MurraysWorld  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at the USO
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Reply

Andy at the USO

After a month off to rehab his hip injury Andy is expected to return to the match court at Flushing Meadows next week. On Sunday he hit on Arthur Ashe Stadium - the first player to do so this year - the court where he reached his first slam final in 2008 and won his first slam title in 2012.

* image.jpeg (261.88 KB. 600x300 - viewed 596 times.)

Since then he has reached three quarter-finals and one fourth round in New York, but with the state of his game and his physical condition unknown expectations might be unusally low.

* image.jpeg (213.3 KB. 1200x900 - viewed 58 times.)

IP Logged

I have no expectations at all, but it is nice to see Andy back on court, and I can't believe he went all the way to NY unless he was as sure as he possibly could be that he'd be fit enough to play, at least as far as his hip goes.  I take it Lendl is with him?
IP Logged

Yeah I have no expectations, not just because of Andy's lack of match practise but also because this has been Andy's worst slam ever since he won it in 2012. Since the start of 2013, Andy has made 3 Aussie SF's, 4 Roland Garros SF's, 3 Wimbledon SF's yet no SF's in New York.
IP Logged

No expectations either but  Fingers crossed for a good draw and making the second week  superman
IP Logged

Ditto re expectations but then Andy sometimes does best when expectations are lowest.   Some comms still seem sceptical that he'll actually play.  Given he was hitting on AA, have there been any reports as to whether he was limping?
It would be pleasing if the no 1 seed had a much worse draw than the no 2 seed  Whistle   I seem to remember that being no 1 did Andy no favours when it came to seeding in big tournaments  this year, relative to the draw he'd have had as no 2 seed.
IP Logged

Ditto re expectations but then Andy sometimes does best when expectations are lowest.   Some comms still seem sceptical that he'll actually play.  Given he was hitting on AA, have there been any reports as to whether he was limping?
No so far, but I'm sure the hip police will be looking out for any signs of one!
IP Logged

I think he will surprise us all. He looks extremely fit and a haircut. I think he will do well. No pressure just enjoy and do well. We have missed u. I certaintly have.
IP Logged

Also he'll be fresher mentally as well as physically than most of the other players who've been knackering themselves in the heat and humidity of the last three tournaments, something which could be to his advantage.
IP Logged

I take it Lendl is with him?

Yes he's in one or two of the below photos from yesterday.

* IMG_1654.JPG (48.45 KB. 680x502 - viewed 639 times.)

* IMG_1655.JPG (58.04 KB. 680x502 - viewed 456 times.)

* IMG_1656.JPG (100.86 KB. 679x502 - viewed 636 times.)

* IMG_1657.JPG (43.76 KB. 680x502 - viewed 470 times.)

These three are from Matt Little's twitter:

* IMG_1651.JPG (221.75 KB. 900x1200 - viewed 50 times.)

* IMG_1652.JPG (213.63 KB. 900x1200 - viewed 51 times.)

* IMG_1653.JPG (97.94 KB. 405x720 - viewed 473 times.)

IP Logged

From Stefanos Tsitsipas' twitter. What's the weather like in NY? Surprised to see Andy wearing compression vests two days in a row given the weather there is usually hot and humid at this time of year.

* IMG_1658.JPG (65.09 KB. 544x680 - viewed 630 times.)

IP Logged

Thanks for the pics.  Maybe Stefanos, or anyone else who thinks that wearing a compression vest in hot weather seems strange, should read this article - http://www.ctpost.com/healthyyou/body/article/Compression-clothing-What-is-it-and-what-are-its-1310712.php

He might be wearing compression shorts as well under his other ones in order to get the extra support for his hip as well as his back.
IP Logged

Thanks for the pics.  Maybe Stefanos, or anyone else who thinks that wearing a compression vest in hot weather seems strange, should read this article - http://www.ctpost.com/healthyyou/body/article/Compression-clothing-What-is-it-and-what-are-its-1310712.php

He might be wearing compression shorts as well under his other ones in order to get the extra support for his hip as well as his back.

It was me asking about the weather etc not anyone else. Andy almost always wears compreasions shorts, but very rarely wears a compression vest in warm conditions these days. If it is damp or cold he does, sometimes during the indoor season when it is colder outside he does, sometimes in night matches, but I can't remember the last time I saw a photo or watched a match where he wore a compression vest in the summer in the day.
IP Logged

His hip may be 100% now for all we know. It could just have been a clay-court thing that needed a bit of rest.
IP Logged

It was me asking about the weather etc not anyone else. Andy almost always wears compreasions shorts, but very rarely wears a compression vest in warm conditions these days. If it is damp or cold he does, sometimes during the indoor season when it is colder outside he does, sometimes in night matches, but I can't remember the last time I saw a photo or watched a match where he wore a compression vest in the summer in the day.
Sorry, I assumed from what you posted that it was Stefanos who was surprised, but as I said, in the circumstances, he might have wanted to give his back more support as well as his hip.  In fact it's possible that the two problems could be linked in some way.

His hip may be 100% now for all we know. It could just have been a clay-court thing that needed a bit of rest.
It isn't just a clay-court thing because he says he's had this problem for years but had been managing it successfully up until RG when whatever the conditions is, started to flare up.  In fact had it not been for Queens and Wimbledon he might have withdrawn from subsequent tournaments and by doing so not let it get to the stage where he needed extensive rehab,
IP Logged

Thanks for the pics atl. Good to see Andy on court again.
Zverev coming in at 4th in the seedings.  Dom is in at 6th, Grig 7. Berd down to 16. Definite shift in the old tectonic plates going on.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Reply