Murray in 4 - 13 (40.6%)
Murray in 5 - 0 (0%)
Berdych in 3 - 0 (0%)
Berdych in 4 - 0 (0%)
Berdych in 5 - 1 (3.1%)
Total Voters: 32

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 30 Reply

Wimbledon 2016 SF: Andy Murray vs Tomas Berdych

* image.jpeg (51.26 KB. 300x300 - viewed 636 times.)

There had to be a Murraycoaster somewhere along the way. Fighting past Jo-Wilfred Tsonga in five sets Andy Murray has won his 100th grass court match and earned a place in his seventh Wimbledon semi-final, where he'll face the tenth seed Tomas Berdych, who defeated surprise quarter-finalist Lucas Pouille in a straightforward three set match on Court 1.

Andy and Berdych have met at this stage of the 2012 US Open and the 2015 Australian Open. Both times the match was significant - in 2012 he went on to lift his first slam trophy, and in 2015 the tense semi-final would see him return to the slam finalists' circle after an eighteen month absence. On each occasion the match went to four sets with the Czech man taking the first in both matches. Andy has never won a slam semi-final in less than four sets, and in six out of the ten he has won he has dropped the first set.

Berdych has been slightly under the radar at the championships after. Entering Roland Garros on the back of a poor clay Masters season he reached the quarter-finals there, and Wimbledon with an even poorer record on grass, few expected him to do much damage in the draw. After the early losses of Stan Wawrinka and Dominic Theim, the world number nine has made the most of the draw opening up, but it hasn't been a smooth run to the semis - he's dropped sets to Ivan Dodig, Alexander Zverev, and Jiri Vesely along the way. Indeed more attention has probably paid to his late night fourth set tiebreak against Vesely than to his form this tournament. On the whole he is serving solidly, moving well along the baseline, moving up the forecourt, and returning well.

Andy had his first big test of the tournament against Tsonga, and many will be hoping that it serves to sharpen his focus over the remaining days. In the past Berdych has proved a tricky opponent for the world number two, and for a time was the more dominant player in their head-to-head, but that all seemed to change at the beginning 2015 when Andy started to play much more aggressively against a man he'd often allowed to bully him around the court. Their semi-final in Melbourne was the last time Andy dropped a set to the Czech, since then he has been routined by Andy in Miami, Shanghai, and Madrid.

Andy has seemed to enter their matches sharply focused and in a mood to destroy. Theories about why this might be centre on the coaching arrangements of the two players. Inspired by Wawrinka's win in Melbourne in 2014, Berdych believed he could be the next man to surprise everyone and approached Ivan Lendl in the summer of 2014. Berdych admitted to finding it difficult seeing the Czech-born American by Andy's side through 2012-2013, believing that some sort of national connection meant Lendl should have been with him. Lendl turned him down, but reportedly recommended Andy's assistant coach Dani Vallverdu for the job, so Berdych went about poaching Vallverdu from Andy's team that autumn. The rest, as they say, is history.

At a guess Andy's 'seek and destroy' approach to playing Berdych since the beginning of 2015 might also come down to locker room misogyny over Andy's 2014 appointment of Amelie Mauresmo following Lend's departure that March - the culprits have remained unnamed but there has been something in Andy's eye during these matches that suggests this is more than a 'bit of needle' over Vallverdu. More recently things have taken an interesting turn. Lendl has returned to Andy's side and Berdych has unceremoniously sacked Vallverdu - a young man who Lendl is extremely fond of, almost to the extent that he treat him like a son. Berdych is currently coachless, and given he is the only man other than Andy to have reached all three slam quarter-finals so far this year it may not have been the worst choice to have made.

Tennis aside there is a good chance that there will be an 'atmosphere' between these two on Centre Court on Friday afternoon. Andy absolutely knows how to best Berdych, and if he can maintain his 'seek and destroy' approach to taking out the Czech, with the aggressive use of variety and all-court tactics he has dismantled Berdych with on four occasions in eighteen months, we can hope that the semi-finals will be more straightforward than the quarters were. He'll need to do some things better though; most notably his forehand and net approaches - neither of which were strengths against Tsonga on Wednesday.

Andy leads the head-to-head 8-6. They have never faced each other on grass.

The match will be played on Centre Court on Friday 8th July. The match is scheduled to be played second following Federer vs Raonic, with play starting at 1pm Andy's estimated start time is 4pm. Rain is forecast throughout the morning, but expected to clear from midday onwards and the best weather forecast for late afternoon and early evening. Highs of 21 degrees Celsius, a south-westerly wind of 12mph with gusts of up to 22mph, with humidity of 65% when Andy is due to play.

