MurraysWorld  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy At World Tour Finals 2014
Poll
How far will Andy go at o2
Fall at RR stage
Progress to semis only
Progress to final
Win the whole darned thing
Decide hes had enough tennis for this year and give it a miss to party up west with Angie, WW, Prod, Ruthie, Deb, Eyerebob and all other Murrayworlders instead .

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 119 Reply

Andy At World Tour Finals 2014

^  It's the wrong thread, but surely Andy could acquire English citizenship by marrying an English girl.    Anyway his gran is English so that should be enough.   I'll miss out on other misinformation and agree that we are a canny people which is why we should vote YES.

IP Logged

^  It's the wrong thread, but surely Andy could acquire English citizenship by marrying an English girl.    Anyway his gran is English so that should be enough.   I'll miss out on other misinformation and agree that we are a canny people which is why we should vote YES.

I am trying to get over having no sleep last night by poor humour?

I was thinking that canny people would vote NO to get the best of both worlds still? Or maybe they are very canny and get even more?

I can remember when having an English grandmother was the ultimate test of being able to play for England at sport. I doubt if Andy would want to do that whatever, even if he married an English beauty? Enough of this I will get into trouble as readers cannot see the smile on my face whilst writing it and will not join in with it as fun. 

IP Logged

thanks tmh I'd missed that reference to probably playing a tournament before Shanghai.  Good.  But even though I so want to see Andy at 02 I think it's good that he's pacing himself as it increases the likelihood of him prolonging his career.  And as ma has explained he's not out of the WTF yet.  I think his USO open should do much to address his confidence problem so who knows what might happen on the Asian swing. 
And I don't care a toss what flag Andy plays under; indeed as I don't like nationalism I bought a saltire not a union flag to wave at 02 a couple of years ago.
IP Logged

We don't know, but maybe he's being advised not to play so many tournaments right now.

Maybe he has to just concentrate on specific routines to build up his strength, stamina and conditioning.
And yes I agree that the Australian Open is his main target.

Andy talks about WTF at the end of this BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/29058590

I am sorry but that is terrible attitude to have. If he wants any chance in hell of winning the AO. Then needs to make big effort at the end the year. With this ranking he gets poor seeding and horrible draws. I don't like seeing the likes of Djokovic in his QF.
IP Logged

well you may see it as a terrible attitude but perhaps Andy is thinking longer term and about the need to take care of his body, given its vulnerabilities, rather than prioritising ranking points even if those do have implications for the slams, which he has made clear are his main motivation
IP Logged

Tessie,

The Race ranking does not involve protecting points. It is the number of points accrued in the calendar year. Points earnt in the next two months or so will generally be added to get a final top eight. I have said this on other threads, so I apologise if to some it is a repeat.

In the Race it is very close after the top four.  Ferrer, who is fifth, is less than 400 points above Andy so a couple of good tournaments and or others losing early and he will qualify. I think if he had beaten Novak yesterday he would have risen to sixth. Luckily  only Berdych and Nishikori in the group chasing a place are still adding points in New York.

I would, like you, support Andy the player, rather than the foreigner which he could become in the UK! I thought that he lived in Miami and Surrey with a hotel close to his place of birth at Dunblane? He could apply for dual citizenship so he could still reside in England as they may be thrown out of Europe and he would be from the Commonwealth with different rights to residence!  I JEST a little.  A lot perhaps?

At present I am extremely worried that the PM and all parties will start to hand out bribes to them to vote NO. The consequences would be terrible for then the Welsh and the Irish would expect the same additional offers. In England we would be subsidising all the rest and still without a parliament of our own. Considering that Scotland joined the Union because it was bankrupt and needed to be subsidised I see we are still likely to be in an inequitable situation.  Enough of that. I, personally, doubt if they will vote YES.  They are a canny people. Many of them here on MW?

