MurraysWorld  >  British Tennis  >  Jo Konta
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 [133] 134 Reply

Jo Konta

It sounds to me as though Jo could now do with a thorough medical examination to determine what, if anything, is going on with her heart.
IP Logged

I'm wondering if she might be prone to anxiety attacks. I think there's also no question that the heat and humidity in Lexington right now are probably horrible. And frankly they're horrible in New York City right now too...
IP Logged

I agree that that's another possibility Tamara particularly if she's badly affected by extreme heat and humidity because I know that these suffocating conditions make me feel a bit panicky, and that's without playing tennis in them.
IP Logged

Jo doesn't think her heart palpitations are stress related -

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/aug/12/johanna-konta-grit-us-open-covid-19-but-echoes-soderlings-suffering
IP Logged

Jo serving to stay in the match at 4-5 down, having taken the 1st set 6-2 and lost the second 6-7, but gets broken to love by Cirstea.  This must be so disappointing for Jo.

Did anyone actually watch the match?  If so comments would be welcome because according the comms this defeat was unexpected.

[ Last edit by Aileen September 03, 2020, 09:11 pm ] IP Logged

yes - Cristea played good aggressive tennis and when things got tight it was her who seemed to have the belief she'd win the match. Jo's second serve got murdered, that was key.
IP Logged

^ Thanks alt.
IP Logged

I agree entirely with Althusser. Jo looked terrific in the first set, Cirstea raised her game MASSIVELY in the second set and suddenly started serving bombs and generally playing much better. Jo fought her off several times and got it to a tiebreak, but she was 6-2 down in the break, got back to 5-6 and then lost it anyway. The third set was pretty similar but Jo couldn't get the break back. And no question, her second serve became a liability and she wasn't getting nearly enough first serves in in the second half. I think it's fair to say that Cirstea played well enough to actually beat Jo, as opposed to Jo playing so terribly that she lost it on her own. Too bad.
IP Logged

^ Thank you too Tamara.
IP Logged

One thing I found a little baffling was Jo's reluctance in the final set to attack the Cirstea second serve, she wasn't even stepping closer to the baseline to return the second serve. I'm not expecting Caroline Garcia levels of second serve return attack, but when you're being bossed around on the groundstrokes you've got to put the pressure on the second serve...
IP Logged

One thing I found a little baffling was Jo's reluctance in the final set to attack the Cirstea second serve, she wasn't even stepping closer to the baseline to return the second serve. I'm not expecting Caroline Garcia levels of second serve return attack, but when you're being bossed around on the groundstrokes you've got to put the pressure on the second serve...
I know this sounds a bit silly, but I wonder if she forgot that's what you have to do on second serves. I sometimes feel that at times when you're under pressure some of these basics may go out the window...
IP Logged

I know this sounds a bit silly, but I wonder if she forgot that's what you have to do on second serves. I sometimes feel that at times when you're under pressure some of these basics may go out the window...

Maybe, stranger things have happened! It just seemed so odd that she’d treat a fairly ordinary second serve the same way she would a good first serve. Couldn’t help but think what Heather Watson would have done with some of the utter powder puff second serves Jo got a look at. Did seem to be a mental thing from Jo’s end, Cirstea played some very good tennis but Jo kind of let her.
IP Logged

Maybe, stranger things have happened! It just seemed so odd that she’d treat a fairly ordinary second serve the same way she would a good first serve. Couldn’t help but think what Heather Watson would have done with some of the utter powder puff second serves Jo got a look at. Did seem to be a mental thing from Jo’s end, Cirstea played some very good tennis but Jo kind of let her.
I felt slightly better about Jo's defeat yesterday when Cirstea played what seemed to be the exact same kind of match against Muchova (who I think is very good and going to be better), going down in the first set and then staging a huge comeback. She actually had three match points in the final set tiebreak and somehow didn't manage to clinch it. But clearly she has been having a bit of moment nonetheless.
IP Logged

Easy win for Jo in Rome but......  she nearly played her opponent back into the match with some less than purposeful returns after a bagel start.   Score 6-0 6-4
IP Logged

^I think Begu played far better in set 2, it wasn’t just a case of Jo not playing as well in that set. Good opening match on clay from Jo. Hopefully the match against Muguruza will be a good one.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 [133] 134 Reply