MurraysWorld  >  Chit Chat  >  2011 Election Thread
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 19 Reply

2011 Election Thread

Caz

I fully blame the Scottish Government, do not discriminate between students based on whether they are Scottish or English.  I also pay tax here as I have to work to support myself while I attend a Scottish uni so on top of my fees, I also pay for your education, so I'm not really sure what your point is.
Actually, if you google it as I did, you'll find it's a quirk of EU and UK law, so it's not the fault of the Scottish Government! They can do nothing unless the law is changed!
IP Logged

I was making the point about tuition fees. It was the wesminster government who increased the costs of tuition fees not the Scottish Government . English students still pay less if they study at a Scottish University.  You would pay more if you went to an English University You do not pay for my education
I left school at 15 years old and I educated myself. I did not have the opportunity to go to University
I left school on a Friday and started work on the following Monday.
IP Logged

Soo much in this since I checked.

Julia, I agree that it's unfair that English students have to pay while other EU students don't- last time I checked England (as part of GB) was EU! However, will point out that Scots do pay tuition etc if they study outside Scotland.

Daisy, we don't agree on many things and this is just one more to add to the list. Yes there are a lot of things that don't change much however you vote in, but there are differences and as the electorate we can hold the government accountable for fulfilling their promises. Not voting may be a choice, but it's one with little meaning. If you don't vote you don't have a social voice in my opinion.

Caz, completely agree with you on our right to vote. The suffrage movement did more than just give women the vote. When women gained the vote it was still under the conditions that applied already, which was; you were a landowner worth at least £10 and of a certain financial and preferably social standing and had to be above 30 (I think). So when women gained the vote, it was actually a restricted number of upper class women who could then vote. However, this step then led to the expansion of the electorate roll among men and within a couple of decades we had a universal electorate, with all those in Britain over a certain age legally able to vote.
The suffrage movement gave men the ability to vote as well. So we shouldn't squander it Smile Apologies for the history lesson lol
IP Logged
Caz

On the contrary......Thanks for the History lesson Hazel, I didn't know any of that.......I found it very interesting! So men have the Suffragettes to thank for their vote as well!
IP Logged

Actually everything you do.....or don't do, has a consequence......

I agree with that.  But, whether I vote or don't vote is not going to help women in another country.
IP Logged

Caz, Yes! Yes! Yes!
Daisy, every decision made in Parliament has consequences in our personal lives

Of course it does - I don't complain about it, I just get on with it.
IP Logged

If you don't vote you don't have a social voice in my opinion.

Suits me ... like I said, I just get on with it.
IP Logged

If you don't vote do not moan about the government you get. 

I'm not moaning about the government at all.  Don't know where you think I did.
IP Logged
Caz

Daisy [off topic] Would you like to join our 'DROOL' club? Oh...you have to be over 50 though!
IP Logged

Daisy [off topic] Would you like to join our 'DROOL' club? Oh...you have to be over 50 though!

If you're drooling over Andy Murray, then no thank you.  But I appreciate the offer lol
IP Logged
Caz

If you're drooling over Andy Murray, then no thank you.  But I appreciate the offer lol
Oh no......that would be too restricting.  Any DROOLworthy male is allowed! drool w00t
IP Logged

Oh no......that would be too restricting.  Any DROOLworthy male is allowed! drool w00t

I'm curious as to why you have to be over 50 to belong to the drool club - do gals under 50 not drool over delectable guys?
IP Logged

There is already the Original Shallowville which includes lots of 'drool worthy' as well as other girly chat Smile
IP Logged
Caz

Are you too young?
IP Logged

lol
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 19 Reply