MurraysWorld  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles
Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 1090 [1091] 1092 1093 1094 ... 1217 Reply

News Articles

Eh, a tournament director with tickets to sell is by definition an optimist when it comes to predicting these things.  I'll be there, but Andy turning up would be an unexpected but joyful bonus.
While you have a point, I doubt his team would tell the BBC a outright lie, and Kheredine Idessane is no fool, having been instructed by the BBC to cover the early part of Andy's career for several years.  From what little I saw of Andy in Nice he seemed to be moving well on the court and nor was there any sign of a limp when he walked, apart from the slightly wonky walk he's been doing on court for years, so I'd be interested to know what this alleged 'setback' was.

I do realise though that he could still pull out at the last minute.
IP Logged

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16245718.Judy_Murray__Andy_s_rehab_has_been_a_source_of_frustration_-_now_we_just_need_to_be_patient/?ref=rss

This is strange....not telling  that Rosmalen still is the plan...
IP Logged

It isn't strange at all because The Herald is quoting widely publicised statements Judy made several days ago, which was presumably why the tournament organisers got in touch with Andy's team to find out exactly what the situation is.
[ Last edit by Aileen May 24, 2018, 08:06 pm ] IP Logged

Andy has always maintained he will only come back if 100%. I think he finally grasps the reality of the situation when before, he would probably try coming back too early. I for one am glad he isn't returning until he's satisfied he can compete.

If he doesn't come back at all then so be it. I'm sure we'll be told at the appropriate time.
IP Logged

I doubt if we will see anything useful in news articles. Andy intentionally misleads as do most sporting folk. It is part of the tactics to gain advantage. Looking at Stan and Novak today at RG you can see the dilemma for Andy in deciding when to return. 

Novak after some shaky play and a 'bad loss' last tournament looks fit & confident enough to do a few rounds after which he will then have some expectation (which will help him) and he might keep going a long way into the tournament.

Stan, on the other hand, has just lost looking like he is not quite fit enough for a tight match. If he had played an easier opponent I think he too would have gone deep into the tournament.

Personally I think that if Andy feels close to fitness he should return at S'Hertogenbosch  in the hope that he gets some easy matches which would help him because if he does not and loses he can go home early and rest up a little more without any serious issues. Note that this requires Andy to be fit enough physically. His problem will be that he needs to play competitively to be match fit.
IP Logged

Andy has always maintained he will only come back if 100%. I think he finally grasps the reality of the situation when before, he would probably try coming back too early. I for one am glad he isn't returning until he's satisfied he can compete.

If he doesn't come back at all then so be it. I'm sure we'll be told at the appropriate time.
I agree.

I doubt if we will see anything useful in news articles. Andy intentionally misleads as do most sporting folk. It is part of the tactics to gain advantage. Looking at Stan and Novak today at RG you can see the dilemma for Andy in deciding when to return. 

Novak after some shaky play and a 'bad loss' last tournament looks fit & confident enough to do a few rounds after which he will then have some expectation (which will help him) and he might keep going a long way into the tournament.

Stan, on the other hand, has just lost looking like he is not quite fit enough for a tight match. If he had played an easier opponent I think he too would have gone deep into the tournament.

Personally I think that if Andy feels close to fitness he should return at S'Hertogenbosch  in the hope that he gets some easy matches which would help him because if he does not and loses he can go home early and rest up a little more without any serious issues. Note that this requires Andy to be fit enough physically. His problem will be that he needs to play competitively to be match fit.
Which is what I've been saying  for a while now, i.e. that the only way he has any chance of getting back to anywhere near where he was before is to play matches.

I thought Stan played very well today, but unfortunately he seemed to pick up a slight left hip problem when he was 3-2 down in the 5th which the comms thought could be hampering his serve a little, although it didn't appear to affect his movement round the court.  Shame really because I think he had the potential to go quite far here.
IP Logged

^ Aileen,  Nice to hear your views.  I think we both are at the same place on why Andy has to start playing matches perhaps at a lower level if he want to get back into the upper tier of players.

I also agreed with you about Stan in my response. He tried to come back earlier and lost too quickly. This time was worse because he played an under-rated good player who just wanted to win more than he did.

