Murray in 4 - 9 (39.1%)
Murray in 5 - 2 (8.7%)
Nishikori in 3 - 1 (4.3%)
Nishikori in 4 - 0 (0%)
Nishikori in 5 - 1 (4.3%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 79 Reply

US Open 2016 QF: Andy Murray vs Kei Nishikori

* image.png (43.18 KB. 242x138 - viewed 875 times.)

Andy Murray has returned to the quarter-final stage at Flushing Meadows after a dominant victory over an overwhelmed and error-prone Grigor Dimitrov in the last sixteen. Andy's opponent in the last eight will be Japan's Kei Nishikori, who won the last match on Louis Armstrong Stadium with some strong serving and good net play of his own against the giant serving Ivo Karlovic.

Andy and Kei last faced each other in the semi-final stage of the Rio Olympics last month. Andy won - as he has on six other occasions - after two scrappy performances against Fognini and Johnson in the previous two rounds. In Rio Andy knew he needed to raise his level, particularly his first serve percentage, to see off Kei's return and defence, and he did exactly that win an emphatic 6-1 6-4 scoreline.

Kei has been slightly under the radar at this US Open, but he is the only other player on the men's tour along with Andy to reach the second week of each slam this year. Nonetheless, since his run to the finals here in 2014 Kei has yet to go beyond a quarter-final match at a major.

Despite his strong movement and dynamic backhand, Kei struggles with the variety Andy has honed in his game over the last two years. Against Lorenzi in the third round Andy suppressed his variety for the best part of two hours as he struggled to find the balance between aggressive short points and grinding defence, but when he began to mix up his shots and make proper use of the variety at his disposal, the match swung decisively his way.

Andy will know that strong serving and attacking use of variety are the keys to victory over the Japanese man. Their last match over best-of-five sets is the longest match Andy has played this year.

The match is scheduled to be played second on Arthur Ashe Stadium on Wednesday 7th September, not before 1pm local time, 6pm BST, however barring a retirement in the women's match beginning at 12 noon/5pm this quarter-final is unlikely to start before 2pm/7pm. The weather is forecast for sun, cloud, and possible showers. Temperature around 28 degrees Celsius, humidity of 60%, and a north-easterly wind of 12mph. If the predicted showers arrive the roof might be closed for the match, or closed mid-match.

Thanks to Bev for the H2H image.

* image.png (358.84 KB. 537x800 - viewed 550 times.)

[ Last edit by amongsttheleaves September 07, 2016, 03:23 pm ] IP Logged

Anyone know whether the 1st and 2nd seeds at the US Open are always guaranteed AA bookings now, or it's totally at the tournament's discretion?  Regardless, it's been nice to see Andy get all this prime-time - It was delightfully strange to see him on the television on the main sports network ESPN when I was at the gym, not the ESPN2 that tennis is usually relegated to here in the US. 
IP Logged

I imagine it's discretion mt.  British commentators have suggested Andy might not have been on AA for every match had Fed been playing and on his side of the draw.
Thanks for the opener atl.  I really like how Kei hits the ball and moves around the court but his game is very one dimensional compared to Andy's.   Although good for us, perhaps less so for Andy that it's a day match as he clearly rises to the occasion of the night matches (and us sleepy heads who seem to jinx him when watching will be reporting for duty  Whistle ).  I doubt it will start as early as 6pm unless the women's match is exceptionally quick given that it starts at 5pm.  
IP Logged

Glad its being played at a good time for UK viewers.

Weather looks to be 30C, 14mph winds, sunny with some cloud, and 60% humidity. That's fairly brutal. Andy does not want to be out playing in that for 4 or 5 hours.
IP Logged

I doubt it will start as early as 6pm unless the women's match is exceptionally quick given that it starts at 5pm. 
Definitely nearer 7pm I'd say.  This isn't the first time though that the USO website has posted improbable schedules!
IP Logged

BBC weather showing 27C with sunny spells and showers. 10mph wind. That's probably better conditions.
IP Logged

BBC weather showing 27C with sunny spells and showers. 10mph wind. That's probably better conditions.
I've looked at two other forecasts which agree with your original one, but as the same forecasts got Hurricane Hermione completely wrong, I'll go with the BBC!

