MurraysWorld  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at Wimbledon
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 Reply

Andy at Wimbledon

?quote author=Fiverings link=topic=38205.msg1215804#msg1215804 date=1500039931]
  One of the comms at the Fed/Raonic match actually said that what Michaelangelo did  with the Sistine  chapel Federer did with Centre court at Wimbledon.   It's that sort of ridiculous guff that really pisses me off.  I like a metaphor as much as the next person, but clunky nonsense like that is actually demeaning to both Federer and journalism. If an arty metaphor is called for then Nijinsky at the Bolshoi Ballet would be more apt.
[/quote]

And did Fed inspire Azarenko with his perfect example of parenting and tennis.     But Fed's own comments top the comms.     What about being inspired when "royalty and the other tennis greats come to see me play"
IP Logged

Is the man supposed to apologise because he's won 18 Slams and people, including Royalty and tennis greats respect that, and want to see him play, and that spurs him on and makes him feel inspired?  Pretty normal, as far as I'm concerned.   There's nothing wrong with celebrating your own success and taking the positives from that.
IP Logged

It was at Wimbledon, not an exhibition match, and there were other matches being played.     
IP Logged

It was at Wimbledon, not an exhibition match, and there were other matches being played.     
What does it matter?  I just don't get all the nonsense that Fed needs to be self-effacing and grateful and not be confident and revel in what he's done.

For the record, a friend of my daughter's regularly flies with the Federer family and says a nicer family you could not wish to work with.  No arrogance, no 'I'm better than you'.  Just a respectful family going about their business. 
IP Logged

What does it matter?  I just don't get all the nonsense that Fed needs to be self-effacing and grateful and not be confident and revel in what he's done.

For the record, a friend of my daughter's regularly flies with the Federer family and says a nicer family you could not wish to work with.  No arrogance, no 'I'm better than you'.  Just a respectful family going about their business. 

It doesn't matter.    Some people like him.    Some people don't. 
IP Logged

It doesn't matter.    Some people like him.    Some people don't.  
Yep - that's what boils down to.  That, and some people can't handle his success.  He could be a saint, and some would still run him into the ground just because. 
[ Last edit by Elly July 14, 2017, 04:29 PM ] IP Logged

Yep - that's what boils down to. 

We agree again, Elly.    hug
IP Logged

We agree again, Elly.    hug
See, I edited…  Embarassed
IP Logged

See, I edited…  Embarassed

So I see.   Doesn't matter to me what success he has and why other people like or dislike him.    No skin off my nose.     I just don't like his style.   We all have our preferences.
IP Logged

So I see.   Doesn't matter to me what success he has and why other people like or dislike him.    No skin off my nose.     I just don't like his style.   We all have our preferences.
I know - it's what life's about, and we're all entitled to our views.  hug
IP Logged

I know - it's what life's about, and we're all entitled to our views.  hug

More agreement.    Whistle     If we're not careful we'll set a record here.       
IP Logged

More agreement.    Whistle     If we're not careful we'll set a record here.       
We'll be the speak of the steamie!  Very Happy
IP Logged

We'll be the speak of the steamie!  Very Happy

Fame at last!!!
IP Logged

?quote author=Fiverings link=topic=38205.msg1215804#msg1215804 date=1500039931]
  One of the comms at the Fed/Raonic match actually said that what Michaelangelo did  with the Sistine  chapel Federer did with Centre court at Wimbledon.   It's that sort of ridiculous guff that really pisses me off.  I like a metaphor as much as the next person, but clunky nonsense like that is actually demeaning to both Federer and journalism. If an arty metaphor is called for then Nijinsky at the Bolshoi Ballet would be more apt.

And did Fed inspire Azarenko with his perfect example of parenting and tennis.     But Fed's own comments top the comms.     What about being inspired when "royalty and the other tennis greats come to see me play"
   You know the worst thing about that quote? - the adjective "other" .  That really gives the lie to the man's arrogance. It's for others to judge his pedigree, not him, even though it's obviously true.
IP Logged

You know the worst thing about that quote? - the adjective "other" .  That really gives the lie to the man's arrogance. It's for others to judge his pedigree, not him, even though it's obviously true.
If it's obviously true, then surely, your point is moot.  God forbid anyone ever knows and embraces his or her own worth, eh?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 Reply