MurraysWorld  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles
Pages: 1 ... 1153 1154 1155 [1156] Reply

News Articles

I think it is shaping up for an official farewell at Wimbledon this year
It's certainly beginning to look like it Alt, although I don't see how he could possibly just turn up there and play without a warm-up or two beforehand. so he might go for maybe Libema, or even a Challenger, and Queens first.

However as Wimbledon is over four months away I think we'll hear something before then because I seriously doubt that even the Murray Secret Service can keep things quiet for that long!
IP Logged

It’s really sad isn’t it. A definite void in the lives of his fans, and it has to be difficult for Andy as well. We all miss seeing his brilliance on the court, but maybe we just have to appreciate all the matches we’ve been able to see him play, all the titles he’s won, the grand slams, and see him play and win the Davis cup for Britain, and Olympic Gold and Silver for his country. We have indeed been so privileged to be able to be a part of that. Wishing you the best Andy, but sure do miss you!!
IP Logged

^  It's definitely sad.
IP Logged

^^ It's definitely sad 
IP Logged

^ He has to do what is right for him but this lack of real news is distressing. Makes it look bleak for his aspirations to enjoy playing again and a worry for his other private life he wanted without pain.

We have just to be content with waiting. All the advice from ex players and coaches in the press, and us, I hope he is able to ignore!  

IP Logged

I thought this bit of information on the BBC sports website was interesting. It relates to another athlete who had bone bruising after recovery from a serious injury.

"Van Niekerk broke the Olympic and world 400m records set by American Michael Johnson in 1999 when he clocked 43.03 seconds at the Rio Games four years ago.

But the knee ligament injury he suffered in October 2017 saw him miss the Commonwealth Games the following year.

He made a winning return to action in a 400m race in the provincial Free State championship in February 2019, but missed the World Championships in September because of a bone bruise on the knee.

Van Niekerk, who is hoping to defend his Olympic 400m title in Tokyo this summer, won the 100m race on Monday in a hand-timed 10.20 seconds".

Look at the speed in the final sentence. That is class running especially as it was on grass.  People do recover!
IP Logged

We just need to keep the faith.
IP Logged

Amen to that.
IP Logged

I read in a newspaper extract that Andy IS going to commit to playing at Queen's this year. It is credited to Stephen Farrow who is a director at that place.

Has anyone knowledge of what was actually said by Andy or his camp?
IP Logged

I read in a newspaper extract that Andy IS going to commit to playing at Queen's this year. It is credited to Stephen Farrow who is a director at that place.

Has anyone knowledge of what was actually said by Andy or his camp?
What Andy said is all over the media now MA, along with some concerning news, so all we can do is, like Andy, once again wait and see what happens after he's had a chance to test things out through practising and training.  What is interesting though is that he says playing on clay, should he be able to make the clay court season, "should actually be better for a metal joint because it is softer impact-wise", whereas  I think most of us felt that it would be more difficult because of all the sliding around.

From Russell Fuller on the BBC Sport website -

"Britain's Andy Murray could return next month but admits he may require further operation"
 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/51637714

PS - Having checked the internet, heterotopic ossification is perfectly normal following hip surgery, the word heterotopic meaning "in the wrong place, or in an abnormal place, from the Greek roots "hetero" meaning "other" + "topos" meaning "place".  For example, heterotopic bone formation is the formation of bone where it is not normally found, as in muscle."
[ Last edit by Aileen Today at 04:26 am ] IP Logged

^  It's worrying but I really do think he's played lots of tennis in his lifetime and that he should retire - it's a bid sad to think that I suppose.
What if he made things worse, and he really could make things worse. 
He might play in Miami but he mightn't play until after Wimbledon, it isn't easy to be sure, but then it never is easy to be sure with Andy.
IP Logged

^ And it's even more difficult to be sure when he himself isn't sure!

From what he said I don't think playing would make things worse, just that it could be painful and would have to be properly managed, whatever that entails, and unfortunately the internet is silent on that aspect, apart from a statement in one article which says that physio could prevent the joint from stiffening up.  He'll have discussed all this with his team though.

I've quite often over the past two years wished he would retire and get on with enjoying his life, but then I'm not a highly competitive sportsperson who seems to be determined to continue to play the sport he loves and which has been a major part of his life for so long.  I just hope that if he does have to retire that it will be on his terms, something which has been looking increasingly unlikely the longer this roller-coaster situation goes on - and two and a half years and counting is a long time.
[ Last edit by Aileen Today at 05:27 am ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 1153 1154 1155 [1156] Reply