MurraysWorld  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy at Winston-Salem
Pages: [1] 2 Reply

Andy at Winston-Salem

Having exited the doubles in Cincinnati, Andy will now play at the Winston-Salem Open in North Carolina, which runs from 18-24 August, where he accepted the last wild card into the singles draw with a view to gaining more match practice in order to get himself back on the singles court, to which end he has confirmed that he will not be participating in the doubles events at the USO but might consider playing a Challenger instead, depending on how things go here, and will thereafter focus only on singles for the remainder of the season, his target for returning to full physical fitness being the Australian Open.

Speaking on the ATP website, Andy, who has never played here before, said -

I know from speaking to players who have played there that the site is great... Good facilities for practice, gym. The weather will be good from what I've seen. It's another step for me in the comeback, and we'll see how it goes. Hopefully I can have a good run here.

According to the Director the field, which includes fellow Brit Dan Evans, is "phenomenal" (which is probably a reasonable description given that it's a 250), and the list of singles and doubles players can be seen here - https://www.winstonsalemopen.com/players/

The draw is now out - https://www.atptour.com/en/scores/current/winston-salem/6242/draws?matchtype=singles - with Andy playing world #72 Tennys Sandgren in R1 on either Sunday or Monday..  Should he make his way into R2 he faces the prospect of playing the #2 seed and world #34 Denis Shapovalov..

[ Last edit by Aileen August 17, 2019, 04:11 am ] IP Logged
Geo

Sandgren has won 10 matches and lost 14 on the ATP Tour this year. 

He's won a title, in January at the Auckland 250 tournament winning in straight sets in every match.  He's won 11 matches out of 16 in 5 Challenger tournaments. 

His recent form on hard court is first match defeats in his last 3 events.  Karlovic in the Cincinnati qualifiers as well as first round defeats to Taro Daniel in Los Cabos and Radu Albot in Atlanta.
IP Logged

^ Thanks for that info Geo.
IP Logged

Oh joy,Tennys Trump up first  Rolling Eyes
Thanks Aileen, great pic,  and Geo for info.
IP Logged

Thanks Aileen and Geo
IP Logged

The good news for us in the UK is that Amazon Prime, who don't show all the 250s, are covering this tournament.
IP Logged

That is good news.
IP Logged

That is good news.
Depending on the time of the match that is because we're still 5 hours ahead.  Unfortunately though they won't be showing Zhuhai.
IP Logged

Looking forward to seeing you soon Andy Smile  Good luck and best wishes  yay cmon yeah
IP Logged

Anyone else tried to find Winston-Salem on Amazon Prime?   It is listed as being shown on the website but no signs of it yet.  Unless they are just showing the latter stages of the tournament.
IP Logged

Anyone else tried to find Winston-Salem on Amazon Prime?   It is listed as being shown on the website but no signs of it yet.  Unless they are just showing the latter stages of the tournament.

Perhaps they’ll start showing it tomorrow. Although some 250s only get broadcast from the QFs onwards. Hopefully they’ll show Andy’s match, just Andy’s end of the court mind, don’t need to be seeing his opponent in this particular match!
IP Logged

Hopefully they’ll show Andy’s match, just Andy’s end of the court mind, don’t need to be seeing his opponent in this particular match!

No, that would be quite unnecessary!
IP Logged

Have just found Winston-Salem on Prime.  At the moment matches just follow on from Cincinnati match list tonight starting with Lloyd Harris and Jaume Antoni Munar Clar at 0920 pm.  I assume it will be easier to find tomorrow.
IP Logged

Hopefully they’ll show Andy’s match, just Andy’s end of the court mind, don’t need to be seeing his opponent in this particular match!
Me neither!  

I know I can always watch on Amazon but I'm sure TennisTV will cover this tournament given that it's the only ATP event this week, although whether they'll cover Andy's match or not remains to be seen.

The only certainty at the moment is that Andy will be playing tomorrow (Monday) at a time still to be decided.
IP Logged

Schedule now out for Monday -  Andy 3rd on Center - not before 7 pm local, midnight BST.

Please post any further comments here - https://www.murraysworld.com/forum/andy-murray/winston-salem-r1-andy-murray-vs-tennys-sandgren/msg1272790/?topicseen#new
[ Last edit by Aileen August 19, 2019, 05:07 am ] IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Reply