Maybe I didn't make it clear in how i worded it but I do understand how the race works. People are saying a lot about the fact that from now on he has no points to protect which is great for his ranking but it doesn't help him in the race to the O2.  Although it would appear that isn't important to him.  Which I have to say irks me a bit being one of the many who have paid a lot of money for tickets.  But as I also said I'm just gonna try and be patient.
IP Logged

I think as a tennis player Andy would of course love to be at the 02 but the fact he mentions not overplaying suggests he has been advised not too! Mauresmo in an interview onSky pretty much implied she didn't expect Andy to be fully physically fit til the start of next year. Having missed Andy at the O2 last year and having got tickets for this year I would love to see him there. But he would be daft to risk jeopardising his career and health just for the sake of one event.  We know what we want to happen-but we are not privy to all the facts.
IP Logged

I think as a tennis player Andy would of course love to be at the 02 but the fact he mentions not overplaying suggests he has been advised not too! Mauresmo in an interview onSky pretty much implied she didn't expect Andy to be fully physically fit til the start of next year. Having missed Andy at the O2 last year and having got tickets for this year I would love to see him there. But he would be daft to risk jeopardising his career and health just for the sake of one event.  We know what we want to happen-but we are not privy to all the facts.

I hadn't heard this about him overplaying but it is absolutely correct and I think that is why he is not playing too many tournies.  I think losing to Nole was probably a blessing as he would not have to play Federer and probably lose and he will not have pushed his body too far.   I do not know why we are so worried.  Many players have come back to the top but it will not happen immediately after surgery.
IP Logged

Berdych beaten by Cilic.

A help for Andy get to the O2 even if it is our agenda to see him there and not specifically on his to play for us! 

That puts Berdych at risk as he is in that group between 5 and 10 in the Race.
IP Logged

But we really don't want Cilic to go any further or he will pass Andy.
IP Logged

I read in article where Amelie mentioned that fact.  However if he's that worried about overplaying, why has he agreed to take part in the International Premier Tennis League which takes place in November/December, although I admit it wasn't made clear whether this was just the tournament in Manilla or all four of them (which would mean taking a big chunk out of his usual Miami training)?  Maybe though his reasoning is that playing this is less stressful and less demanding on the body than 'normal' tournaments.

I hadn't heard this about him overplaying but it is absolutely correct and I think that is why he is not playing too many tournies.  I think losing to Nole was probably a blessing as he would not have to play Federer and probably lose and he will not have pushed his body too far.   I do not know why we are so worried.  Many players have come back to the top but it will not happen immediately after surgery.
I was pretty sure he would lose to Nole, although I didn't vote for it in the poll, because I think the matches he had played, and the one against Tsonga in particular, were taxing enough physically, and we saw in the Nole match just how much his body was suffering.  Also if he'd won he'd have played Nishikori in the SF, and Nishi is in the form of his life right now.  That said the signs that Andy seems to be back on track as far as his game goes were very evident and encouraging, so if he can keep himself healthy 2015 could well be a good year for him.
[ Last edit by Aileen September 05, 2014, 12:12 AM ] IP Logged

But we really don't want Cilic to go any further or he will pass Andy.

Do we think that he has a chance against Federer, or even Monfils in the semi?
IP Logged

It's not impossible! Hard to tell as Berdy never really showed up.
IP Logged

I read in article where Amelie mentioned that fact.  However if he's that worried about overplaying, why has he agreed to take part in the International Premier Tennis League which takes place in November/December, although I admit it wasn't made clear whether this was just the tournament in Manilla or all four of them (which would mean taking a big chunk out of his usual Miami training)?  Maybe though his reasoning is that playing this is less stressful and less demanding on the body than 'normal' tournaments.

Pretty sure he agreed on the basis he would only play in one place so I think he is kind of incorporating it into his training-a chance to try stuff in match situations -which are stress free. I think in terms of over playing there is a big difference between  exhibition matches and full on competition weeks.
IP Logged

Pretty sure he agreed on the basis he would only play in one place so I think he is kind of incorporating it into his training-a chance to try stuff in match situations -which are stress free. I think in terms of over playing there is a big difference between  exhibition matches and full on competition weeks.
I seem to recall that he said he would only play on his own terms, so you could be right.  Anyway the last I heard anything about it was that it was already mired in a controversy about players' contracts, so there's a possibility that it might never happen.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 119 Reply