I doubt it will start as early as 6pm unless the women's match is exceptionally quick given that it starts at 5pm.  
I've now been reliably informed that the use of 'the not before' statement is in case there's a retiral in the previous match.
IP Logged

It's going to be hot (88 F) but mostly cloudy according to my phone here in Brooklyn! Better than direct sunshine anyway.

But all this is overshadowed right now by the news that Tsonga just RETIRED after two not terribly competitive sets against Djokovic. McEnroe was (almost) speechless, which as we all know is something of extreme rarity. This is the weirdest trip anyone's had to the semifinals of a slam ever, as far as I know... Very strange.
IP Logged
ABF

Ridiculous good fortune for Djoko.... he'll be fresh as a daisy for his semi. It been more like a mini vacation than a slam for him.

Hope Andy can really rest well in between matches this week....should he progress... a very tough semi in prospect and a likely final against a fresh Djoko. Odds heavily in favor of Djoko now Id say.
IP Logged

It's going to be hot (88 F) but mostly cloudy according to my phone here in Brooklyn! Better than direct sunshine anyway.

But all this is overshadowed right now by the news that Tsonga just RETIRED after two not terribly competitive sets against Djokovic. McEnroe was (almost) speechless, which as we all know is something of extreme rarity. This is the weirdest trip anyone's had to the semifinals of a slam ever, as far as I know... Very strange.
I can't get my head round this either.  It's just so bizarre.  Goodness knows what Djokovic is making of it all.

Hope Andy can really rest well in between matches this week....should he progress... a very tough semi in prospect and a likely final against a fresh Djoko. Odds heavily in favor of Djoko now Id say.
Given that Djoko's form has almost returned then probably yes.  Monfils has never managed to beat Djoko on the Tour, and I can't see him doing so now.  He played well against Pouille, but then Pouille was practically out of gas after his epic against Nadal.
[ Last edit by Aileen September 07, 2016, 04:12 am ] IP Logged

Ridiculous good fortune for Djoko.... he'll be fresh as a daisy for his semi. It been more like a mini vacation than a slam for him.

Yeh - to me he was always playing a bit of 'rope-a-dope' here, first the suggestions he wouldn't play USO at all, then the story that his wrist might fall off at any moment.

But he could not have imagined this much luck. Super-fresh now and just two wins needed for a 13th slam. If it did turn out to be an Andy-Novak final, the difference in energy levels going in will be just absurd.
IP Logged

Let's look at this from another viewpoint:

Novak will likely beat Monfils easily, and get to the final without being tested (apart from Janowicz first round, but even that wasn't really a test). Andy will be a real test for him.

Andy should beat Nishikori, and hopefully Wawrinka / DelPo will wear each other out so that Andy can have a comfortable semi.

In the final, Andy goes in having won Wimbledon and the Olympics. Novak knows how well Andy is playing, and also knows that he lost R3 at Wimbledon and R1 at the Olympics.

Andy has Lendl. Novak and Becker are well aware of the effect that has on Andy.

There are still some minor injury doubts about Novak too.

Let's see!
IP Logged

djokovic must have a hot line to the tennis gods  but if it happened  to Andy, we'd be worried that he lacked  match practice  Murray in 3 for this one  Lendll has him jumping through hoops
IP Logged

The curse of Novak - at this rate people will be refusing to play against him.   While the man himself does his usual Lazarus act.  shocking

I wish I could share your optimism STE.    Even if Andy hadn't dropped a set all fortnight the disparity in the amount of time and energy they've had to expend on court would be huge.  As it is, he's still got two tricky matches to negotiate before even getting to the final though I certainly share your hope that Stan and Delpo get locked into a 5 set slugfest that leaves the winner exhausted.  With a bit of luck even a minor injury - just enough to give Andy a w/o in the SF without any longer term effects (as I don't like to wish an injury on anyone).  
IP Logged
deb

Well I think joker is well under cooked hardly any match play , yes he will be fresh  but you can't replace good match play , he will be very nervous to , but I guess we will just wait and see, a long way until the final .
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 79 Reply