MurraysWorld  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles
Pages: 1 ... 1005 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 1011 ... 1209 Reply

News Articles

Possibly.  I just didn't have time to do one of those,  Maybe the powers that be can move it? pray
I've been trying to find an earlier one using the search facility, but with no success so far.  Maybe I'm not typing it in right?  Think

I can't even find anything about in News Articles either .....

[ Last edit by Aileen November 28, 2016, 11:47 pm ] IP Logged

The Guardian have a poll on SPOTY.  I did it and so far Andy has 59% of the votes ... ahem not that polls mean much this year ...
IP Logged

I've been trying to find an earlier one using the search facility, but with no success so far.  Maybe I'm not typing it in right?  Think

I can't even find anything about in News Articles either .....

http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/andy-murray/bbc-sports-personality-of-the-year-2015/
[ Last edit by Bevc November 29, 2016, 07:50 am ] IP Logged

I was looking for political discussion in the New Statesman today, but there is no escaping Andy....(not that I want to)

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/sport/2016/11/andy-murrays-grumpy-anti-genius-has-fuelled-his-rise-top
IP Logged

IP Logged

I was looking for political discussion in the New Statesman today, but there is no escaping Andy....(not that I want to)

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/sport/2016/11/andy-murrays-grumpy-anti-genius-has-fuelled-his-rise-top

'...Aged 18, he somewhat misguidedly informed an umpire that he was a “fu****g c**t”, ...'

Eloquently put Andy. There's also a youtube of video of him mouthing to Brad Gilbert - 'fu***** t*at'  in a match versus Nadal at the Aussie Open.

Like a 20 year old kid saying that to one of the best coaches in the world at the time just shows the kind of confidence
he had in his ability.
[ Last edit by BigNose November 29, 2016, 05:50 pm ] IP Logged

That's a great article
IP Logged

Thank you!   I missed out 'BBC' in my search, although that shouldn't have made much difference.

Great article.  I checked the writer Daniel Harris out, and apart from being an American sports correspondent and TV presenter, he's also written a few books.  Last year he was nominated for the Sports Journalist's Association's Columnist of the Year Award.
IP Logged

Great article.  I checked the writer Daniel Harris out, and apart from being an American sports correspondent and TV presenter, he's also written a few books.  Last year he was nominated for the Sports Journalist's Association's Columnist of the Year Award.

Ah interesting to know, I should check out some of his other work.
IP Logged

Anyone seen this? Andy's 1st Challenger win.

IP Logged

@BigNose - No I've never seen that, so thanks for posting it. 
IP Logged

Thanks @bignose enjoyed that
IP Logged

That's a great article
You know it is and it isn't.  It misses out the fact that off court Andy is a shy gentle and very polite guy . This article makes him sound as if he is a tough guy who doesn't give a toss for anyone  whereas in fact we know that Andy was mentally scarred by the torrent of abuse and hatred directed at him over the football remark. He had death threats while at Wimbledon FGS. We know that it persists to this day. Andy Murray was and still is a victim of racism within the UK  and that is not an exaggeration,  That is why he has been so mistrustful of people and deliberately retreated from the limelight which the teenage Andy was keen to enjoy. That is why he is so awkward and tentative in interviews with a media which has been content to rip him apart in the past and now wants to write glowing but deeply patronising articles like this one. Our man got to number one with sheer talent and hard work and despite a total lack of support from the English media and the home counties.
IP Logged

The Guardian have a poll on SPOTY.  I did it and so far Andy has 59% of the votes ... ahem not that polls mean much this year ...
and the nearest contender is Mo F at only 10%.  But as you say what confidence can we have in polls this year?  There was a whole article in the Times earlier in the week on the theme of in the year of Trump and Brexit can Andy rely on the voters to do the right thing.
IP Logged

You know it is and it isn't.  It misses out the fact that off court Andy is a shy gentle and very polite guy . This article makes him sound as if he is a tough guy who doesn't give a toss for anyone  whereas in fact we know that Andy was mentally scarred by the torrent of abuse and hatred directed at him over the football remark. He had death threats while at Wimbledon FGS. We know that it persists to this day. Andy Murray was and still is a victim of racism within the UK  and that is not an exaggeration,  That is why he has been so mistrustful of people and deliberately retreated from the limelight which the teenage Andy was keen to enjoy. That is why he is so awkward and tentative in interviews with a media which has been content to rip him apart in the past and now wants to write glowing but deeply patronising articles like this one. Our man got to number one with sheer talent and hard work and despite a total lack of support from the English media and the home counties.
I take your point neverhurry but I enjoyed the article nevertheless and I suspect it would have appealed to many NS readers who might not be Andy fans.  Just one point - he may still be the subject of anti-Scottish feeling among some English people but that's not racism.  Sorry to be pedantic but I think it's important not to use the term racism in a non-racial context. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 1005 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 1011 ... 1209 Reply