MurraysWorld  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy At World Tour Finals 2014
Poll
How far will Andy go at o2
Fall at RR stage
Progress to semis only
Progress to final
Win the whole darned thing
Decide hes had enough tennis for this year and give it a miss to party up west with Angie, WW, Prod, Ruthie, Deb, Eyerebob and all other Murrayworlders instead .

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 119 Reply

Andy At World Tour Finals 2014

Raonic takes first set against nishi. Anyone know who we want to win regarding Andys race rankings??  They are all pretty close in points. I cant figure it out.

http://live-tennis.eu/race
[ Last edit by angiebabez September 02, 2014, 04:02 AM ] IP Logged

Raonic takes first set against nishi. Anyone know who we want to win regarding Andys race rankings??  They are all pretty close in points. I cant figure it out.

This one is tough, I reckon Nishikori is the one we want to win. However, that will give him more room to pass Andy if he beats Stan and Andy loses to Novak.
IP Logged

Now that Andy is currently 9th in the race I'd like to see Berdych lose tonight which would take
Andy to 8th
IP Logged

Now that Andy is currently 9th in the race I'd like to see Berdych lose tonight which would take
Andy to 8th

On Live Rankings Berdych is 175 points ahead of Andy in the Race (unless they have it wrong!). As this ranking is adding results in a calendar year Berdych cannot lose any points only gain them whilst playing a slam. Whatever the Berdych result after R4 Andy will still be 9th with four players within his sights.  Ferrer at 5 is less than 400 points ahead. Nishikori is now over 3000 points too so it will be a tight finish dependent on best 500 and 1000 event results before WTF. Who gets to semis in the US Open will be important in the group currently 5-10 in the race. A lot of points in slams!

Is that not correct?
IP Logged

As Andy won yesterday I felt free to cheer for Kei this morning and he was playing beautifully.  I'd love them both to make 02 but of course I want Andy to make it first.
IP Logged

To Marathon arthur
 Thanks for your comment Your argument is no doubt quite correct but beyond my admittedly limited understanding It seems that the only way Andy will be able to appear in the 02 is to keep winning matches and boosting his points
 I thought he looked absolutely drained after his win over Tsonga I feel he may not be quite recovered enough to do this but I'm hoping he'll do it somehow
IP Logged

he did look drained bb but then apparently so did Nole and I defy anyone not to look drained after playing in that humidity.  The good thing is that he wasn't cramping this time.
IP Logged

he did look drained bb but then apparently so did Nole and I defy anyone not to look drained after playing in that humidity.  The good thing is that he wasn't cramping this time.
I agree Ruthie, and Tsonga didn't look exactly in the pink either.  In fact he seemed to be sweating more than Andy for most of the match and even had to take his shoes off at one point.  Mind you, there could have been a touch of the fear factor here ..... Whistle

I'm so glad Nishikori beat the smug Canadian ball-basher though because Nishi's such a gutsy player who's game is way more entertaining to watch than Roanic's, although I hate to think what that match took out of them given that humidity levels would still be high.

IP Logged

yes I'm afraid Kei won't have much left in the tank when he plays Stan tomorrow and given they have the day match it doesn't leave him much recovery time.  They were saying he nearly didn't even enter the USO because he's had a cyst on his foot or something, which is still there.  I think his game has really come on under Michael Chang - adding more variety to his great ball striking.  I'm a big fan.
IP Logged

Alongside with Andy's wonderful performance, Nishikori's victory was yesterday's tennis highlight for me. He has such an enjoyable game style in contrast to his opponent's, who can only serve, serve, serve and sometimes follow it with a powerful FH. I mean, he cannot be blamed for using his physical advantages. Yet, he is simply boring and annoying to watch.
IP Logged

yes I'm afraid Kei won't have much left in the tank when he plays Stan tomorrow and given they have the day match it doesn't leave him much recovery time.  They were saying he nearly didn't even enter the USO because he's had a cyst on his foot or something, which is still there.  I think his game has really come on under Michael Chang - adding more variety to his great ball striking.  I'm a big fan.
I thought Kei was having an operation to remove the cyst?  Maybe he changed his mind though because from what I can remember reading the op would almost certainly have meant missing the USO.  Anyway I've just looked as his Twitter page and he sounds very upbeat about the Wawrinka match.  There's no doubt beating Raonic the way he did has been a big boost to his confidence.

Alongside with Andy's wonderful performance, Nishikori's victory was yesterday's tennis highlight for me. He has such an enjoyable game style in contrast to his opponent's, who can only serve, serve, serve and sometimes follow it with a powerful FH. I mean, he cannot be blamed for using his physical advantages. Yet, he is simply boring and annoying to watch.
I feel exactly the same about Raonic, and Nishikori, who is definitely one of my favourite players.  I'd have watched the match only it didn't start until well after 2am here.
[ Last edit by Aileen September 02, 2014, 09:16 PM ] IP Logged

To Marathon arthur
 Thanks for your comment Your argument is no doubt quite correct but beyond my admittedly limited understanding It seems that the only way Andy will be able to appear in the 02 is to keep winning matches and boosting his points
 I thought he looked absolutely drained after his win over Tsonga I feel he may not be quite recovered enough to do this but I'm hoping he'll do it somehow

BB It is well documented on two sites.

Remember on the first of these that the cut off is the current theoretical points needed to guarantee a place not what you have to get. It is dropping every week. The bottom qualifier last year scored 3350 points I think. Lower than usual because Murray had to drop out injured.

The contenders points breakdown below is particularly good as you can add to it as the season progresses and see who has best chances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_ATP_World_Tour_Finals

I hope that helps.
IP Logged

to Marathon arthur  thanks for your help Much appreciated
IP Logged

Andy at 10 now in race Frown with nishi making the semis!  Asian swing and paris are now crucial.
IP Logged

Andy at 10 now in race Frown with nishi making the semis!  Asian swing and paris are now crucial.

Not a disaster yet. As you say the next (four) tournaments are critical to both rankings. In the Race he is within 400 of the four above him and in the ATP main ranking he will be gaining as he has no points to defend as the others do. He needs to overtake just two.  A few good results (say a couple of semis) might be enough for the Race.  Nishikori has done well to get where he is now as like Andy he has accumulated zero penalty points scores (3) that will stay with him till well into 2015. His main ranking will suffer with less tournaments included. Andy on the other hand will lose his zeros (4) to be replaced by any points he can collect from two 500 and two 1000 events he should play. I just hope that he enters them all so he will benefit from a better ranking in order to avoid seeds 1 or 2 in a slam QF. Top six is essential. Let's face it he is an incredible flair player and that is where he should be. He was magnificent at times yesterday even if it ended with him looking exhausted.

Last night was virtually his first really hard match since mid 2013 and (from his post match interview) I think that he has seen the positives in his play and will want to go further. He still needs matches to be ready for 2015 so I too hope Andy gives it a good go on the Asian swing and in Paris.  I still think his main target will be the Australian Open.  It keeps getting mentioned in his interviews that he needs to be ready for that slam.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 119 Reply