MurraysWorld  >  Andy Talk  >  Mubadala World Tennis Championship
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Reply

Mubadala World Tennis Championship

Andy as well as Emma Raducanu will take part in the Mubadala World Tennis Championship in Abu Dhabi next month.

The three-day exhibition event runs from 16-18 December.

Andy, who won the title here at its inaugural edition 12 years ago and again in 2015, will be joined at the MWTC by defending and five-time champion Rafael Nadal, world No 5 Andrey Rublev, former US Open winner Dominic Thiem, world No 8 Casper Ruud, and 19th-ranked Denis Shapovalov. The one-off women's match will be contested by US Open champion Emma Raducanu and Olympic gold medallist Belinda Bencic.

“I’ve got many happy memories of Abu Dhabi and I’m looking forward to returning.” said Murray. “With Emma also playing on day one, we will be flying the flag for British tennis and looking to put on a strong display."

“Andy has a special place in Abu Dhabi as the first champion of this tournament back in 2009," said John Lickrish, CEO of Flash Entertainment, the tournament's owners.  "With his return completing our line-up, this year’s field is one of the strongest in the Championship’s history with the perfect blend of youth and experience, Abu Dhabi crowd favourites and exciting debutants. It’s shaping up to be a fantastic three-day festival on and off court.”

The six-player men's tournament will see the top two seeds receive byes to the semi-finals, with the remaining four players going head-to-head in the quarter-finals. Fifth-place and third-place playoffs will be contested by the losers from each round.

* G65T2PZGUBFENKHUZQI4LLSVUI.jpg (130.79 KB. 1440x810 - viewed 2454 times.)

[ Last edit by Aileen November 23, 2021, 08:41 pm ] IP Logged

Abu Dhabi is GMT+4, which means that Andy's first match against Dominic Thiem will start not before 2 pm GMT on the 16th, followed by Emma's at 4 pm.  The winner will then play Nadal.  Unfortunately I don't think Amazon are showing it although Eurosport is.  Hopefully a free livestream will be provided.

[ Last edit by Aileen December 08, 2021, 10:28 pm ] IP Logged

Andy is flying to Abu Dhabi tomorrow (12 Dec) presumably with his new coach Jan de Witt.
IP Logged

Emma has tested positive for covid in Abu Dhabi so is having to self-isolate and won't be playing.  No word yet of a substitute but given how close we are to the start date there might not be one.

Meanwhile Andy has arrived and has been practising -

https://twitter.com/MubadalaWTC/status/1470433171238002688/photo/1
[ Last edit by Aileen December 14, 2021, 04:46 am ] IP Logged

Thanks for the update Aileen, hope Andy does well.
IP Logged

So Andy can play Shapovalov in his second match if he wins? With Delgado at the other side. Hope this will we the case, the first times are the worst.
IP Logged

Just looked at the schedule—Dominic Thiem seems to have become Dan Evans!
IP Logged

So Andy can play Shapovalov in his second match if he wins? With Delgado at the other side. Hope this will we the case, the first times are the worst.
no  winner plays nedal
IP Logged

I see that the matches were played to a new timetable and that Andy beat Dan 6-3 6-2.  The only possible outcome, IMO.

I missed it!  Damn!  I cannot seem to get Catch-up if I get my Eurosport 2 through Sky but that may be because i am using SKYGO as I am away from home?

Did anyone watch it?  Are there highlight appearing anywhere?  I am sure one of you might know. I will probably miss the Nadal match too but i have asked, at a distance for my SKY Box to record the series too late for today but hopefully for later matches i will have recordings to look at. I do not discount that Andy could beat Nadal.

See you in Scotland for those three main days of Christmas!  They are letting me travel up to see the family!

IP Logged

Yes I watched it on the tennis channel he should have won first set 6-1 but struggled twice to serve it out seemed to serve better than his last 2/3 tournaments Dan never looked as if he had enough to beat him expect iit to be a good bit harder tomorrow.
IP Logged

Rafa hasn't played since the summer (at the Citi Open) he's had a foot injury which presumably is better now?
Andy played well yesterday, there's every hope that he'll play well today - good luck Andy, I probably won't be able to watch you but I'll check the result asap later on

cmonandy

IP Logged

Yes, good luck today!
IP Logged

Hi everyone, watching Andy vs Nadal. So happy it’s on Tennis Channel. Hope you are watching.
IP Logged

Hold serve Andy
IP Logged

Cmon Andy
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Reply