MurraysWorld  >  Andy Talk  >  IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 30 Reply

IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez

Caz

Caz 
Yep.........know how you feel!  hug
IP Logged
Joe

Why should I do that? If you can't tell whether I am serious or not then at least the decent thing you can do is ask first, no? Can you ever imagine joking and then finding that some people are completely misinterpreting you? To be even more honest with you, I’d never insult anyone no matter what until that person starts first. Even so, I try my best to avoid it.

Pot, kettle, black.
IP Logged

Nooooon !
IP Logged

Sadly Sylvie, yes   I didn't watch the match but why oh why does Andy do this - lose against players he should be beating?  Hate to think how he must be feeling right now, not to mention what Lendl might have to say on the matter!
IP Logged
Joe

Just woke up to stumble across this thread - has made my headache feel all the worse! doh

And no, I'm not hungover. lol
IP Logged

From what I saw Lopez was going for broke and it came off! I agree that Murray  was not at his best because obviously if he was he would beat Lopez that's for sure but I also think it's disrespectful to call this a tank when after the slams this is a very important tournament plus Murray would have wanted to bounce back from last years opening exit against Young there were lots of ranking points up for grabs for Murray this week! All is not lost though he had the same opportunity in Miami!

I personally feel Murray felt the pressure of trying to show everyone he wasn't having the same dip in the masters as last year plus knowing how many point he could gain this led to a hesitant performance from him the same night his opponent played an inspired match.
[ Last edit by ak400 March 11, 2012, 07:44 am ] IP Logged

Unfortunately this seems to happen too often to Andy. The top 3 seldom lose matches they should win.

I agree "bh" and its these rather insignificant facts that will probably have a cumulative affect on our Andy's chances of getting to the summit in mens tennis, i believe he will get there. I understand he is not a Noel, Rafa or Roger. Our Andy is far more mentally complexed than the afore mentioned trio. Whether, anxiety played a part in his demise to Garcia tonight, we can only speculate. What was clear to me was that Our Andy was definately not right. Was he suffering from Jet lag, was he suffering from some undisclosed ailment, or was there some other unknown factor, physical, mental or otherwise? we just don't know. Only those in his inner circle will be privy to this information. We find ourself at the same point we were last year Re: Our Andy's performance here at IW.

Historically its not a venue he does well at. I for one am not that worried, lets not condemn the man just yet, We only have to look back to last year when he lost in the first round to Donald Young and how he eventually got himself back on the right track by Paris. I have always believed and still do that the Lendl effect will not truly be seen till the back end of the year.  I am sure that Lendl was as concerned as we are about this performance and would probably have had a few words to say to his charge. Good luck in Miami Andy.
IP Logged

From what I saw Lopez was going for broke and it came off! I agree the Murray was not at his best because obviously if he was he would beat Lopez that's for sure but I also think it's disrespectful to call this a tank when after the slams this is a very important tournament plus Murray would have wanted to bounce back from last years opening exist against Young there were lots of ranking points up for grabs for Murray this week! All is not lost though he had the same opportunity in Miami!

I personally feel Murray felt the pressure of trying to show everyone he wasn't having the same dip in the masters as last year plus knowing how many point he could gain this led to a hesitant performance from him the same night his opponent played an inspired match.
I agree, I hardly think Andy would tank with Lendl as his coach!  Unfortunately, after the last two years, then Lendl or no Lendl, I can't feel too optimistic about Miami.  I'd have thought though that Dubai would have boosted Andy's confidence.  Maybe losing to Federer in the final had a greater effect on him than we realised.
IP Logged
Joe

I agree, I hardly think Andy would tank with Lendl as his coach!  Unfortunately, after the last two years, then Lendl or no Lendl, I can't feel too optimistic about Miami.  I'd have thought though that Dubai would have boosted Andy's confidence.  Maybe losing to Federer in the final had a greater effect on him than we realised.

Haven't you heard, Aileen? He wasn't bothered about the Dubai final. He was happy to turn down a win over Federer, so increasing the ranking gap between the two, and a prestigious title.
IP Logged

That's a good point, Andy probably would have felt anxious to avoid a repeat of last year. I really didn't think he would do this again though. He needs to learn to start tournaments playing well - its worrying how varied his performances can be - going from totally beatable to playing fantastic tennis within just a few days sometimes.

I expect he and Jamie will lose tonight so one positive is that Andy will get to go to Miami early and train with Lendl on the courts there.
IP Logged

I agree "bh" and its these rather insignificant facts that will probably have a cumulative affect on our Andy's chances of getting to the summit in mens tennis, i believe he will get there. I understand he is not a Noel, Rafa or Roger. Our Andy is far more mentally complexed than the afore mentioned trio. Whether, anxiety played a part in his demise to Garcia tonight, we can only speculate. What was clear to me was that Our Andy was definately not right. Was he suffering from Jet lag, was he suffering from some undisclosed ailment, or was there some other unknown factor, physical, mental or otherwise? we just don't know. Only those in his inner circle will be privy to this information. We find ourself at the same point we were last year Re: Our Andy's performance here at IW.

Historically its not a venue he does well at. I for one am not that worried, lets not condemn the man just yet, We only have to look back to last year when he lost in the first round to Donald Young and how he eventually got himself back on the right track by Paris. I have always believed and still do that the Lendl effect will not truly be seen till the back end of the year.  I am sure that Lendl was as concerned as we are about this performance and would probably have had a few words to say to his charge. Good luck in Miami Andy.
Thanks PT.  As I said I didn't watch the match, but Andy looked perfectly well and happy in the run-up to IW.  Something "ailed" him in his first match in Dubai but he managed to pull through.   Despite Lendl, I still have a nagging feeling about a post-AO slump, perhaps not helped by Andy's defeat by Federer in Dubai.  Who knows? Shrug
IP Logged

Andy has shown that he can bounce straight back from these mini slumps when he administered beatings to Young (twice) and Bogomolov Jr after IW & Miami. GGL played the match of his life tonight and Andy was just not at the races.

There's no need to condemn. There's a reason why Andy is no.4 in the world and have been in finals or SFs in the last 5 GS. Andy is the better player period whereas GGL is unlikely to back up his statement win to tonight against Harrison.
IP Logged

Haven't you heard, Aileen? He wasn't bothered about the Dubai final. He was happy to turn down a win over Federer, so increasing the ranking gap between the two, and a prestigious title.
Of course he wanted to win Dubai!  What I'm saying is that his loss therefore had a greater psychological effect on him than seemed apparent at the time.
IP Logged

I thought at the time that it was a big mistake for Andy to play Dubai.  Certainly, it was great for him to post the wins against Berdych and Djokovic but he might well have lost to Berrer in the first round.  Andy takes longer than most to get over jet lag and adjust to new weather and playing conditions and having a bye in the first round didn't help - it was a pity he didn't get a chance to play a doubles match first.  I really hope that next year he goes to the US and stays there between the Aussie Open and Indian Wells and gives himself a chance to get used to the conditions by playing a warm up tournament on the west coast.
IP Logged

Of course he wanted to win Dubai!  What I'm saying is that his loss therefore had a greater psychological effect on him than seemed apparent at the time.

And you could be right Aileen a post Dubai mini slump rather than a post AO 2012 semifinal slump. Lets see what happens in Miami before we infer any correlation between his Dubai final loss and his pre Paris season.  I think i have raised this point i am going to make on an earlier thread. Sometimes what a person exhibits behaviourally outside may not always reflect what the person is feeling inside.
[ Last edit by psychological tennis March 11, 2012, 08:13 am ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 30 Reply