Mind you I think that Stan, with his ups and downs record in tournaments, was always fragile mentally in competing. He could be brilliant or awful? In those cases when he was down any struggle with his body was usually the end of his chance to win. Others play overcoming injuries to get through a match but sometimes fail to get back on court for the next round.
IP Logged

^ MA - The strange thing about Stan is that he seems to reserve his best tennis for Slams, which could explain why his career has been up and down like a yo-yo, so I'm not so sure that his losses are due to mental fragility but perhaps instead to a lack of motivation when it comes to the more minor tournaments.

Also this is Stan's take on yesterday's match, with it's resultant massive fall down the rankings, and what he says doesn't sound like a player who is in any way mentally fragile!  -

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/28/stan-wawrinka-speaks-french-open-exit-sends-tumbling-atp-top-250-7584406/
IP Logged

I like Stan, I remember when he used to wear those pyjama type shorts on court, he looked very nice in them.
But dropping down the rankings so much is worrying.
I hope Stan will be able to play injury free soon and be well.  You don't want these top players to have to retire because of injury, but they can't be expected to play top level tennis if they hurt.
IP Logged

I like Stan, I remember when he used to wear those pyjama type shorts on court, he looked very nice in them.
But dropping down the rankings so much is worrying.
I hope Stan will be able to play injury free soon and be well.  You don't want these top players to have to retire because of injury, but they can't be expected to play top level tennis if they hurt.
At least it wasn't his knee which caused him to lose the match but the fact that, as he says himself in another interview, he ran out of steam mentally in the 5th set as a result of not being used to playing long matches.  He did seem to pick up an upper leg/hip problem during that set, but nothing that he wouldn't have overcome in the past because players get used to playing through niggles and so just tend to shrug them off.
IP Logged

Now this article is interesting -
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/tennis-star-andy-murray-to-take-on-mentorship-role-at-hibs-academy-1-4746115

It strikes me more and more that, along with his business interests through Seedrs, plus the fact that he's also mentoring Aidan McHugh and Katie Swan, our Andrew is preparing himself for a life after tennis - but will this be sooner or will it be later?  Think   I suppose though that the answer is that we'll just have to wait and see.
IP Logged

Now this article is interesting -
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/tennis-star-andy-murray-to-take-on-mentorship-role-at-hibs-academy-1-4746115

It strikes me more and more that, along with his business interests through Seedrs, plus the fact that he's also mentoring Aidan McHugh and Katie Swan, our Andrew is preparing himself for a life after tennis - but will this be sooner or will it be later?  Think   I suppose though that the answer is that we'll just have to wait and see.

I must admit, that’s what occurred to me when I read about this.  It certainly seems like  he is getting his ducks in a row.  May be In life, as on the tennis court, he is just preparing for every eventuality.

As you said time will tell. 
IP Logged

^ Aileen,  Giving up Sports is harder than cigarettes. It is an addiction where the competing gives mental & physical highs similar to drug taking. I cannot see him giving up that easily. You can prepare for a role close to your sport but seldom is that totally satisfactory. My feeling is that he will try to get back whatever his other activities he is setting up for when he can no longer play at the top level  himself. My question is whether he will be physically strong enough for his comeback to succeed.

As for Stan his results over many years show that although he is speaking the right words off court on the court he has always not quite got what it takes to be consistent enough to become a world number 1 or even a regular top 5 player. Was his highest 3? I think that there are many in sport like this who just do not have what is necessary to continually win. It does not make him a lesser person. The facts are what they are.

I do agree that all these older players with a history of injuries will struggle in 5 sets if they are not yet fit enough. Andy knows that is his situation too. By missing RG he avoided that potential banana skin.

PS I hated those shorts. Dress at RG this year seems particularly horrendous. It puts me off the play.
IP Logged

^MA - I wasn't implying that Andy wanted to give up playing voluntarily, otherwise why put himself through a year of endless frustration, setbacks and hard work doing all that rehab?  I don't doubt that he will try to come back because I know how much he loves the game as well as competing, but like you I have reservations as to whether he'll ever get back to having the physical and mental strength required to withstand the demands of the modern game.

I do understand what you've said about Stan, and agree entirely about his ghastly shorts!  I haven't watched enough of RG so far to be able to comment on the dress, although I thought young Zverev's pale pink kit left a lot to be desired.
IP Logged

Serbian Williams outfit was unbelievable
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 1090 [1091] 1092 1093 1094 ... 1217 Reply