MurraysWorld  >  Andy Talk  >  Mallorca Challenger R2: Andy Murray vs Norbert Gombos
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] Reply

Mallorca Challenger R2: Andy Murray vs Norbert Gombos

Excellent especially those last two games where he seemed so confident and exuded class.
I am pleased he now another match to play. We must remember that he beat the number three seed.

yay
IP Logged

Matteo Viola up next on Thursday at a time to be decided.
IP Logged
Geo

It was the type of match he would play in a first round of a 250/500 level tournament a few years ago.  Not the best performance but one that gets the job done without too much drama going to a third set or a tiebreak.

Matteo Viola from Italy who is currently ranked 240 as Aileen posted above.
IP Logged

Thought that he played without much attack until the end of the match. I did miss the second half of the first set though. We cannot expect more at this stage. By dropping down a level his game can be controlled to suit his physical expectations. Those last two games showed how much he had in hand.

I suppose that if he beat Gombos then Viola should be easier if he is up for it. Do we know how the Italian plays and if Andy's game will cope?
IP Logged

It was the type of match he would play in a first round of a 250/500 level tournament a few years ago.  Not the best performance but one that gets the job done without too much drama going to a third set or a tiebreak.

Matteo Viola from Italy who is currently ranked 240 as Aileen posted above.
I suppose that if he beat Gombos then Viola should be easier if he is up for it. Do we know how the Italian plays and if Andy's game will cope?
I've never even heard of Viola, who has a career high of 118, achieved back in 2013, so, in theory anyway, if Andy can keep this level up, even if wasn't near his all-time best, Matteo shouldn't give him too many problems.  That said though I am taking absolutely nothing for granted at this stage in his comeback.
[ Last edit by Aileen August 27, 2019, 11:16 pm ] IP Logged

I think Andy has to realize that these guys are going to come out swinging and not look past any of them.  It was great watching on my phone, thanks for the livestream.  I could never get it on my computer, but that's okay.
IP Logged

I think Andy has to realize that these guys are going to come out swinging and not look past any of them.  It was great watching on my phone, thanks for the livestream.  I could never get it on my computer, but that's okay.
I'm sure he does realise that Apollo because he knows very well that they have nothing to lose and quite a lot prove should they beat him.  I'm glad you managed to watch the match on your phone though.
IP Logged

FULL MATCH  REPLAY TOGETHER WITH REPORT AND WHAT ANDY THOUGHT ABOUT HIS PERFORMANCE - to

PS - It takes a minute before the video starts showing the players.

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/mallorca-challenger-2019-murray-stream
[ Last edit by Aileen August 28, 2019, 02:37 am ] IP Logged

It was great to watch the match again where I could concentrate on it. I of course know Andy would not look pass any opponent because anyone can be in the zone on any given day. Just a thought that went through my head. Gombos played him hard which is good, Andy needs that at this point. Wishing him continued luck in his next match.
IP Logged

Andy's match tomorrow against Viola is scheduled last on Center, not before 6.30 pm local, 5.30 pm BST. 

Please post further comments here - https://www.murraysworld.com/forum/andy-murray/mallorca-challenger-r3-andy-murray-vs-mateo-viola/msg1273623/#msg1273623
[ Last edit by Aileen August 28, 2019, 09:47 pm ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] Reply