MurraysWorld  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking
Poll
What will Andy's ranking be at the end of 2017?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 340 341 342 [343] 344 345 346 ... 725 Reply

Murray's Ranking

It would seem odd if they got in to the O2 ahead of others with more points. It's probably a rather rare situation that a team wins a GS but has no other points!

From http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Rankings-FAQ.aspx

Q. How does the ATP Doubles Team Rankings Race To London work?

A. Each team is ranked according to its total points from its best 18 results from all eligible tournaments (Grand Slam, ATP World Tour, including the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals) played in the calendar year. Loser points for the rounds achieved are awarded to players in any tournament not completed. The ATP Doubles Team Rankings Race To London are used to determine the year-end World No. 1 team and which eight teams qualify for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.

IP Logged

It would seem odd if they got in to the O2 ahead of others with more points. It's probably a rather rare situation that a team wins a GS but has no other points!

Marray said in a post-match interview that he was looking forward to playing there, but I know what you mean.  Imagine how the team who finishes in eighth place will feel.
IP Logged

I see Ferrer won the Swedish Open(?) yesterday. I was expecting to see him ahead of Andy in race to London but the positions look unchanged to me. Ferrer certainly is racking up the tournaments. 15 played so far. Not bad for a 30 year old.

1 Federer, Roger (SUI)    7,085    0    12
2 Djokovic, Novak (SRB)    6,840    0    10
3 Nadal, Rafael (ESP)    6,795    0    12
4 Murray, Andy (GBR)    3,800    0    12
5 Ferrer, David (ESP)    3,755    0    15
IP Logged

I imagine that would be because only the best six 250 and 500 events are included and presumably he's already got the same amount of points or higher in six tournaments already this year?
IP Logged

That could be the reason Hatter
IP Logged

So if Ferrer continues to win at smaller events,would he end 2012 being at N.4?
IP Logged

So if Ferrer continues to win at smaller events,would he end 2012 being at N.4?

He'd have to do well at the big ones as well. It's quite complicated - they can only count 6 smaller tournaments (500 and 250), so players like Ferrer and Tipsarevic have a lot of non-countable points as they have played so many tournaments.

See http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Rankings-FAQ.aspx

IP Logged

How do Andy's top 6 compare to Ferrer?

Andy obviously has Tokyo (500), Dubai (300), Bangkok (250), Brisbane (250) that spring to mind, as well as Barcelona (90). Have I missed any?
IP Logged

I think Monte Carlo (180) is included in Andy's 6 because of:

Top 30 players (based on 2011 year-end South African Airways ATP Rankings) must play a minimum of four 500 level tournaments during the calendar year, including at least one event following the US Open (Monte Carlo Masters 1000 event will count towards the minimum of four.

Ferrer's best 6 are Acapulco (500), Barcelona (300), and 4 x 250 titles.
He played Valencia and Tokyo as well which are 500 events, so met the requirement, but he got fewer points than for the 250 events, so they are not counted at the moment.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/David-Ferrer.aspx?t=rb

Hope that makes sense!

Looking again, Ferrer can only increase his points for the lesser tournaments this year by getting more than 250 at a 500 event between now and November. Andy has quite a lot of points to defend. But it's the big tournaments that really make the difference
[ Last edit by Elena July 17, 2012, 02:25 PM ] IP Logged
dex

If Andy simply wanted to win ATP titles he could enter more 250's and 500's and be seeded number 1 in all of them. But he is eyeing a grand slam title, and a few 1000's.
IP Logged

That's interesting. So Ferrer has played a LOT of small tournaments. The advantages of this is that when it comes to having to defending his 250 points, he will only lose 70 max (due to the 180 points from Tokyo) or none at all if he has more than 7 tournaments where he's taken 250+ points.

Murray is clearly the superior player though, as the majority of his points have come from Slams and Masters whereas 1/3 of Ferrer's points come from minor tournaments (1800 of his 5455 points). Compared to Murray who has 1570 points from minor turnaments (from 7460, just 21% or 1/5).

There is still a big gap between the top 4 and the rest (even if Andy is someone floating away from the top 3 right now), that Ferrer is trying to bridge with minor ATP events, it would seem.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter July 17, 2012, 04:42 PM ] IP Logged

If Andy simply wanted to win ATP titles he could enter more 250's and 500's and be seeded number 1 in all of them. But he is eyeing a grand slam title, and a few 1000's.
This is true. The aim for Andy is clearly a Slam now, whilst Ferrer is going all out in the all the small tournaments, be it for trophies, money or ranking points (probably all 3). It is vital that Andy stays ahead of the rest in the Rankings though, lest he face the possible chance of having to beat ALL of the top three in a Slam.
IP Logged
dex

Playing that many tournoments will take it out of Ferrer though, the top 4 have played only 20 or less, whilst Ferrer 23 and Tsonga 24 aready.
IP Logged

Barring injury there is no way Ferrer will overtake Andy in the rankings this year. He's playing great but Andy will always beat him on hard/grass.
IP Logged

There is still a big gap between the top 4 and the rest (even if Andy is someone floating away from the top 3 right now), that Ferrer is trying to bridge with minor ATP events, it would seem.

Points after Wimbledon  
in 2011 Djoko 13,285, Nadal 11,270, Fed 9230, Murray 6855, Ferrer 4150
in 2012 Fed 11,075,  Djoko 11,000, Nadal 8905, Murray 7460, Ferrer 5455

So points are all closer this year than last.

I posted this elsewhere , but this is what Ferrer said on Sunday - "I work to improve my game. I don’t work to be in the Top 4. I work to be a better player and nothing else. I think the Top 4 are amazing players, and they are better than everyone else at this moment. I don’t think about the Top 4, I think about me and the Top 10".

He could pick up quite a lot more points at Toronto, Cincinnati and the US Open though, while Andy has more to defend.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 342 [343] 344 345 346 ... 725 Reply