MurraysWorld  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the Australian Open 2017
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 Reply

Andy at the Australian Open 2017

dex

Dimitrov played very well, but will that loss be positive or negative to his immediate future??
IP Logged

Dimitrov played very well, but will that loss be positive or negative to his immediate future??
This Eurosport article with Dimi's own comments should give you a clue -

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/tennis/dimitrov-falls-just-short-but-departs-with-head-held-high_sto6037258/story.shtml

IP Logged

What's the reason for this thread being made a sticky?
IP Logged
dex

So Roger Federer won the Aussie Open and Rafa done himself proud also. I'm a Murray fan and a Scot who comes from the same part of the country as Andy, but I have to admit that Andy is not quite in the same league as the two aforementioned. They are probably top two ever, with Nole top five. I'd put Andy top 15, which is very good, but he must win more slams to be considered any higher. At least one more to put him on four like Jim Courier, around six puts him up there with Becker, and Edberg and they are thought of as amongst the 'greats'.
IP Logged

What's the reason for this thread being made a sticky?
I wondered why too, but Mark's the person to ask.

So Roger Federer won the Aussie Open and Rafa done himself proud also. I'm a Murray fan and a Scot who comes from the same part of the country as Andy, but I have to admit that Andy is not quite in the same league as the two aforementioned. They are probably top two ever, with Nole top five. I'd put Andy top 15, which is very good, but he must win more slams to be considered any higher. At least one more to put him on four like Jim Courier, around six puts him up there with Becker, and Edberg and they are thought of as amongst the 'greats'.
That all depends on what 'greats' means.  There have been some extremely good players who have never won a Slam, while Andy has achieved what nobody else has - two Olympic singles' golds and guiding this country to it's first DC win for decades.
IP Logged

I wondered why too, but Mark's the person to ask.
That all depends on what 'greats' means.  There have been some extremely good players who have never won a Slam, while Andy has achieved what nobody else has - two Olympic singles' golds and guiding this country to it's first DC win for decades.
I would agree. Do we look just at slams? That being the case then Stan is equal with Andy. However look at Stans record in the other events and it is ropey to say the least with only 1 masters series title at Monte Carlo. (Ps Stan to be fair admitted this himself). I rate players on a number of things. There are 17 big titles in tennis. 4 Grand Slams, 9 Masters titles, World Number 1, ATP World Tour Finals, Olympic Gold Medal and Davis Cup winner. I also look at number of match wins at Grand Slam level and actual weeks spent at number 1. Well Andy has only got 4 of those 17 left to do. Australia. Roland Garros, Indian Wells and Monte Carlo. Do that and he will be the first player in the game to have achieved that. Factor in also he is due to go above Boris Becker for weeks at number 1 and has 179 Grand Slam match wins, 1 more than Stefan Edberg, 13 more than John McEnroe and also 16 more than Boris Becker with 2 fewer slams played shows how remarkable and Great a player Andy Murray is. The only thing Andy has done wrong is be born in 1987. Born in another era and he wouldn't be sitting with 3 Grand Slam titles.
IP Logged

I'm already sick of federers smugness. Hope Murray finds his game and motivation for Indian wells /Miami. Show the tour  who the no.1 really is
IP Logged

The only thing Andy has done wrong is be born in 1987. Born in another era and he wouldn't be sitting with 3 Grand Slam titles.
This is something which has often been mentioned, not just on here but in the media, so I think it can be said that part of Andy's greatness is the fact that hasn't sat there and complained about this fact, but rather has acknowledged it and said that constantly being pitted against Nadal and Fed, particularly in the earlier part of his pro career, made him a much better player because he was always having to up his game when playing them, and also that he learnt a lot from these experiences.
IP Logged

I sincerely hope that this is Federer's 'Swan Song'.  Do the right thing Fed - go out with a bang not a whimper!
IP Logged
dex

I would agree. Do we look just at slams? That being the case then Stan is equal with Andy. However look at Stans record in the other events and it is ropey to say the least with only 1 masters series title at Monte Carlo. (Ps Stan to be fair admitted this himself). I rate players on a number of things. There are 17 big titles in tennis. 4 Grand Slams, 9 Masters titles, World Number 1, ATP World Tour Finals, Olympic Gold Medal and Davis Cup winner. I also look at number of match wins at Grand Slam level and actual weeks spent at number 1. Well Andy has only got 4 of those 17 left to do. Australia. Roland Garros, Indian Wells and Monte Carlo. Do that and he will be the first player in the game to have achieved that. Factor in also he is due to go above Boris Becker for weeks at number 1 and has 179 Grand Slam match wins, 1 more than Stefan Edberg, 13 more than John McEnroe and also 16 more than Boris Becker with 2 fewer slams played shows how remarkable and Great a player Andy Murray is. The only thing Andy has done wrong is be born in 1987. Born in another era and he wouldn't be sitting with 3 Grand Slam titles.
Andy only needed to win the Aussie and the French to have a 'clean sweep' and be the only player of the 'Top Four' to do it. Rafa is the only one near, but he has never won the ATP Tour Finals.
IP Logged

Andy only needed to win the Aussie and the French to have a 'clean sweep' and be the only player of the 'Top Four' to do it. Rafa is the only one near, but he has never won the ATP Tour Finals.

Will be tough to win both I think – pity he couldn't get the AO this year as it was one of his best opportunities.
IP Logged

I sincerely hope that this is Federer's 'Swan Song'.  Do the right thing Fed - go out with a bang not a whimper!
I would like to think so too, but having watched a replay of the match and listened to his comments afterwards, it doesn't sound very likely.
[ Last edit by Aileen January 30, 2017, 01:53 PM ] IP Logged

Will be tough to win both I think – pity he couldn't get the AO this year as it was one of his best opportunities.
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  I'm sure a lot of the players will take comfort in thinking if Fed can do it at 35, they still have many years ahead.  cmon yeah
IP Logged

I would like to think so too, but having watched a replay of the match and listened to his comments afterwards, it doesn't sound very likely.
  No way. He'll be pumped for Wimbledon big-time now
IP Logged

No way. He'll be pumped for Wimbledon big-time now
I meant that it was unlikely that he would retire, something I thought was clear from my post.

He's going to be pumped for Wimbledon and Rafa, although he wasn't quite at his best here, is already targeting RG, both of which could be bad news for Andy.  As for Novak, maybe this final might have revived his motivation, but only time will tell.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 Reply