Murray in 4 - 7 (50%)
Murray in 5 - 0 (0%)
Brown in 3 - 0 (0%)
Brown in 4 - 1 (7.1%)
Brown in 5 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13 Reply

Wimbledon 2017 R2: Andy Murray vs Dustin Brown

* image.jpeg (51.26 KB. 300x300 - viewed 347 times.)

Andy Murray saw off the flashy but extremely inconsistent Alexander Bublik to reach the second round of Wimbledon. His opponent is the flamboyant German-Jamaican Dustin Brown, who hit the headlines in 2015 when he served-and-volleyed his way past Rafa Nadal at the same stage. Two years before that he saw off Lleyton Hewitt in the twilight of his career.

Brown is an entertaining player to watch when he's on form, and grass suits his unpredictable game. In the first round he came in behind 49% of his serves, and won 78% of those approaches. He makes frequent use of the drop shot. Andy ran down several in his first round, but this is an area where he has perhaps not been so strong as he once was. In 2015 he ran down drop shots with an explosiveness few players could match, and many would envy.

The two have played once, at the US Open in 2010. On that occasion Andy soaked up Brown's forehand power, defended well with his running forehand, and flicked passing shots cross court and down the line as if there was nothing in it at all. But many will remember how Andy was undone by Mischa Zverev's all court game in Melbourne earlier this year. Andy was, admittedly, flat that day, but he seemed barely able to get a ball past Zverev at the net - an issue he'll be keen to avoid against Brown.

Andy was strong at the net in his opening match, which was good to see after some poor net play this year and a distinct regression in his willingness to approach the net this season - though this arguably goes back to the latter half of 2016. Taking the initiative to make use of the forecourt and take the net away from Brown would be enjoyable to watch, but it wouldn't be entirely surprising to see the world number one defend from the baseline and use his arsenal of passing shots and lobs to handle Brown's attacks at the net.

Brown is more disciplined than Bublik, but his penchent for the highlight reel masks the inconsistencies in his game, and his relatively weak return game. After his first match he noted that the balls felt slower than in previous years. That could be down to the heavier conditions on day one when there was cloud cover and light rain, but the weather is due to get much warmer and that could make the ball fly faster.

The match is scheduled to be played second on Centre Court, at an estimated start time of 3pm. The weather is forecast to be clear and sunny, temperatures of up to 28 degrees Celsius, humidity of 44%, and a north-easterly breeze of 2pm.

Andy leads the head-to-head 1-0. Thanks to Bev for the head-to-head image.

* image.png (569.67 KB. 794x800 - viewed 353 times.)

[ Last edit by amongsttheleaves July 04, 2017, 11:14 PM ] IP Logged

Look this is clearly a tricky match for Murray given his recent form. Brown is someone who loves a big crowd and has even suggested that he may get more of the support tomorrow.

Guys that have attacked the net like M Zverv and Popisil have done very well against Murray this year even Thompson won by playing some aggressive grass court tennis.

This match is clearly on Brown's racket he is 2-0 v Nadal on Grass Murray has never beaten Rafa on this surface.

It will be interesting that is for sure.
IP Logged

Thanks for the intro to tomorrows challenge ATL and Bev for the hair-themed H2H.
I think there could be a risk here for Andy, I just hope he's done the homework.
IP Logged

I think there could be a risk here for Andy, I just hope he's done the homework.
From Andy on the BBC website -

"I know Dustin pretty well.  We get on well with each other. We message each other from time to time. I like him. He's really, really a nice guy.

"But in terms of the match, I expect him to be very aggressive. I think he'll go for his shots. I think he'll come forward a lot. You know, he's unpredictable.

"You know he's going to go for it. Also you know he hits a lot of drop shots. He can play slice. Sometimes he hits two first serves, goes for a huge second serve.

"It's not easy to play players like that."
IP Logged

Good luck Andy, take the confidence you gained from Mondays match and bring it with you to your math with Brown. Stay focused and play smart. Love you Andy
IP Logged

This is yours Andy, You Will Win Smile
IP Logged

Yes, you will win.  Serve well and normally you enjoy opponents rushing into the net.  You will win.
IP Logged

Good luck Andy!!
IP Logged

Andy in 3 for me.    I hoped for an option of Dustin retiring to have a hair cut.
IP Logged
deb

Thank you atl and bev fab pics Smile
Andy in 3 for me  cmon yeah
[ Last edit by deb July 05, 2017, 11:07 AM ] IP Logged

Good luck Andy.
C'mon  superman
IP Logged

Andy in 3 for me.    I hoped for an option of Dustin retiring to have a hair cut.
Not too likely as he says he hasn't had it cut since 1996!
IP Logged

Not too likely as he says he hasn't had it cut since 1996!
Love his style.  Such a good looking man.  However, as much as that's the case, no win for you today, Dustin… naughty
IP Logged

Come on, Andy! I would cheer for Dustin against anyone but you!
IP Logged

Come on, Andy! I would cheer for Dustin against anyone but you!
highfive  Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13 Reply