MurraysWorld  >  British Tennis  >  Kyle Edmund
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 154 [155] 156 157 Reply

Kyle Edmund

Anyway this is not a Davis cup thread, but it really nice to see a strong team, I have high hopes they will get through the  initial rounds and after they have has much chance as any team, so far away for those days when GB were floudering, we only have Andy to thank for that.
IP Logged

Didn't see the match but Kyle went out in R1 in Doha, losing 6-4, 3-6, 3-6 to Filip Krajinovic.  Maybe he should have gone for the ATP Cup when Andy pulled out (assuming he was asked) because at least he would have had three matches.
IP Logged

Didn't see the match but Kyle went out in R1 in Doha, losing 6-4, 3-6, 3-6 to Filip Krajinovic.  Maybe he should have gone for the ATP Cup when Andy pulled out (assuming he was asked) because at least he would have had three matches.
I don’t he could because by the time Andy pulled out he was committed
Anyway he has  won two matches in Auckland so far
At the AO he will be lower ranked, let’s hope he does not get a bad draw.
IP Logged

Kyle has managed to make it to the semis in New York. I am impressed as his matches were tight and he saw them through. He faces a player ranked 54 from Serbia called Kecmanovic so eight positions above him at the start of the tournament. A win for would lift him into top fifty (subject to one other match)

I really wish him well as I think a good run may help him a good deal at present.

The match is tomorrow afternoon (2100hrs in UK) but I do not know if their is live coverage anywhere.
IP Logged

^ There should be coverage on TennisTV and Amazon Prime, but you need to subscribe for both, although Amazon does at least offer one month's free trial.

20 year old Miomir Kecmanovic is one of the rising stars of the NextGen.
IP Logged

^ Kyle raced through the first set against Kecmanovic, taking it 6-1, but was made to work for his win in the second, finally serving it out 6-4 after breaking Kec at 4-4.  It's nice to see Kyle gradually getting his old form back after a 2019 he'll want to forget!  Plays Andreas Seppi in the final, their second meeting in a month (Auckland) with Kyle winning to take their H2H to 4-1, so here's hoping he can lift his first title since Antwerp 2018 where he defeated Gael Monfils in a thrilling three-setter.  cmon yeah

Just getting to the final though has seen Kyle's ranking jump up 12 places to #50 - and if he wins the title, then, by my calculations anyway, he should go up to #45.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 16, 2020, 11:03 pm ] IP Logged

He looked great against Kecmanovic—a lot of big serves and his backhand is so much better than it was a few years ago. His new coach is Davin, the Argentine who was Del Potro's coach back when he won the US Open! Hope this effect is more than just a new-coach bounce1
IP Logged

Good luck Kyle today  cmon yeah
IP Logged

He looked great against Kecmanovic—a lot of big serves and his backhand is so much better than it was a few years ago. His new coach is Davin, the Argentine who was Del Potro's coach back when he won the US Open! Hope this effect is more than just a new-coach bounce1
I hope so too.  In fact I'd forgotten about Davin, so thanks for the reminder.
IP Logged

Kyle breaks Seppi at 5-6 to take the first set.  cmon yeah
IP Logged

Missed the first three games of the second but Kyle is 3-0 up,

Lengthy fourth game but Seppi fends off BPs to hold.  3-1.

Kyle holds to love, helped by a lucky net cord at 40-0.  4-1.

Bummer!  Seppi leaves the court for a MTO for what looks like an upper left thigh problem.  Hope this doesn't disrupt Kyle's rhythm

Back on court now,

Longest rally of the match which Kyle wins to get the break and serve for the match,

And Kyle does it!  yay

Superb performance from Kyle, even better than the Kecmanovic match.

Happy birthday to Kyle's dad too - what a wonderful birthday present! Smile
[ Last edit by Aileen February 16, 2020, 10:54 pm ] IP Logged

I see that he beat Seppi in the final in New York.

Well done. In my opinion he really needed some success. Back up to 45th in the rankings.
IP Logged

I see that he beat Seppi in the final in New York.

Well done. In my opinion he really needed some success. Back up to 45th in the rankings.
I really do hope that Kyle can go on and win more titles now.  Also it looks as though taking on Delpo's old coach, Franco Davin, has been a good move.
IP Logged

Kyle looked terrific. All the things everyone says he has to do to win—big first serve, big first-serve percentage, huge forehands—were firing on all cylinders. Very well deserved! And good for Davin too.

The Tennis Channel here showed the award ceremony. Turned out it's Kyle's dad's birthday today and he wished him a happy birthday with a wave of the trophy. Rather sweet. He looked terribly pleased, couldn't stop smiling.
IP Logged

Kyle looked terrific. All the things everyone says he has to do to win—big first serve, big first-serve percentage, huge forehands—were firing on all cylinders. Very well deserved! And good for Davin too.

The Tennis Channel here showed the award ceremony. Turned out it's Kyle's dad's birthday today and he wished him a happy birthday with a wave of the trophy. Rather sweet. He looked terribly pleased, couldn't stop smiling.
TennisTV showed it as well, and I'm sure it's a lovely birthday present for his Dad.  I noticed that Davin gave Kyle a nod of approval a few times too.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 154 [155] 156 157 Reply