[ Last edit by amongsttheleaves July 07, 2016, 03:29 PM ] IP Logged

Voting for Andy to win in 4 sets.  Hopefully Andy will be focused and comes out firing.
IP Logged

If Andy is anything near top form he'll dismantle Berdych.  Just keep the ball low and keep him moving about, side to side, back and forth. Andy in 3
IP Logged

Great intro, thanks atl.   Won't be able to watch this as will probably be on a train (though if it goes late might catch some of it later I guess).  Because I dislike FF (aka bird) so much I tend not to look forward to these matches.   I just hope yesterday didn't take too much out of Andy but I guess with a day's rest and such a smooth passage up till then, he'll be fine.  And as you say, he may have needed a testing match like that to sharpen him up.   But he'll need to avoid another match of this kind of length.  I read somewhere that FF looked pretty tired yesterday and it sounded like he wasn't really pushed by Pouille.  So even with a day's rest and an easy match, he might be slightly jaded still himself.  It's interesting they've never played each other on grass. 
IP Logged

I really can't believe that FF will play as well as Joe did.
IP Logged

Wow.. didn't realise they'd never played against each other on grass. No way Andy is losing this. Not..A..Chance. nah

Hope the wind gets really gusty (a la USO 2012) lol

Ruthie.. that's great reading about your CC day yesterday, you lucky lady x
IP Logged

Berdych is still probably a bit miffed that Lendl is Andy's coach again, after he turned down his own request, saying that he didn't want to get back into tennis.   Let's hope tomorrow's match is less of a roller coaster.
IP Logged

Sorry I'm late with this - so, so busy! And I may miss most of this match live as we are off up to Auckland airport early doors to pick up our ex-daughter-in-law and grand-daughter, who are here for a month long visit. Very Happy

cmonandy

* Murray vs Berdych 2.JPG (220.18 KB, 1149x2265 - viewed 161 times.)
IP Logged

The Tsonga match is the perfect preparation for this match. Andy will be 100% focused from the start and he'll know he cannot afford to let his level drop again.

Gusts of up to 22mph? Now that's pretty windy! It won't help the big Czech when he serves.

I did not know Andy had never won a slam semi in straight sets. Fed has a ridiculous number of straight set semi-final wins and Joker has a fair few as well. Perhaps Andy just does not have the temperament/mentality or whatever to do it in straights. I think this may be the day.
IP Logged

Andy in 4!
He knows how to deal with Tomas by now and he'll be fully focused after the JWT match. Lendl ha probably whooped his backside for that  rollercoaster Very Happy

Thanks for the H2H Bev. Toppers as usual!
IP Logged

The windier the better as far as I'm concerned.  Didn't do Berdy much good at the 2012 USO, although if memory serves me right, he did start to play better when the wind, which was really strong, dropped briefly.

I'm very glad that Andy was made to work against Tsonga because Berdych had to fend off two up-and-coming young players in the form of Alexander Zverev and fellow Czech Jiri Vesely en route to the semis.   With any luck though they might have tired him out a bit!

IP Logged

The windier the better as far as I'm concerned.  Didn't do Berdy much good at the 2012 USO, although if memory serves me right, he did start to play better when the wind, which was really strong, dropped briefly.

Berdy's ball toss is very high so if it is very windy then he does find it tough to serve well. But worth noting that Centre Court is quite sheltered these days, so while it does get windy it is offset slightly. During 2012 semi in NY Ashe had no real shelter and the hurricane gales just got in the court and swirled all over the place.

Andy finds the wind tough, he is just better at adapting to it than most other players. It will be interesting to see if Federer and Raonic have any issues with the wind, if either of them do I'd expect it to be Raonic.

One thing I've read that Berdy has been saying ahead of this match is that he thinks Andy started playing better against him once he got more creative on court. Berdy's basically been saying that when Andy worked out how to use his variety to blunt Berd's shots and be aggressive with it Berd has found it very hard indeed.

Andy was told this in his presser and his response was interesting. He seemed pleased that Berdy had raised the point about variety + aggression because if players are saying that then it kind of dispells the idea that Andy only ever played aggressively with Ivan. Andy is immensely proud of how he is now using his variety.

Today I also saw that Andy has refuted the whole Lendl=forehand speed narrative, arguing that his back and back surgery played an important part in the drop off in speed. One of the problems with the way in which that data has been presented is that it is trying to fit a specific narrative, so averages from 2014, when every shot was slower for most of the year, get lumped in with averages from 2015/2016, and the post-Lendl average is made lower because of that, but it isn't really a post-Lendl average but a post-surgery average.

It would be interesting to see comparative speeds on his backhand during the periods Jim Courier has been fixated on. Based on the effect the injury had on his backhand I'd expect to see a drop in speed and accuracy on that wing during the 2013-2014 period compared to the period before. His backhand has been extremely strong for most of the last eighteen months, hit some absolute howizters off that wing.

I've not watched much of Berdy, but of the little bit's I've seen I thought he was hitting pretty cleanly and I was surprised at his movement, looked good moving along the baseline. I did think though that he'll looking a little heavier. Some of his early matches were impacted by the rain, so he has had a few scheduling things to contend with. But I don't expect him to come into the semi tired because the match against Pouille was pretty quick compared to the others.
IP Logged

http://m.tennis.com/pro-game/2016/07/2016-wimbledon-mens-semifinal-previews/59413/

A SF review. Thanks to McEnroe canny observations and advice, I think Raonic will spring a surprise on weary Federer and blast the latter off course, once the battle becomes attritional.  Federer can only do one long match now at his age. His only chance is to win it in straight sets. Once it gets to four sets, I think Federer's weary legs won't handle it.  I would not be surprised if Federer tweaks something in the SF due to over exertion. I think Raonic & Andy will both win in 4 sets.
IP Logged

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/07/andy-murray-tomas-berdych-wimbledon-2016
IP Logged

Always worth waiting for Bev and great photos   w00t
atl I noticed Andy saying that too and I'd always wondered whether those stats that the commentators love to bandy around took account of the post-operation (as opposed to the lendl) effect.  I'm glad Andy is still emphasising the importance of the variety he brings to the game.  Not only does it help him beat the sluggers it's also why I love him as a tennis player.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 30 Reply