MurraysWorld  >  Andy Talk  >  Rio Olympics 2016 R3: Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini
Poll
Predictions
Murray in 2 - 12 (66.7%)
Murray in 3 - 5 (27.8%)
Fognini in 2 - 0 (0%)
Fognini in 3 - 1 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 28 Reply

Rio Olympics 2016 R3: Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini

* image.jpeg (15.68 KB. 185x233 - viewed 755 times.)

Andy Murray reached the third round of the Olympic men's singles tournament with a sixty-nine minute straight-set win over Juan 'Pico' Monaco. After the match Pico described Andy as a 'huge opponent' and expressed pride at representing his country at this Olympics. For all the withdrawals from the Olympic tennis, what remains at the heart of this tournament is the passion each player has for representing their country on court.

Few other's in the game have embraced the meaning of being an Olympian in the way Andy has at these games, and the way he fights for every point when representing Great Britain on the court remains undiminished. When representing GB in Davis Cup he has lost just two matches in singles in eleven years, and he faces one of his Davis Cup conquerors in the third round in Rio on Wednesday.

Fabio Fognini - the mercurial yet temperamental Italian - defeated the equally unrealised talents of Benoit Paire in a match that at times bordered on an exhibition style attitude from both men as they displayed both flamboyance and apparent disinterest. Paire served for the match but it was Fognini who won the final point in the third set tiebreak.

Paire's general disinterest in the Olympics has been evident from the start - he only made the cut after Richard Gasquet was forced to withdraw with a back injury - and earlier this year French Davis Cup captain Yannick Noah indicated he didn't want Paire anywhere near his team. In a bizarre turn of events following the second round loss, Paire was banned from the French team and ordered to pack his bags for behaviour reasons and lack of team spirit, adding a new layer to what has been a disappointing Olympics for the French tennis team.

Andy and Fognini - both arriving in Rio with hair cuts, though true to his character the Italian's is rather more dramatic - have faced each other four times to date and have two wins apiece, one each on hard and clay. Andy won their last encounter on the way to another battling title win in the autumn of 2014 at the Valencia ATP 500 tournament. Andy has been broken in the first set of his two matches so far, but has responded with an immediate break back, and hasn't been tested much thus far.

The slow court has allowed Andy to show off his much celebrated defence, but his court position was better and he was a little more proactive in the forecourt on Tuesday. One area for improvement will be his first serve percentage which is lingering in the high 50s, something that won't help him as the tournament progresses. Fognini is capable of some astonishing shots and twice defeated Nadal in epic matches in 2015, but his form in 2016 has been impacted by injury, but the Italian has the potential to detain Andy on court and cause the second seed trouble if he walks on court in the right frame of mind.

The match is scheduled to be played third on Centre Court at an estimated start time of 2.15pm local time and 6.15pm BST. The weather is forecast to be cloudy and humid, with a chance of rain showers throughout the day. Temperatures of around 21 degrees Celsius, humidity of up to 75% during the day, and a southwesterly wind of 18mph with gusts of up to 25mph.

Thanks to Bev for the H2H in the post below.

[ Last edit by amongsttheleaves August 10, 2016, 11:36 AM ] IP Logged

wave Lunch break! Very Happy

Here you go.

cmonandy cmon GB

* Murray vs Fognini 1.JPG (141.05 KB, 1136x1477 - viewed 221 times.)
IP Logged

Many thanks for the helpful intro, and to Bev as well for doing the H2H.

OOP is now up.  Match is 3rd on Centre following Nadal vs Simon which is scheduled for not before 12:30pm Rio time, so I estimate Andy will be on around 6:15pm BST.
IP Logged

Thanks for the splendid intro BevC and atl.
Am I right in thinking this slow, high bouncing, sticky court favours Rafa and possibly Foggy?
Whatever...... COME ON  superman
IP Logged

Many thanks for the helpful intro, and to Bev as well for doing the H2H.

OOP is now up.  Match is 3rd on Centre following Nadal vs Simon which is scheduled for not before 12:30pm Rio time, so I estimate Andy will be on around 6:15pm BST.

Weather looks pretty shitty at the moment rain and wind - any predictions for their afternoon?
IP Logged

Weather looks pretty shitty at the moment rain and wind - any predictions for their afternoon?

Showers likely, but less likely as the day goes on. I'd anticipate a rain delay. Also due to the wind I'd expect a delay to start of play on any outside courts.
IP Logged

Thanks for the splendid intro BevC and atl.
Am I right in thinking this slow, high bouncing, sticky court favours Rafa and possibly Foggy?
Whatever...... COME ON  superman

I think the court is playing like a cross between IW and Miami. The bounce is not as high as IW, and the air is quite like Miami, but the surface is as slow as IW, but like Miami the humidity makes the court sticky and the ball heavy. The ball is actually quite a fast ball so it is slightly countering the slowness of the court.

Andy has got better at handling higher bounces with his clay improvements in the last two years. I've not seen him struggling particularly with the bounce so far.
IP Logged

Showers likely, but less likely as the day goes on. I'd anticipate a rain delay. Also due to the wind I'd expect a delay to start of play on any outside courts.

Thanks for that atl.  I assume the temp is pretty high too, so humidity a factor?
IP Logged

Thanks for that atl.  I assume the temp is pretty high too, so humidity a factor?

Yes, when I did the weather update to the intro this morning the forecast was for high humidity. The actual temperature is on only early 20s, but cloudy and humid makes for uncomfortable conditions.

Very windy as well. Women's cycling time trial has been affected a little, some riders with dodgy starts because of cross winds, and the rowing cancelled.
IP Logged

Cheers for your response atl. So many factors to consider!
IP Logged

Start of play delayed until at least 1pm. Schedule has been changed and Andy is now the second match on Centre Court after Rafa vs Simon. Unlikely we'll see Andy on court before before 6.30/6.45pm. Possibly closer to 7pm. I'll post an update if anything changes.
IP Logged

No tennis until 6 pm our time so I guess Andy's match will be delayed even further.
IP Logged

No tennis until 6 pm our time so I guess Andy's match will be delayed even further.

Jan, probably more like 8pm BST for Andy.
IP Logged

UPDATE: There will be no play before 2pm at the #OlympicTennis Event #Rio2016 pic.twitter.com/dHudjvpyP6
IP Logged

Schedule and live scores here (if they ever get on court, that is.):

http://www.rio.itftennis.com/olympics/schedule
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 28 Reply