bit out of sync now as they were immediately following each other in the original thread but in time order here. Can everyone use the Quote function when replying?
[ Last edit by Joe January 13, 2017, 12:18 PM ] IP Logged
Joe

As for the draw - not too bad IMO. I'd rather that Federer had not been in his half as we could do without the razzmatazz, but it would be a QF match and Federer has to likely get through Berdych and Nishi first.

I trust Andy to handle this well enough and get to the final.
IP Logged

Please do not think ahead.  Lets just take each match as it comes.  Fed may not even get there although determined he will be.

Andy will get to the FINal.
IP Logged

Seriously how is Fed going to be a threat given how little he's played? If he reaches the quarters it will be a minor miracle and I'd much rather Andy played Fed than say The Nish. For Fed this season is all about getting fit, and getting his ranking up, for Wimbledon which will be the last chance of him winning another Slam.

IP Logged

The reason this is such a good draw for Andy is the 1st four rounds look like straight set wins to me. He could have had Grigor or Rafa in R16 for example. Instead he's got Pouille.
IP Logged

Looks like a pretty balanced draw to me. Novak's got a more difficult draw up to the quarters while Andy's drawn the toughest QF opponent (Nishikori).

On Andy's AO form in the last few years, he should get to the final again. Let's hope 2017 will be his year!
IP Logged

The Nish can't beat Andy in and outdoors match. It's a straight sets win for Andy.
IP Logged

The Nish can't beat Andy in and outdoors match. It's a straight sets win for Andy.

I think it's a matchup where Nishikori's chances depend on how well Andy's playing. If he's serving poorly and playing too passively, then I think Nishikori's improved enough to take him out, indoors or outdoors. I imagine he'll score a few more wins when Andy starts to decline.
IP Logged

This is what I thought at the USO as well and was proved wrong. Still a long way to go until a potential Andy-Kei match.
IP Logged

Seriously how is Fed going to be a threat given how little he's played?

Because true greats can pull out top performances even when it looks unlikely. Think of a nearly forgotten McEnroe (seed 28th) beating reigning champ Becker in the AO 4th round in 92
IP Logged

This is what I thought at the USO as well and was proved wrong. Still a long way to go until a potential Andy-Kei match.

Didn't you notice it was a cake-walk for Andy until they closed the roof? Then it all went pear-shaped rather quickly. I tell you Andy is not very good on an indoor court. Apart, that is, from winning the Paris Masters and the WTF,
IP Logged

Monday schedule out - Fed given 'top billing'. Rolling Eyes

* tmp_11959-IMG_20170114_193704-451472492.jpg (161.06 KB, 1009x1614 - viewed 128 times.)
IP Logged

Fed might do Andy a big favour taking out Nish. Overall it's a good draw because he's skipped Raonic and Nadal, and also Goffin as well.

Novak has got a good draw for him as well though, I think both will be very happy.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8 Reply