MurraysWorld  >  British Tennis  >  British tennis news
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 25 Reply

British tennis news

He’s suffering from shell shock at all those jammy above-their-game levels his last four successful opponents achieved, isn’t he?

Why do you think he’s given up? Andy is one of the few who doesn’t do that. Even Fed lashes out wildly in desperation, when he’s losing. Andy doesn’t do that. He struggles to fight back, as he’s continuing to do. Why do you think he’s not? He hasn’t broken his racquet and locked himself away has he?

By playing even better ... (and by realizing Fish hit a jammy high streak).

Ya reckon?  We’ll see how long it lasts.

You don’t reckon he WANTED to lose against Berdych do you?  He played above his game too. It happens ... to all the stars.

Fed also benefits from having more experience at attending GS finals. It must be a pretty overwhelming experience at first.
But at least Andy is GETTING the experience, isn’t he?  Don’t forget THAT!

George - I agree entirely with your comments - thank goodness for some positive input - however, I think things have got a bit off-topic here.  This is The current state of British tennis thread.  You'll get more chance of a response to your comments about Andy, and information about Andy's situation, if you go to the Fish dethrones Murray thread.  Just a friendly suggestion ... Smile
[ Last edit by Aileen April 02, 2010, 02:25 AM ] IP Logged

Oh right, Thanks for that. I forget to look for new threads. Geez I’m gonna be all behind now.
IP Logged

This, British tennis needs just now like a hole in the head.  Unfortunately it's been widely reported.  Whether Evans and his tennis mates were actually involved in this disgraceful incident or not (and there may be no substance to the woman's allegations), it'll do nothing for the image of the sport.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1263682/Dan-Evans-Tennis-star-nightclub-sex-assault-probe.html?ITO=1490

[ Last edit by Aileen April 05, 2010, 09:47 PM ] IP Logged

This, British tennis needs just now like a hole in the head.  Unfortunately it's been widely reported.  Whether Evans and his tennis mates were actually involved in this disgraceful incident or not (and there may be no substance to the woman's allegations), it'll do nothing to improve the image of the sport.

Speaking of Evans, a big tumble down the rankings today.  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged

Where did that photograph appear?  Bit unfortunate that the photo in the Mail shows the DC team before the Poland tie, and that includes Murray.
IP Logged

Where did that photograph appear?
The Telegraph.
IP Logged

Didn't notice originally that it was the second image in the Telegraph.  Oh dear.  Afraid Evans' off-court lifestyle leaves a bit to be desired.  No wonder his tennis is suffering.   
IP Logged

He is shit anyway.
IP Logged

Urgh... it doesn't make for nice reading.  Silly, silly boy.  Frown
IP Logged

Now we know about men's   Brittsh Tennis
We how know why we have only got one tennis player in the top hundred
the ones below hundred get to much sponsership and don't put the hours in  pratcising and training to busy night clubbing. Andy Murray as fought hard train  hard to get where he is so why don't the other Brittish players take a leaf out of Andy's book and train a bit harder and maybe maybe they will successed but not until they work as hard as the rest of  top the tennis players
IP Logged

don't let the idiots give everyone a bad name.  just cos evo and bainshead are a couple of twats doesn't make everyone in british tennis an undedicated, unprofessional, binge drinker.  alex ward has the right attitude, and he isn't the only one.  evo may be the most naturally talanted but he has ruined it for himself. thank god smetty overtaken him so hes not even gb no.1 teenager now. down to gb no.7 where he belongs.

as for bradshaw, just oh dear.
IP Logged

Now we know about men's   Brittsh Tennis
We how know why we have only got one tennis player in the top hundred
the ones below hundred get to much sponsership and don't put the hours in  pratcising and training to busy night clubbing. Andy Murray as fought hard train  hard to get where he is so why don't the other Brittish players take a leaf out of Andy's book and train a bit harder and maybe maybe they will successed but not until they work as hard as the rest of  top the tennis players
welcome wee lassie. Smile  As quiz says, please don't think that all British players are the same as Dan Evans and his two mates.  Whilst Andy has constantly criticsed their generally apathetic attitude, there are a few who are dedicated to the sport, have worked hard and have had a fair degree of success.  I'm thinking here mainly of Colin Fleming and Ken Skupski, our top doubles' players, and Jamie Baker, who seems to be fighting back very well after being out for 18 months due to a life-threatening illness.  Admittedly those three are older and more mature than stupid Evans, whose "bad boy" reputation is already well known, and the LTA suspended his funding two years ago when he was caught on a night out whilst competing at Wimbledon.  Also Alex Ward is a very promising, hard-working young player.

Britain cannot produce world class players like Tim Henman or Andy Murray out of a hat.  It helps considerably if an abundance of natural talent is there in the first place, but it does need to be boosted by total commitment, and that means sacrificing an awful lot of things.  Andy has very high expectations of himself, and it would be unrealistic to expect every player to feel as driven by ambition as he is, but the harsh fact is that many countries, including some of the poorer ones, have sufficient players ranked below 100 who are capable of backing up their country's top players.  Why can't we do the same?  The answer is, that until the LTA takes a good look at itself and gets the message across that tennis is not an elitist sport by providing playing and coaching facilities which are accessible to everyone, British tennis will, sadly, remain as dead as it's always been.  
[ Last edit by Aileen April 07, 2010, 07:11 AM ] IP Logged

Video dated July 2007 in which Roger Draper gives an update on progress in bringing winning to British tennis (you'll need to scroll down to find it).
Worth listening to if you can handle it - I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

However, Brad Gilbert's tips and drills, directed at British tennis and including "How to win ugly", really are worth listening to.  Pity Andy gave him the push.  

http://www.insidebritishtennis.net/#

[ Last edit by Aileen April 07, 2010, 07:14 AM ] IP Logged

Video dated July 2007 in which Roger Draper gives an update on progress in bringing winning to British tennis (you'll need to scroll down to find it).
Worth listening to if you can handle it - I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

It didn’t seem to play for me.

However, Brad Gilbert's tips and drills, directed at British tennis and including "How to win ugly", really are worth listening to.

Pity Andy gave him the push.  

Yeah right well, but ....  when you’ve heard everything endlessly repeated night and day ...  ten times over, I guess you’ve heard all you’re going to get!!

The website and pictures came up, but it was cramped and nothing played.
IP Logged

What do you mean the website was cramped?  You needed to scroll down the list on the right till you get to the Draper comments.  Have to say I agree about Gilbert, his voice was getting to me by video 3!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 25 Reply