Poll
Predictions
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Rublev in 2
Rublev in 3

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9 Reply

Rotterdam R2, Andy Murray vs Andrey Rublev

In this round Andy plays the fourth seed and world #8 23 year old Andrey Rublev, the highest ranked player since he defeated Alexander Zverev at the Western & Southern Open last year.

Rublev, who played his first indoors match of the season against qualifier Marcos Giron, defeating him 7-6, 6-3, making it the 9th win of the ten matches he's played this year, won the last three ATP 500 events of the 2020 season, at the Hamburg European Open (d. Tsitsipas), the St. Petersburg Open (d. Coric) and the Erste Bank Open in Vienna (d. Sonego), bringing his total number of ATP titles to 7.  He reached the quarter-finals of the US Open in 2017 and 2020, the French Open in 2020, and the Australian Open this year where he lost to Daniil Medvedev in straight sets.  Prior to that he was instrumental in leading Russia to the ATP Cup title.

The two have met once before, in R2 of the 2017 Australian Open, with Andy winning 6-3, 6-0, 6-2 despite suffering from an ankle injury at the start of the third set.

Rublev is an offensive baseliner whose biggest weapon is his powerful forehand along with a very fast first serve, but while this gives him the ability to cruise past most players outside the top 10, he often lacks the guile to win high-level tactical battles against more highly ranked or experienced opponents.  However according to Andy - “He’s always practising. I’ve practised with him a few times and from the first ball, he doesn’t sort of warm into it.  He just goes full power from the beginning of the practice and that’s how he plays matches and that’s what’s gotten him lots and lots of success.”

The match is scheduled for today, not before 6:30 pm GMT.

* 2.58369158 (1).jpg (33.51 KB. 764x430 - viewed 4092 times.)

[ Last edit by Aileen March 03, 2021, 12:43 am ] IP Logged

Thank you Aileen  Ok
IP Logged

Good luck Andy Smile
Thanks Aileen Smile
IP Logged

Thank you Aileen, Good Luck Andy!
IP Logged

Thanks Aileen.

Rublev likes Andy and I think has quite a lot of respect for him. There was a nice story of him giving Andy a big hug when he returned to the tour in 2019.
IP Logged

got a strangely good feeling about this. maybe it's just how strongly andy finished against haase but i think he matches up well with rublev - that's if rublev doesn't have a good hitting day, in which case he could run away with this easily. still, i'm gonna say andy uses the confidence from monday to pull something out of the bag here. even just being competitive would be a good sign.
IP Logged

Thanks Aileen.

Rublev likes Andy and I think has quite a lot of respect for him. There was a nice story of him giving Andy a big hug when he returned to the tour in 2019.

I remember that and Andy saying he was a bit taken aback at the time.    A lot of respect there.
IP Logged

Thanks Aileen
It's an interesting match up, surely this is what Andy wanted, competitive matches. I expect a significant increase in his level tonight, I doubt it will be enough but I'm sure he'll be buoyed if he puts in a good performance.
IP Logged

So Medvedev and Zverev both knocked out of the tournament which is a bit of a surprise!

Meanwhile Tsitsipas had to fight to defeat Gerasimov 7-6(4), 7-5, which puts Andy's loss to him a bit more into perspective.
[ Last edit by Aileen March 03, 2021, 03:57 pm ] IP Logged

a shame andy is in the half he is, because the top half of the draw has absolutely imploded! looks like no seeds in round 2. andy's half is still loaded.
IP Logged

Players on court.  GO ANDY!

Having watched some of Rublev's match yesterday it looked as though the slow court and heavy balls were taking some of the fire out of Rublev's FH - we hope anyway!

IP Logged

Just realised this is on Amazon Prime!  cmon yeah
IP Logged

watching a great point that ends in complete silence will never not be bizarre.
IP Logged

Yes - it’s a bit surreal right enough...
IP Logged

watching a great point that ends in complete silence will never not be bizarre.
I agree.  The sooner we can get spectators back the better.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9 Reply